• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail on-train First Class Upgrades

Iskra

Established Member
The Scotrail website states:

If there are still seats available in First Class you can upgrade on board by speaking to the conductor. It costs £5 to upgrade one way on eXpress services, and £15 one way on intercity services.

Can anyone kindly advise if this statement is relevant to advance tickets, or is it purely applied to more flexible fares? The website does not seem to indicate that it doesn't apply to advances, but nothing is explicitly stated either way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The Scotrail website states:

Can anyone kindly advise if this statement is relevant to advance tickets, or is it purely applied to more flexible fares? The website does not seem to indicate that it doesn't apply to advances, but nothing is explicitly stated either way.
It used to explicitly exclude Advances, but since COVID that wording has been removed. I would either tweet ScotRail and ask them directly or just see if a guard will upgrade an Advance.

Though I think the last time this came up, someone said Advances were upgradeable now.

tspaul26

Established Member
I upgraded an Advance onboard last week when travelling between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
In fact, I forgot about this thread:

Failed Unit

Established Member
Would the gaurd be the one that ultimately has the total descression? ie if the gaurd did upgrade the advance, you wouldn't have an issue if there was a crew change / RPI? I have never had a gaurd say no - but when I have done it the coach had lots of seats so it was extra revenue with no risk of overcrowding the coach.

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks all for the replies, and yes I did think it may come down to guard discretion depending on how busy the service is.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I've since found this on the page for ScotRail Advance tickets:

Are Advance Single tickets available for Standard and First Class?

Yes we have Advance tickets available for Standard Class and First Class. Our cheapest Advance Single fares are for Standard Class travel only and cannot be upgraded to First Class.
However, we also have Advance Single First Class fares available.

williamn

I've since found this on the page for ScotRail Advance tickets:

Might be an idea for them to include that on the upgrade page... Given how empty First Class usually is though I think they're missing a trick.

zero

Would the gaurd be the one that ultimately has the total descression? ie if the gaurd did upgrade the advance, you wouldn't have an issue if there was a crew change / RPI? I have never had a gaurd say no - but when I have done it the coach had lots of seats so it was extra revenue with no risk of overcrowding the coach.

It's Scotland, so you can just go back to standard and then complain to ask for a refund

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Might be an idea for them to include that on the upgrade page... Given how empty First Class usually is though I think they're missing a trick.
I agree, but perhaps it's an oversight rather than continuing the previous ban on upgrading Advances - i.e. they've just omitted to remove the wording from the other page as they have on the First Class ticket page.

kkong

I've never encountered a problem upgrading any Advance ticket to First Class on board.

Note that Club 50 discounted tickets (of any kind) are not valid for upgrade to First Class - but you may receive some discretion from the conductor.

Failed Unit

Established Member
It is interesting what they are trying to protect by not doing it. Maybe they feel they will revenue on people buying the AP first. But then like any upgrade back from weekend first, if I wanted first I would pay for it as I wouldn't want to take the risk that it wasn't available. However sometimes you just fancy it on the day. I know AP users have reserved seats, but sometimes if you have a fairly busy / noisy carriage I would try the upgrade where as if the train was quiet I wouldn't bother.

Maybe Scotrail need to employ a drunk to "encourage" people to upgrade ;)