• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail class 156 refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLothian

The heating has always been an issue. The heat control system was modified a few years ago, saloon heating when it was on was always toastie in my experience.

On a very heavily loaded service out of Queen Street a year or two ago, the conductor stood in the coach and loudly announced that there were two settings for the air conditioning. He rattled a window open "That's on!", and slammed it shut - "and that's off!"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On a very heavily loaded service out of Queen Street a year or two ago, the conductor stood in the coach and loudly announced that there were two settings for the air conditioning. He rattled a window open "That's on!", and slammed it shut - "and that's off!"

Sometimes you've got to love the Scots :D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Whilst I dont like Ironing Bords I cant wate to try this. Will be interesting.

Much as I do like them, the different base used by ScotRail in the Hitachi units (I expect also in these units) makes a huge difference.

A further advantage will be the increased legroom because of the thinner seat backs if the original layout is indeed used.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I have since tried this and whilst the seating is hard there is notably more padding than the likes of the 700s and once bedded in might prove to quite cumfy.

Still wish the Gramma seating GWR and the 25 Inverness 158s use, incidentally the latter have been redone nicely in their refresh and are now even nicer.

TEW

Established Member
I caught one of the refurbished units a couple of weeks ago. Whilst the seats were certainly better than those fitted to the 387s and 700s, I was still very unimpressed. It is a slightly better version of a terrible design of seat, it is still too firm for my liking. I only did Glasgow to Kilmarnock, but by the time we were nearing Kilmarnock I was getting rather uncomfortable. Not an at all appropriate choice of seat for units that can do some rather long runs.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I caught one of the refurbished units a couple of weeks ago. Whilst the seats were certainly better than those fitted to the 387s and 700s, I was still very unimpressed. It is a slightly better version of a terrible design of seat, it is still too firm for my liking. I only did Glasgow to Kilmarnock, but by the time we were nearing Kilmarnock I was getting rather uncomfortable. Not an at all appropriate choice of seat for units that can do some rather long runs.

Milton Keynes Central to East Croydon is a fairly long run and plenty of people do that end to end, or at least as far as Clapham Jn. That uses the inferior base, too.

TEW

Established Member
Milton Keynes Central to East Croydon is a fairly long run and plenty of people do that end to end, or at least as far as Clapham Jn. That uses the inferior base, too.

And? They're not appropriate there either.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Caught this last week from Dumfries to Carlisle, lovely pleasant ride, the plug sockets all work, free wifi is slow but works! Seats are very comfortable, and it feels like a 21st Century Train, something I can't usually say for the 156's!!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And? They're not appropriate there either.

My backside is happy[1] enough with them there in the quite spacious[2] 2+2 Southern layout. We're not talking about the way they are crammed in on the 700s.

[1] My backside was not happy yesterday that they cancelled the 1811 from East Croydon meaning I had to faff about going via London instead!

[2] The only modern UK train other than the all-tables Electrostar and Classes 175/180/185 in which I fit genuinely comfortably in all seats.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Yes the 175 / 180 / 185 / 444 have appropriate layouts and seats that can actually be sat in. A 377/7 does not. I would prefer to sit on a metal platform bench, for 2 hours - they distribute the forces throughout your back more comfortably than those seats do.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Hopefully they don't use the same seat for the WHL sets, hopefully they use the grammer seats instead (although that's wishfull thinking)
Could be worse, the I'll take an "ironing board" over an IC70 any day!

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Which seat is the IC82? The IC70 is terrible of course :)

The 158s are getting Grammer seats if they haven't already got them, I think all 156s will be Fainsa.

TEW

Established Member
My backside is happy[1] enough with them there in the quite spacious[2] 2+2 Southern layout. We're not talking about the way they are crammed in on the 700s.

[1] My backside was not happy yesterday that they cancelled the 1811 from East Croydon meaning I had to faff about going via London instead!

[2] The only modern UK train other than the all-tables Electrostar and Classes 175/180/185 in which I fit genuinely comfortably in all seats.

I have done Milton Keynes to Clapham Junction on a 377/7. It was a horrible journey. The seating layout is fine, the actual seat is awful.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have done Milton Keynes to Clapham Junction on a 377/7. It was a horrible journey. The seating layout is fine, the actual seat is awful.

And I've done East Croydon to Bletchley on one and it was very pleasant.

Seating comfort is so subjective. Many here would prefer a Mk1 sprung seat but that'd give me back pain. Or a Mk2 winged seat, but the wings are too low for me so I can't sit up properly. Or an IC70, but that squashes my backside. Etc.

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Obviously there's a lack of leg room as SNP MSP Linda Fabiani was unable to sit in the seat facing forwards ;)

image.jpg

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Puts Northerns supposed 'refurb' to shame that's for sure!

Yes. Although, it should be noted the Scotrail 156s have the original seats they were built with while all the ones currently with Northern have had their seats replaced at some point. That said some of the Northern 150s still have their original seating even after a 'refurbishment' by the current franchise!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Obviously there's a lack of leg room as SNP MSP Linda Fabiani was unable to sit in the seat facing forwards ;)

:D

In all seriousness legroom will be improved by about 1.5 or maybe even 2" because the Fainsa seats are much thinner than the original seats and the layout is the same as before.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes. Although, it should be noted the Scotrail 156s have the original seats they were built with while all the ones currently with Northern have had their seats replaced at some point. That said some of the Northern 150s still have their original seating even after a 'refurbishment' by the current franchise!

Which ones? I haven't seen any *original* 150 seating in a long time. The Chapman seating isn't original.

Oh, edit...the small number from Silverlink? The LM three do have original /2 seating.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Which ones? I haven't seen any *original* 150 seating in a long time. The Chapman seating isn't original.

Oh, edit...the small number from Silverlink? The LM three do have original /2 seating.

Was that supposed to be in response to this

some of the Northern 150s still have their original seating even after a 'refurbishment' by the current franchise

?

The ex-Silverlink/LO 150s are at GWR. At Northern only the ex-FNW 150s have had their seating replaced. The old Northern franchise started with the 10 x ex-ATN 150s having the original BR seating but that number increased significantly when a considerable number of ex-CT 150s headed North.

Northern changing the grab handles and painting the seat backs doesn't make them new seats

ch170423-150275-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TEW

Established Member
All the 150/1s across the country have had their seating replaced at some point. The 150/2s were fitted with Ashbourne seating as in that photo originally, but the 150/1s were originally fitted with the same style seating as originally fitted to 317s.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Scotrail making inappropriate choices/decisions?
That never happens, I am in shock that anyone could suggest such a thing *sarky bugger mode engaged*
Its certainly good the USB points on them work well and the WiFi can't be expected to perform brilliantly on the Dumfries Carlisle section given most phone networks are hopeless on said section.

route101

Established Member
Was on a few 156s earlier , refurb is a bit of mish mash . Had one with new PIS and Toilet yet green SPT seats and Scotrail blue carpet . Another with New Pis blue seats etc , not been on the one with the new seats yet .

Clansman

Established Member
Was on a few 156s earlier , refurb is a bit of mish mash . Had one with new PIS and Toilet yet green SPT seats and Scotrail blue carpet . Another with New Pis blue seats etc , not been on the one with the new seats yet .

There are I good few of those out there.

I'm not sure why they were refurbished like that but it does support speculation on other threads that the ironing boards were late in being delivered up to Scotland.

image.jpg

The new tables are fitted at the same height as the originals whilst the new Fainsa seats have a seat base that is higher off the floor than the original seats. The result is the room between top of seat base and bottom of the table has been reduced. The fleet team are looking into it to see what can be done as it seems they overlooked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.