• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scariest Thing You Do As A Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECML180

So watching a train arrive into platform 6 at Doncaster, while one left from platform 4 I noticed how close they were before they switched lines. For a good few seconds they were approaching at speed, which to a driver powerless to steer must have been a weird feeling.

So including or aside from appearing to collide, what is the most nerve racking event you've faced on the railway?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dieseldriver

Cat C SPAD (signal replaced to danger in an emergency) at 90mph approaching a sweeping right hand curve. Close calls with people on crossings (if people spent any amount of time in a driving cab they would be shocked at how frequantly this happens). A mile and a quarter slide in emergency from 70mph approaching a 35mph curve. This is in just over a year of solo driving.

lincolnshire

So watching a train arrive into platform 6 at Doncaster, while one left from platform 4 I noticed how close they were before they switched lines. For a good few seconds they were approaching at speed, which to a driver powerless to steer must have been a weird feeling.

So including or aside from appearing to collide, what is the most nerve racking event you've faced on the railway?

Thats why you need route knowledge so you know where your goin with your signals and also the signalling will not allow for a conflicting movement as in your description.

There is more to driving a train than some people think, route knowledge is one of the biggest items a driver has to know.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member

Maybe if it's your first time in a cab. A driver will have hundreds of hours of in cab experience and be passed competent over a route before he or she is let out on their own so stuff like you describe will feel completely normal.

It's things which are out of the ordinary that are scary, mostly that is people being where they shouldn't be. Killing somebody or having a near miss is the most common answer you will get to this question, followed by brakes not working as they should, especially on approach to a place where you absolutely need to stop like a red signal or a station platform.

driver9000

Established Member
Two Cat B SPADs, running into a large flock of Sheep, near misses, fatality, hitting obstructions placed on the line, some incredibly long slides in low adhesion just to mention a few.

fowler9

Established Member
When I applied to be a driver a colleague said that it would be a good job because all they do is press the go button. I advised them not to say that if they ever met any of my friends who are drivers. Ha ha.

Minilad

Established Member
Where does approaching a really crowded platform rank on the scary scale?

I think that would depend on the situation. A platform full of commuters at rush hour wouldn't raise much concern. A platform full of people after a night out and a bit under the influence or after a football match or some event where people might be in high sprits may be a bit different.

Personally I get much more concerned approaching a half barrier LC at speed when I can see a car approaching. You just never know what some car drivers might risk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Driver Team Manager. ie Your Boss

ECML180

Cheers for the replies, surprises me that most people seem to pick within one or two areas, e.g. 'fatality' or 'low adhesion'. Whilst I don't doubt that sort of thing is pretty nerve racking I had expected to get a fairly different thing from each person, you live and learn!

Minilad

Established Member
Cheers for the replies, surprises me that most people seem to pick within one or two areas, e.g. 'fatality' or 'low adhesion'. Whilst I don't doubt that sort of thing is pretty nerve racking I had expected to get a fairly different thing from each person, you live and learn!

I think there are a few things that the vast majority of drivers would be apprehensive about. But there are also many things that each individual will be worried about but others may not. Maybe because of personal experiences

otomous

People jumping in and out of closing doors
People on the white line with their back to you on the phone
People riding bikes/skateboards/scooters along the platform
Sliding when you put the brake in
Signal going back to danger
People thinking it's funny to pretend to jump
A wrong direction movement
Drunk/football crowds
Fire

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
As a football fan I apologise for the number of shouts for football crowds. Although I would say any large group of people that may be drunk would be a problem. St Patriks Day in Liverpool must be worse along with that mad Orange day when everyone goes to Southport.

Propelling a full DVT/MK4 rake towards buffer stops with the 08 Pilot and putting your faith in the Bounds Green shunters and your radio.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Changing ends via the engine room on a class 67 when it is running. Mighty intimidating!!!

455driver

Veteran Member
Going past the international flyover on the up Windsor line with a train approaching on the down Windsor fast, you are actually head on up to the points and you do look at the points to make sure they are set to direct you to the left (and the other train is directed to his left as well)! :lol:

I would love to get a video of it to post up but that would probably lead to tea and no biscuits. Actually no probably about it, it would lead to tea and no biscuits.

A-driver

Established Member
Stoats nest junction is very similar. Had a 60TSR on it when I was working down there but I believe is a 70mph junction. When 2 trains are approaching you do end up going head on for a bit at 60mph. Some driving instructors used to scream and duck down when they crossed the junction as another train approached if they had a new trainee to wind them up. I think they had to stop after one put the emerg brake in and caused a delay!

Western Lord

Driving at 125mph in the dark not knowing if their may be an obstruction ahead? On the other hand driving at 125mph in daylight and seeing an obstruction ahead and knowing their is no way to avoid it may be worse (although you could maybe get out of the cab).

ExRes

Established Member
Changing ends via the engine room on a class 67 when it is running. Mighty intimidating!!!

Is this not a contender for scariest ?, didn't we fight for years to put an end to unsafe practices like this or am I dreaming, I thought the reasons for entering the engine room nowadays were very specific and for the H&S protection of Drivers, perhaps ASLEF and some companies are happy for their staff to still be put in unsafe positions though

Is this not a contender for scariest ?, didn't we fight for years to put an end to unsafe practices like this or am I dreaming, I thought the reasons for entering the engine room nowadays were very specific and for the H&S protection of Drivers, perhaps ASLEF and some companies are happy for their staff to still be put in unsafe positions though

What's unsafe about it?

Lockwood

If it was a situation where you either had to change ends inside, or outside with live tracks (in either sense), wouldn't inside be the safer?

ExRes

Established Member
What's unsafe about it?

Let's try ;

Noise levels

Heat levels from working engine and ancillaries

Slipping hazard from oil on floor
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If it was a situation where you either had to change ends inside, or outside with live tracks (in either sense), wouldn't inside be the safer?

If by live track you mean, for instance, 3rd rail, then you use the opposite side to the 3rd rail, if you mean by live tracks the running line(s), then you request/demand a block on those lines while changing ends, after a number of totally stupid requests by signallers I wouldn't change ends under any circumstances without a block, I'm on the track they're not

sutty

Curious... Why would you need to change ends? Even more curious, are there any pics anywhere of the engine room? I always wondered what they look like.

So what's the difference between a maintenance engineer being in the engine room with the engine running and a driver?

The noise levels do require hearing protection but that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.