• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotland bus funding cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMc7

Established Member
There is an article from The Herald that gives some pretty grim reading into the upcoming funding cuts this month in Scotland. I've quoted the full article below:

HUNDREDS of bus routes face the axe and fares are set to be hiked as a Scottish Government fund worth an estimated £35 million a year is halted at the end of the month, experts are warning.

The end of the Covid recovery backing through meant that a bus services support budget for bus services has been cut by 37.1% from £99.4m to £62.5m.

But there are concerns that the end of the Network Support Grant coupled with soaring inflationary pressures including the rising cost of fuel, energy and wage costs will further exacerbate a decade of decline with many communities effectively cut off from the public transport network with cuts to the number of buses, service cuts and fare rises in Scotland.

It comes as it emerged that the number of public service buses in Scotland has already slumped by nearly 25% from 4800 ten years ago to 3,700 in 2020/21.

McGill’s Buses, one of Scotland's biggest independent bus companies, say they are now planning 13% cuts to services in Renfrewshire and Inverclyde and have predicted that they will not be alone and that 600-800 more buses will have to go across Scotland very soon.

Concerns over the future of buses comes as the public are encouraged to ditch gas guzzling cars and use public transport to cut emissions and tackle climate change.

The bus service resuscitation was put in place to support bus services and protect fares while patronage continues to recover from the impacts of the pandemic.

It would also allow the running of routes that might not be otherwise commercially viable. But Department for Transport figures already show that the number of bus passenger journeys in Scotland in 2022 has not recovered from the pandemic - and are still 35.2% down.

Even before the pandemic, the number of passenger journeys on local bus services had dropped by 16% in 10 years to 363,000.

Initially introduced to help protect fares as the country recovered from the pandemic, the grant has been regularly extended The last u-turn over ending the mechanism to assist bus service recovery without replacement was in October, last year.

In June ministers confirmed additional funding of £25.7 million was being provided to extend recovery funding.

Transport minister Jenny Gilruth said at the time: “For our health, our climate and our communities, we will continue to support our bus industry and encourage the shift away from cars and towards sustainable public transport."

Public transport campaigners are pushing government to continue to support buses during a decade of decline.

Colin Howden, director of sustainable transport charity Transform Scotland, said: “This is a very worrying time for the prospects for Scotland’s bus services. The imminent end of the Covid support grants risks leading to major cuts to bus services and frequencies, and increased fares.

“Given the reliance on buses of those on lowest incomes, the next few months could inflict serious harm on those already suffering from transport poverty. We’re particularly concerned about the impacts on bus services in rural areas, where many routes are already financially marginal, and where local authorities may not have the funds to ensure that bus routes are maintained.

"Far too little national political attention is paid to bus services. We’ve seen precisely no attention given to this matter during the SNP leadership campaign, with the only transport focus being on demands for new road-building, which will disproportionately benefit richer households.

“The prospects for buses are only going to be turned around when action is taken to make bus services more attractive to commuters. progress in decarbonising the bus fleet, but there’s little prospect that the Government’s promise that half of the bus fleet be run on zero-carbon fuels by the end of this year will be met."

An analysis by McGill's suggests there could be 600-800 fewer buses very soon compared to pre-Covid levels.

McGill’s media and political adviser Jack Irvine said: "As the nation struggles to build a damaged economy it is vitally important that the working population has the means to travel. Add the challenges of the young getting to school and university and older people getting to medical appointments it is clear the Scottish Government needs to employ some serious joined up thinking to the problem.”

Ralph Roberts, chief executive of the McGill’s Group, said the financial support had aided delivery of local bus services since the start of the Covid pandemic in 2020.

He said that Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT), which was created by Transport Scotland and is part-funded by the Scottish Government and is responsible for planning and coordinating regional transport had the power to step in with financial support where journeys or services are considered to be socially necessary.

He said that they have advised the SPT of the proposed changes they are already bringing forward "so they can weigh up potential replacement services".

He said: “Just as Covid was unprecedented, we understand that these service changes post-pandemic are unique. Whilst we fully recognise the extent of service changes, we have worked hard to try and adjust other McGill’s services to cover some or all of the cancelled service routes. This detail is important as we shape the most efficient bus provision for the region moving forward.”

