• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scarborough York Line: possible developments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroman62

I am a user of the line from Scarborough to York and would be interested in knowing more about it and any developments going forward.

I have read it’s history & note in the past how much bigger Scarborough station was and the other routes that joined the line and how it has declined with the reduced holiday traffic.

As a visually impaired person, I am not certain of a few things, so here are a couple of questions.

Apart from at Malton station, is the route all double track running?

I assume Malton is a single track station to reduce the costs of providing access to another platform. (I am aware Malton had more platforms in the past).

Does the single platform at Malton cause any capacity constraints on the line? Or is there enough double track elsewhere to provide lots of passing opportunities for services.

Although Trans Pennine have been providing a very unreliable service on the line, today has not been helped by the weather. I saw today from a distance a train heading for Scarborough station at a time I thought unusual for a normal service. The train was also quiet so I did not think it was a Class 68 set, I did not see the front, but the back looked like a driving coach or 802 set. I looked on RealTime Trains and reckon it was the 13:14 arrival into Scarborough which arrived at 14:43. I appreciate Real-time trains can only report the data it is provided, but it said the service had been cancelled even though it showed an arrival time and the unit running the service was 802215. Can 802s actually run to Scarborough?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apart from at Malton station, is the route all double track running?
Yes it is double track and it's worth noting that the track at Malton is double still but there's only one platform. If you're not calling at Malton you can simply carry straight on without going through the platform. Admittedly this is quite a rare occurrence as the only passenger trains I can think that didn't call at Malton were the summer only EMT/EMR services and they're sadly no longer with us.

So it is a constraint but only in terms scheduling passenger calls at the station.

johntea

Established Member
Weren't Northern meant to be running a York - Scarborough service at some point, probably a good time to revisit that idea!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So it is a constraint but only in terms scheduling passenger calls at the station.
Presumably this could become an issue at Malton if the timetabling was ever such (for example, an increase to 2 tph each way) that a late running York bound service then resulted in a service headed for Scarborough having to wait outside the station and also being delayed?

Bevan Price

Established Member
RTT shows 802.215 working the late-running 5T40 12:25 York - Scarborough empty stock train today, which arrived Scarborough at 14:43.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Presumably this could become an issue at Malton if the timetabling was ever such (for example, an increase to 2 tph each way) that a late running York bound service then resulted in a service headed for Scarborough having to wait outside the station and also being delayed?
Yes basically. If you've got the York bound and Scarborough bound timed to call relatively closely together then a delay to one could easily impact the other. If the Scarborough was due to call at xx15 and the York at xx20 then a delay of five minutes to the Scarborough means it wants to call at Malton at the same time so the York has to sit or wait or the York goes in front, delaying the Scarborough more, which you might well do to protect crossing the ECML!

But that's, to my knowledge, the only significant capacity constraint on the line and with a bit of careful timetabling not insurmountable.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Weren't Northern meant to be running a York - Scarborough service at some point, probably a good time to revisit that idea!
It's had a few stops and starts! I think Covid killed it off initially, they had a go at training up for it again, I think, at some point in the last year or two but that died off as well. I suspect it's an idea which is still on a back burner somewhere.

JD2168

The only one I know of is the service from York to Bridlington via Hull, this could be extended to Scarborough to have this link, particularly during the summer months as the service to Scarborough from Sheffield gets very full at times.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The only one I know of is the service from York to Bridlington via Hull, this could be extended to Scarborough to have this link, particularly during the summer months as the service to Scarborough from Sheffield gets very full at times.
That's a different service; Northern have/had aspirations to run the direct York to Scarborough line, but there is no news on this currently.

Last edited:

Metroman62

That's a different service; Northern have/had aspirations to run the direct York to Scarborough line, but there is no news on this currently.

A Northern service would be welcome. Perhaps the York Bridlington service could be made into a circular route - York / Bridlington / Scarborough/ York.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperNova

A second platform is in the offing for Malton. Northern won't be running anything up to Scarborough, TPE should be running additional services instead but that's a way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.