• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotland - Framework out of the pandemic - 23rd February 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
From may the late services are back, though are taxis still essential travel only?
I doubt you'll find a single cab or ride service in the whole of Scotland that's willing to turn down "non-essential" business right now. Unlike buses and trains they've essentially been left to go to the wall.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail12

Why on earth would ScotRail not ramp up trains when things open?

Not learned a thing from last summer. I still remember that last train at 2200 being packed in July.

duncanp

Established Member
And COVID is now no longer the leading cause of death in Scotland.

Are you listening, Nicola Sturgeon, Devi Sridhar....?

March was the first month since October that Covid was not the leading cause of death in Scotland.
National Records of Scotland figures reveal the virus-related death rate fell from 259 per 100,000 population in February to 69 last month.
Official statistics also confirm a further 34 deaths where Covid was mentioned on the death certificate were registered up until 11 April.
This brings the total under the weekly measure to 10,031.
Since Sunday, a further three Covid deaths have been registered within 28 days of a positive test for the virus.
Last week Scotland passed the 10,000 deaths milestone, 13 months after the first was reported.
The monthly NRS analysis revealed Covid was the fifth leading cause of death in March after cancer, dementia/Alzheimer's, circulatory and respiratory causes - having been number one for five months in a row.
Overall, one in eight deaths last month had the virus as the underlying cause.
The report said: "This month on month decrease is similar in size to what was seen between May and June of 2020, when the first 'lockdown' was beginning to ease."

The weekly NRS report reveals the number of deaths linked to Covid registered between 5 April and 11 April, decreased by four from the previous week's total.
Since the recent peak of 452 between 18-24 January, deaths have now fallen for 11 consecutive weeks.
More than three quarters of the latest weekly deaths (76%) occurred in hospitals, where 26 were recorded. There were also five deaths in care homes and three at home or in non-institutional settings.
Half the deaths were of people aged 75 or over.

Butts

Veteran Member
I've seen people get FPNs at Waverley but only when they've been picked out for other reasons.

Was that for fare dodging or mask infringement ?

I better take my Ausweis just in case.

Hope the BTP are not at Carlisle! Hopefully from the 26th I will get a day out to England.
[a

I'm in Berwick-upon-Tweed later today so I'll report back on any problems either end.

As of this Friday, all “essential only” is scrapped, hopefully for good.

For some of us it never existed.

ld0595

Just a quick thing,

Scotrail have confirmed on Facebook they are not upping train services until Mid May, regardless of things being eased. So if anyone is planning to stay out late, it’s worth knowing.

Imo, that’s a shambles and will simply push everyone onto the last train. Scotrail have enough bad flack at the minute. I can see custom moving over to the buses, especially with the strikes.

Pretty poor to be honest. Can anyone who is in the know explain why it'll take a month to ramp services back up? Appreciate its not something that can be done in a week and there will be driver training etc. but not increasing anything until mid May seems daft.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well as I suspected no sign of plod or any other officials at Waverley or Berwick-upon-Tweed to discourage people traveling from Scotland to England even though it is theoretically forbidden.

Happy to report I enjoyed Esterella Lager and Glenfiddich Whisky in the confines of a lovely sunny garden at The Kings Arms Hotel. A lot of the smaller Pubs were not open presumably because they have no outdoor facilities.

Only downside was the plastic glasses. Did not have to provide any contact details. I know it is close to the border but there seemed an inordinate number of Scottish voices enjoying the hospitality.

Anyone who is dithering, no one is checking, England is open to Scottish Residents.

route101

Established Member
Well as I suspected no sign of plod or any other officials at Waverley or Berwick-upon-Tweed to discourage people traveling from Scotland to England even though it is theoretically forbidden.

Happy to report I enjoyed Esterella Lager and Glenfiddich Whisky in the confines of a lovely sunny garden at The Kings Arms Hotel. A lot of the smaller Pubs were not open presumably because they have no outdoor facilities.