He said that the grant funding to date had allowed more bus services to run than would otherwise be affordable.

“The pandemic has resulted in changes to how, when and why people travel. More recently, the industry, like wider economy and the population at-large, has been hit by inflationary pressures - such as fuel, energy, materials and wage costs. It now costs us approximately 25% more to keep buses on the road than it did before Covid," he explained.

“On most services, the number of journeys being made is between 80-90% of pre-pandemic levels. But, given the increased costs, this means we need to make some changes to routes and timetables - both to reflect current demand, and to ensure the future viability of our networks across Renfrewshire and Inverclyde."

A Transport Scotland spokesman said: “We’re clear that the support provided to transport operators needs to evolve to make sure it remains fit for purpose and is sustainable long term.

“The Network Support Grant plus was always a temporary fund; designed to provide additionality during Covid. All bus operators who agreed to take part in the scheme signed up on the proviso that it would be finally ending this March. A key agreement between bus operators and Transport Scotland has been the addition of extra funding to support a marketing campaign from Scottish Government, to encourage people back to bus.

“We provided £223m in emergency funding to support bus services during the pandemic.

“Scotland has the most generous concessionary scheme in the UK. More than a third of the population, over 2.3 million people, including everyone under 22 and over 60, and disabled people and carers, can benefit from free bus travel. Additionally, the Scottish Government is progressing the Fair Fares Review to ensure a sustainable and integrated approach to public transport fares that supports the long term viability of our public transport system as we recover from the pandemic.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
If that is the case, the end result will be the bus companies will just get nationalised. I still doubt SPT will finally tighten its belt.

JKP

I cannot see why companies would be nationalised. I doubt if the Holyrood Govt could afford that. Franchising may be the better way forward in urban areas. Many bus routes in the Borders, Dumfries and Galloway, Highlands, Argyll and Bute, the islands and Aberdeenshire are provided on behalf of Councils now. It would not be too great a step in the more rural areas to let one large or a series of mini franchises eg one based on a particular town. This would also give smaller operators a bite at the cherry.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The problem I always find is that the majority of people are generally clueless when it comes to the costs of the industry so will just blame operators anytime cuts are made. This will just heighten that problem sadly.

The screaming of "bad operators cut essential services" from politicians also doesn't help with this as many of them are also clueless. The industry realistically needs as much funding as trains get to be what it should be and we are only getting further away from that.

Simon75

On Moderation
The problem I always find is that the majority of people are generally clueless when it comes to the costs of the industry so will just blame operators anytime cuts are made. This will just heighten that problem sadly.

The screaming of "bad operators cut essential services" from politicians also doesn't help with this as many of them are also clueless. The industry realistically needs as much funding as trains get to be what it should be and we are only getting further away from that.
In addition most people think they run to make profit for shareholders, and should be nationalised , so shareholders don't benefit

I cannot see why companies would be nationalised. I doubt if the Holyrood Govt could afford that. Franchising may be the better way forward in urban areas. Many bus routes in the Borders, Dumfries and Galloway, Highlands, Argyll and Bute, the islands and Aberdeenshire are provided on behalf of Councils now. It would not be too great a step in the more rural areas to let one large or a series of mini franchises eg one based on a particular town. This would also give smaller operators a bite at the cherry.
Are there any figures on the a cost if they were nationalised?

PaulMc7

Established Member
In addition most people think they run to make profit for shareholders, and should be nationalised , so shareholders don't benefit
The responses to my local company (First Glasgow) are full of people like that. The thing that they don't realise is that companies making massive profits tend to subsidise loss making services within that profit if the amount of profit is much higher.

First done it for years until Covid and driver shortages hit with some services being loss making for quite a few years before being axed.

The other thing is the classic "pay staff more" when driver shortages are blamed for cancellations. People don't realise even £15 an hour pay would flatten most operators in weeks after this funding cut.

There aren't actually that many massive companies in the industry that serve Scotland anymore and even First are now down to 2 operations in Scotland. In terms of area cover, it's really Stagecoach and then the number of areas drops off wildly.

