• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

subway156

I guess I could just check schedules, but maybe we can discuss the line that runs into Glasgow. My step-daughter lives in Fife (near Leven) and we are thinking of taking the train from Kirkaldy to Glasgow. My wife thinks we'd have to go to Edinburgh first. Is that true? One more thing, what manufacturer builds the ScotRail units? Are they made by Skoda? Just nosin' around.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
AFAIK, you will have to go via Edinburgh (No bad thing ;)).

Of the FSR stock;
The 156s were built by Metro-Cammel; the 170s by Adtranz (Now Bombardier); the 158s, 314s, 318s, 320s and 322s were built by BREL, as were the Mk2 and Mk3 coaches; the 334s by Alstom.
And of the DBS locos that are used on some FSR services (Caledonian Sleeper and a couple of Fife Circle services); the 67s were built by Alstom and the 90s by BREL.

The 90s have the nickname 'Skodas'.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
In the context of this form, Scotland doesn't count as International!

Whilst Skoda do make rail vehicles, I don't think any have yet to make it to this country.

rail-britain

Established Member
There are still some direct services, between Kirkcaldy and Glasgow QS

Monday - Friday
07:14 Kirkcaldy - 08:46 Glasgow QS
17:33 Glasgow QS - 19:04 Kirkcaldy

Otherwise, as above, change at Haymarket

me123

Established Member
Changing at Haymarket or Edinburgh Waverley is your only option I'm afraid, unless you can go at the above times. As for trains, Glasgow-Edinburgh is always 170 operated now. And you're likely to get a 170 to Kirkcaldy, but it may be a 158.

The journey is about 1.5 hours long, give or take a bit depending on what train you get.

Established Member
As for trains, Glasgow-Edinburgh is always 170 operated now.

Not always, he could get a 322, although, I'm not sure how many of the North Berwick shuttles actually run all the way through to Glasgow.
Also, what NXEC, Virgin and XC services go from Edinburgh to Glasgow now?

rail-britain

Established Member
NXEC :
Roughly every two hours between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh, journey time is typically 1 hour and 10 minutes

Virgin :
There are no regular services between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh

Cross Country :
A few services between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh, mostly early morning and late evening
The journey times vary between 1 hour and 10 minutes, up to 1 hour and 25 minutes

driver9000

Established Member
Whilst Skoda do make rail vehicles, I don't think any have yet to make it to this country.

I think Skoda rail vehicles are mostly in the former eastern-bloc countries, none are in traffic in the UK.

me123

Established Member
Not always, he could get a 322, although, I'm not sure how many of the North Berwick shuttles actually run all the way through to Glasgow.

I was assuming running to Queen Street. It's quicker than the Central runs, and more frequent to boot. All Queen Street services are Scotrail operated.

However, as has been said, there are a few trains run to Glasgow Central which you could take if you wish. An hourly service via Shotts (About an hour and a half end-to-end) and a service every two hours or so with NXEC and Cross Country which is about an hour in length.

However, these are relatively infrequent compared to the turn-up-and-go 15 minute frequency from Queen Street, which takes only 15 minutes. I'd say it's by far your best option to rely on this one.

Jordy

Established Member
This thread has been moved to NR General Discussion because, as jopsuk said, in this context, Scotland doesn't count as International ;)

tbtc

Veteran Member
There's an hourly coach from Leven to Glasgow (two coaches an hour from Kirkcaldy to Glasgow), but I'll probably get shot down in flames for suggesting another form of public transport!

djw1981

Established Member
If you have little luggage / are fairly spritely, change at Haymarket - it's a cross platform change going from Glasgow - Fife, and only one set of stairs, across the bridge and down again on the return. Waverly could be adjacent platforms or could be right across the station.

Pumbaa

Established Member
However, these are relatively infrequent compared to the turn-up-and-go 15 minute frequency from Queen Street, which takes only 15 minutes. I'd say it's by far your best option to rely on this one.

Crikey - journey time's come down since I last travelled!

Status
Not open for further replies.