Only downside was the plastic glasses. Did not have to provide any contact details. I know it is close to the border but there seemed an inordinate number of Scottish voices enjoying the hospitality.

Anyone who is dithering, no one is checking, England is open to Scottish Residents.
Tempted to go to Carlisle myself. No doubt I'll run into the BTP.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I wonder if there will be police at Glasgow Central waiting for arrivals from England which ran nonstop from Carlisle. A block on platforms 1/2

Scotrail12

I wonder if there will be police at Glasgow Central waiting for arrivals from England which ran nonstop from Carlisle. A block on platforms 1/2
I certainly haven't seen any this week. If anything, police presence at Queen St/Central has basically vanished since Easter and their extra powers are basically up as of tomorrow.

route101

Established Member
Never seen it happen, though would be easy for them to do.

gnolife

Established Member
Never seen it happen, though would be easy for them to do.
I've ran into them twice at GLC; once on my way to Manchester in late December and once on my way back in mid January. In both cases it took less than 30 seconds to convince them that my reasons for travel were legitimate.

Butts

Veteran Member

You are over thinking it, no one is interested in where people are going and certainly isn't being policed.

I'm going from Falkirk via Haymarket and back so that wouldn't affect me.

I've ran into them twice at GLC; once on my way to Manchester in late December and once on my way back in mid January. In both cases it took less than 30 seconds to convince them that my reasons for travel were legitimate.

I think the novelty has worn off and they have rarely been seen since an initial show of presence.

I certainly haven't seen any this week. If anything, police presence at Queen St/Central has basically vanished since Easter and their extra powers are basically up as of tomorrow.

Edinburgh has been the same, when they were there they were just a normal presence not checking peoples destinations.

The Airports are the same, the only half-hearted implementation seems to have been on the roads.

Can anyone point to an example where someone has been fined for or prevented from travelling between England and Scotland by Rail or Air ?

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes, I did earlier in the thread.

That was for being "scumbags....."

I am talking about people being fined for travelling from Scotland to England by Air or Rail not misbehaving.

Had these miscreants breached the cross-border rule ?

Just got back from a trip to Carlisle from Falkirk - it was manic down there queues a mile long outside the two Spoons by the Station.

No plod no problems :E

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
That was for being "scumbags....."

I am talking about people being fined for travelling from Scotland to England by Air or Rail not misbehaving.

Had these miscreants breached the cross-border rule ?

Just got back from a trip to Carlisle from Falkirk - it was manic down there queues a mile long outside the two Spoons by the Station.

No plod no problems :E
Was in Carlisle myself today. Not for a pint though, only pub I seen open was the Spoons. No police at Glasgow Central on departure or arrival. There was two BTP officers on P4. I seen them stand and watch people off the Scotrail service. With the one way system, I can see them easily checking if they want to.

I did notice two travellers who had clearly flown into England and used the train to Glasgow. One from Romania and other from Dubai.

Butts

Veteran Member
Was in Carlisle myself today. Not for a pint though, only pub I seen open was the Spoons. No police at Glasgow Central on departure or arrival. There was two BTP officers on P4. I seen them stand and watch people off the Scotrail service. With the one way system, I can see them easily checking if they want to.

I did notice two travellers who had clearly flown into England and used the train to Glasgow. One from Romania and other from Dubai.

There were a few Café Bars open as well, but none of the traditional Pubs have outside capacity.

Sad to see The Hotel by the Station closed (some old LMS signage up the alley) was that pre-pandemic ?

Dumfries trains emblazoned with Scotrail are not as good cover as Avanti, TPE or XC if they were out to nick people :E

kez19

Established Member
There were a few Café Bars open as well, but none of the traditional Pubs have outside capacity.

Sad to see The Hotel by the Station closed (some old LMS signage up the alley) was that pre-pandemic ?