DunsAndrew

After reading the article about the funding cuts I e-mailed the Transport Portfolio Holder on Scot. Borders Council immediately but I have not even had an acknowledgement to my query if the local authority will make up any of the funding that will be lost here in the Borders.
It may be a question they don't want asked as generally I get quick acknowledgements.

JKP

SBC have increased spending for 2023 in that they have found an additional £100k to pay for the 101/102 Dumfries to Edinburgh service from 1st April. This is money that was cut from their budget back in 2018.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The funding isn't even cut yet and so far Lothian Buses are increasing prices, Stagecoach have announced increased prices across the board and Mcgills have announced price increases for Renfrewshire, Inverclyde and West Lothian as well as a lot of cuts coming on May 1st in Renfrewshire.

I'd expect a lot more in the way of cuts and price increases sadly.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The funding isn't even cut yet and so far Lothian Buses are increasing prices, Stagecoach have announced increased prices across the board and Mcgills have announced price increases for Renfrewshire, Inverclyde and West Lothian as well as a lot of cuts coming on May 1st in Renfrewshire.
Lothian, Stagecoach and McGills are all raising their fares after the date the funding is cut ;)

overthewater

Established Member
Why is anyone surprised with the Stagecoach increases, this happens all the time in spring for the last 15 years now?

Falcon1200

Established Member
From the article linked by @PaulMc7 in Post #1:

“Scotland has the most generous concessionary scheme in the UK. More than a third of the population, over 2.3 million people, including everyone under 22 and over 60, and disabled people and carers, can benefit from free bus travel." (Transport Scotland Spokesman)

It would be interesting to know how the concessionary schemes have affected bus revenue in Scotland, ie are more people using buses with the operators being adequately recompensed so that income has increased; Or are people who would previously have paid now travelling for nothing resulting in a drop in income? Personally, I am grateful for my Scottish pensioner's bus pass and it has definitely increased my bus usage. But, as with all 'free' schemes, someone does have to pay for it eventually.

JKP

Observation especially at weekends would suggest that more young people are using the bus. On Sunday, out of 9 passengers boarding at the town centre terminus, 8 were probably u22 pass holders.

Scottish Borders Council recently issued a statement saying that 40% of those using the Berwickshire Pingo DRT introduced last year were u22 pass holders.

At the other end, I suggest that over 60 travel is down especially on longer distance routes. I think this may be due to revised timetables the source of which can only be found on line, Town centres becoming less attractive, reduced number of activities i.e clubs and societies not restarting after Covid, and continued nervousness about travelling on public transport. That said, I have also observed that bus services only running once or twice a week have recovered loadings. Presumably this is because these folk have no choice if they want to go shopping, meet up socially.

PaulMc7

Established Member
So now that we've had a few weeks to see further damage to bus services and more fare increases, I guess that we can agree that the funding cut has been an utter disaster?

DunsBus

Established Member
SBC have increased spending for 2023 in that they have found an additional £100k to pay for the 101/102 Dumfries to Edinburgh service from 1st April. This is money that was cut from their budget back in 2018.
Ironically, they're now paying the same as they were prior to 2018 but now for an inferior service that was brought about by their budget cuts.

JKP

Ironically, they're now paying the same as they were prior to 2018 but now for an inferior service that was brought about by their budget cuts.
Correct. The new timetable has much more layover at both Biggar and Edinburgh no doubt due to reliability concerns due to congestion in addition to driver’s hours requirements. To run the pre April timetable would require an additional bus.

overthewater

Established Member
Is that why they took out one bus worth of work? There a 2 hour gap in mid morning and late afternoon.

oldman

In theory the old timetable used four buses, but Stagecoach had to bring in an extra (fifth) bus to deal with the congestion in Edinburgh - I quite often saw it coming in out of service through Morningside mid-morning.

Accessing and egressing Edinburgh is a particular challenge for the service given the level of congestion experienced on this section of route, impacting on
reliability and requiring the current operator to provide a spare vehicle in Edinburgh to mitigate this issue.
SPT report

Status
Not open for further replies.