• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saturday - Manchester - NOW WITH ADDED TRIP REPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am off to see Clitheroe v Darlington on Saturday (kick off 15:00) and to make it affordable I am arriving in Manchester at about 09:00. I need to fill the day in until I get the 13:03 from Victoria to Clitheroe.

I have bene to Manchester quite a bit and done most of the tourist things so I thought of going up to Bury for the ELR gala but don’t think that will be realistic so am looking for ideas to fill the day in. Is there anything interesting running?

Any advice on a rover ticket or such like for a bit of trundling? Any advice or suggestions gratefully received!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I am off to see Clitheroe v Darlington on Saturday (kick off 15:00) and to make it affordable I am arriving in Manchester at about 09:00. I need to fill the day in until I get the 13:03 from Victoria to Clitheroe.

I have bene to Manchester quite a bit and done most of the tourist things so I thought of going up to Bury for the ELR gala but don’t think that will be realistic so am looking for ideas to fill the day in. Is there anything interesting running?

Any advice on a rover ticket or such like for a bit of trundling? Any advice or suggestions gratefully received!

Apologies for going off topic but I wonder what kind of gates Clitheroe get. It can't be easy to stay afloat with Blackburn and Burnley being so close.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Apologies for going off topic but I wonder what kind of gates Clitheroe get. It can't be easy to stay afloat with Blackburn and Burnley being so close.

I wil llet you know ;)

it is the same for a lot of small clubs. We have Boro, Sunderland and Newcastle on our door step

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Look on GB rail rover. There is a Greater Manchester Rail Ranger and a Manchester Wayfarer.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Don't forget Pathfinders "Lancs Link" Railtour with class 37s will be passing Victoria sometime around midday, don't have exact timings but due off Stockport around 10:35 & visiting the waste terminal at Newton Heath en route.

EDIT: 11:37 platform 5 at Victoria.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Brief report below - I went for the Manchester Wayfarer ticket in the end:

I started with a cab ride to MKC as i felt the connection from the Marston Vale was to tight to risk ( in the end i would have made it: just!). As the taxi was early (:o) i had a fair bit if time to kill at Milton Keynes.

This was filled wandering about till the coffee shop opened, watching several freights thunder (1 x FL 66/1x FL 70 & a DBS 66) through the station, the class 90 powered highland sleeper and surprisingly a WCRC powered "Cairngorm Mountain Statesman" from Euston to Aviemore. Clearly the MKC information screens couldn't do Aviemore as the board said Edinburgh. Close enough! 57313/314 provided the motive power to Scotland.

Soon enough 390135 rolled in and sped me north arriving at Manchester at 0910 where I purchased a Greater Manchester Rail Ranger. The first trundle was 0924 to Manchester Airport with 185147 doing the honours. A slow departure gave way to a fast run through the suburbs to Ringways.

Here I had 2 minutes to cross platforms and board 156461 working the 0940 to Liverpool which I managed by using the guard’s door as the others were closed. The unit took me back to Piccadilly but sounded rough as a bag of spanners when under power.

At Picc I hoped to make a 323 to Stockport (to see the Pathfinder tour) but just missed it opting instead for an XC Voyager (shudder) in the shape of 220232. Here i took some pictures of the 37's before boarding the 10:46 northern service to Bolton which i took as far as Salford Crescent. This service was formed of 150140.At Salford i changed very quickly onto 11:13 service consisting of 156549 & 150110 which took me to Victoria

Once i had taken some more pictures of the 37's and a 60 working a stone train and found my to some coffee i made my way to platform 5 where 150142 was waiting ready to trundle up the Ribble Valley on the 12:03 Northern Rail service to Clitheroe.

After looking round the castle (very nice & a great view form the top!) a poor match (thanks Darlo -do we want to get promoted or not?), a pre match pint and a post match "why the hell did we play like the wucking fankers" pint i boarded 156424 working the 17:44 service to Victoria which i used to Blackburn. Here I changed onto the 18:31 service which would ultimately reach Balckpool South but which only carried me to Preston courtesy of 158754.

At Preston 390137, forming the 19:01 to Euston, transported me back to MKC, where 350250/264 and a friend were waiting to work the 20:50 London Midland service to Euston. Leaving 9 minutes late meant a missed connection at Bletchely and a walk home.

I think you'd enjoy the People's History Museum if you haven't been yet.

Good idea - I have been before but i will have to pay another visit. Perhaps on my next trip to Manchester
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

about 600 there on Saturday, the majority from Darlo

Last edited:

marcouk2

Presume you were on platform 6?

I was the other guy on that platform, I thought there would have been more people waiting for the railtour at Victoria.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Presume you were on platform 6?

I was the other guy on that platform, I thought there would have been more people waiting for the railtour at Victoria.

I was - good to meet you!

I was suprresed that there were so frew but I passed a couple at Salford. I guess Victoruia can be a challenge because of the darkness of the station against the light outside

Status
Not open for further replies.