Dumfries trains emblazoned with Scotrail are not as good cover as Avanti, TPE or XC if they were out to nick people :E

I’ve always thought it looks weird in Newcastle seeing “Scotrail” down there just looks odd! Then again Northern have some of their carriages/trains

headshot119

Established Member

Assuming you are on about the old Hallmark on the right as you leave the main entrance, the group was bought up by Best Western just as the pandemic started, it was shut to be refurbished (Having stayed there when I first moved to Carlisle it's a bit dated inside). It then got caught up in the Covid shut down, then was commandeered as a Covid recovery center, but should hopefully be reopening in time for summer.

Butts

Veteran Member
Assuming you are on about the old Hallmark on the right as you leave the main entrance, the group was bought up by Best Western just as the pandemic started, it was shut to be refurbished (Having stayed there when I first moved to Carlisle it's a bit dated inside). It then got caught up in the Covid shut down, then was commandeered as a Covid recovery center, but should hopefully be reopening in time for summer.

Thanks for the update.

route101

Established Member
I doubt you'll find a single cab or ride service in the whole of Scotland that's willing to turn down "non-essential" business right now. Unlike buses and trains they've essentially been left to go to the wall.
Never heard of Taxis being for essential use only, how would that be enforced?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Never heard of Taxis being for essential use only, how would that be enforced?
Driver probably asks why you’re travelling. If you say you’re working when you’re going with a group of mates to the beach, I imagine it’ll be a case of “sorry mate, essential only” (In theory, anyway...)

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Driver probably asks why you’re travelling. If you say you’re working when you’re going with a group of mates to the beach, I imagine it’ll be a case of “sorry mate, essential only” (In theory, anyway...)

Might be litter picking ? :E

liam456

Scotland's hospitality guidance is still determined to inconvenience people despite the government having to reopen somewhat on the 26th. (This really feels like the way they treat the public!)

Apparently those from different househoulds will have to social distance while sat at tables. Guess they'll just have a nice time indoors then once people realise how quicky they'll be turned away once they tell restaurants, e.t.c. they're from different households.

kez19

Established Member
Scotland's hospitality guidance is still determined to inconvenience people despite the government having to reopen somewhat on the 26th. (This really feels like the way they treat the public!)

Apparently those from different househoulds will have to social distance while sat at tables. Guess they'll just have a nice time indoors then once people realise how quicky they'll be turned away once they tell restaurants, e.t.c. they're from different households.

Comments on the article are going down...well

I’m guessing armed guards will be waiting at St Enoch shopping centre telling families and other people not to mix!

Ediswan

Established Member
Comments on the article are going down...well
I noticed that the BBC article also says:
South of the border people can now visit bars and restaurants outdoors but must either follow the rule of six, or be in a group of any size with no more than two households present. Tables must be socially distanced.
There was discussion about distancing in England between households at the same table a short while back. No firm concluson was reached, but the BBC statement is consistent with the de facto situation that it isn't happening and nobody seems to be claiming any 'rules' are being broken.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Oh dear. Dear dear me.

Not good...

Very annoyed at this as it does seem they are trying to derail Hospitality at every chance.

takno

Established Member

I did enjoy the quote from Linda Bauld. You can just picture her thinking "Jesus! You leave the meeting for five minutes for a quick fag and Nicola slips in this rubbish. Am I going to have to spend the rest of my life saving Nicola from her own stupidity?"

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I did enjoy the quote from Linda Bauld. You can just picture her thinking "Jesus! You leave the meeting for five minutes for a quick fag and Nicola slips in this rubbish. Am I going to have to spend the rest of my life saving Nicola from her own stupidity?"
When I first read the article, I misread the line before her quote as "emphasised the guidance was daft" instead of "draft". Works just as well though!

kez19

Established Member
I noticed that the BBC article also says:

There was discussion about distancing in England between households at the same table a short while back. No firm concluson was reached, but the BBC statement is consistent with the de facto situation that it isn't happening and nobody seems to be claiming any 'rules' are being broken.

All governments should stop peddling about with all these distances, it’s clear no one has a clue and again clear it’s a make it up as we go along approach

I like the fact Linda says allow businesses have their say but is not down to people like her and Government that say they’ll listen but steamroll over it regardless of views?

Status
Not open for further replies.