• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Conductor Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDriver84

Hi

I am new here. I am looking to apply for a vacancy as conductor for Scotrail.

I was just wondering some information regarding rotas before applying.

I understand the days off are rolling, is it a 4 day week? I understand Sunday is overtime. Are you always on rota a Sunday on? Is it a 7 day week if you are?

Also holidays, how does that work. Can you pick days?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LoogaBarooga

The rest day pattern is;

Week 1- Monday, Tuesday
Week 2- Wednesday, Thursday
Week 3- Friday, Saturday

It means you get a five day long weekend every three weeks and yeah it's a four day week.

At my depot it's roughly one Sunday a month you are rostered for. They are usually pretty easy to get rid of if you don't want to do them.

You get rostered holidays, everyone gets a block in the holiday roster and it's four weeks a year.

Spring week
Summer fortnight
Winter week

You can swap blocks either with another conductor who is up for it, or if there are vacant lines in the holiday roster.

You also get lieu days, I think it's six a year. You can use these to book days off but you're not always guaranteed to get them because they are first come first serve.

rdh-eld

The rest day pattern is;

Week 1- Monday, Tuesday
Week 2- Wednesday, Thursday
Week 3- Friday, Saturday

It means you get a five day long weekend every three weeks and yeah it's a four day week.

At my depot it's roughly one Sunday a month you are rostered for. They are usually pretty easy to get rid of if you don't want to do them.

You get rostered holidays, everyone gets a block in the holiday roster and it's four weeks a year.

Spring week
Summer fortnight
Winter week

You can swap blocks either with another conductor who is up for it, or if there are vacant lines in the holiday roster.

You also get lieu days, I think it's six a year. You can use these to book days off but you're not always guaranteed to get them because they are first come first serve.
Sorry to jump on this thread, thanks for answering the above too, are you able to share any more about the job? What are the earliest/latest finishes, how long are the shifts normally and do you tend to make much on commision? I have applied for Edinburgh specifically but I know this will vary a lot depot to depot.

LoogaBarooga

At my depot the earliest book on is 0500 latest finish is 0040. I imagine it's probably slightly different at Waverly.

My commission is probably 100-150 on average. I don't go gung-ho with the tickets though so there's probably scope to earn more.

The shifts are usually between 7.5 and 10 hours, we only have one 10 hour job though. On a spare turn we are kept for 6 hours if we don't pick up a job.

rdh-eld

At my depot the earliest book on is 0500 latest finish is 0040. I imagine it's probably slightly different at Waverly.

My commission is probably 100-150 on average. I don't go gung-ho with the tickets though so there's probably scope to earn more.

The shifts are usually between 7.5 and 10 hours, we only have one 10 hour job though. On a spare turn we are kept for 6 hours if we don't pick up a job.
Thanks for the info! Do you enjoy the job? It looks like Waverley has good variety of work which is one of the key things I'd be looking for. What are the opportunities for progression?

LDriver84

Thanks so much for the info!

Sorry just trying to get my head round this. So if you work Sunday does that mean 7 days on? Surely can't work a 70 hour week?

Last edited:

LoogaBarooga

Thanks so much for the info!

Sorry just trying to get my head round this. So if you work Sunday does that mean 7 days on? Surely can't work a 70 hour week?
Sunday is technically the start of a new week but yeah you'd probably be working seven days on the trot once a month. You'd have to be incredibly unlucky to get seven ten hour in a row though!

Thanks for the info! Do you enjoy the job? It looks like Waverley has good variety of work which is one of the key things I'd be looking for. What are the opportunities for progression?
Yeah it's a great job, the punters a generally nice and so are your colleagues.

Definitely plenty of opportunities for progression. I've gone from station staff to guard and now I'm waiting to start driver training.

If you show up to your work on time and with a good attitude there will always be opportunities available to you.

Class385

Sit in the mess room and drink tea.
You can be used to cover trains if required or to do someone’s last train for them usually get away after 6 hours

LoogaBarooga

Aye pretty much. You're there to cover sickness or trains needing covered so other Conductors can get their break if they are running late etc.

Hi

I am new here. I am looking to apply for a vacancy as conductor for Scotrail.

I was just wondering some information regarding rotas before applying.

I understand the days off are rolling, is it a 4 day week? I understand Sunday is overtime. Are you always on rota a Sunday on? Is it a 7 day week if you are?

Also holidays, how does that work. Can you pick days?

Thanks for the help.
Did you hear anything back from Scotrail? I noticed they extended the closing date from the 29th of July to the 19th of August. I can only imagine there wasn’t enough applicants

G17

Hello folks see there is a some good info on here.

Just wondering If anyone can give details of the actual shift pattern as in working hours etc.

I am considering applying for this but am about an hour from Waverly (so not sure if they would even consider it). Would the shifts allows me to get the train to work some days or would the start/finish times mean I would have to be driving all the time.

Any info on this would be much appreciated.i Thanks

rdh-eld

Has anyone heard anything back since applying? I did an online assessment and was emailed to say I'd be told about the next stage soon. However, this was in June and they've since extended the closing date!

p.d87

I applied at the end of July. Near the original closing date. Haven't heard a thing since.

G17

Hi mate sorry to bother you. Would you be able to answer any of my questions in post number 12?

Any info would be much appreciated.

LoogaBarooga

I think most of the time you'd either be starting too early or finishing too late to get the train tbh. There will probably a few mid shifts you could get the train in for though.

G17

I think most of the time you'd either be starting too early or finishing too late to get the train tbh. There will probably a few mid shifts you could get the train in for though.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah probably just a bit far to travel to everyday if having to drive. Hopefully some opportunities come up closer to home

LDriver84

Do scotrail cover travel for open days and medical in Glasgow? I haven't heard back yet but hopefully soon. Thanks

G17

I am still very tempted to apply for this job despite being about an 60/65 minutes from Waverley station.

The commute doesn't particularly phase me as to be honest I am just looking to get into the rail industry.

I am pretty sure that the distance will likely rule me out but I guess the questions is, if I was successful would there be the potential I could do this for a year or two before possibly applying for positions closer to home?

Metric

Yes, you
Do scotrail cover travel for open days and medical in Glasgow? I haven't heard back yet but hopefully soon. Thanks

Yes, you just show the people working the gates your e-mail and they let you on no problem. There is a line at the bottom of the e-mail that asks you to come to Glasgow saying that it can be used for travel on the day.

G17

Yes, you

Yes, you just show the people working the gates your e-mail and they let you on no problem. There is a line at the bottom of the e-mail that asks you to come to Glasgow saying that it can be used for travel on the day.
Does this apply to train driver assessment centres as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.