• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Station Grade A.. Q/A help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charladenz

Hey Folks,

I'm looking for some information if possible, with Covid it's being particularly hard to get information from my local station re: Station Grade A vacancy that they have.

This is the full title online -

Station Grade A (Shift & Internal General Purpose Relief) Train Dispatch Role

I am not currently employed by Scotrail, but I am by the local council, however my thoughts are I'm going to apply anyway as the job I do at the minute has alot of transferable skills to this post.
My questions are:

What is a general day like for someone in this role?

How long is the training period for this post?

What is a typical shift pattern for a station grade with train dispatch role?

How quickly can your career progress within Scotrail?

I'm looking for a change of career and seeing this opportunity has sparked a level of interest I didn't know I had or was looking for is it likely that they have someone internal that is lined up already for the position?

Any help also with buzzwords or tips for an onlineapplication would be great. Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bawbster

Hey Folks,

I'm looking for some information if possible, with Covid it's being particularly hard to get information from my local station re: Station Grade A vacancy that they have.

This is the full title online -

Station Grade A (Shift & Internal General Purpose Relief) Train Dispatch Role

I am not currently employed by Scotrail, but I am by the local council, however my thoughts are I'm going to apply anyway as the job I do at the minute has alot of transferable skills to this post.
My questions are:

What is a general day like for someone in this role?

How long is the training period for this post?

What is a typical shift pattern for a station grade with train dispatch role?

How quickly can your career progress within Scotrail?

I'm looking for a change of career and seeing this opportunity has sparked a level of interest I didn't know I had or was looking for is it likely that they have someone internal that is lined up already for the position?

Any help also with buzzwords or tips for an onlineapplication would be great. Thanks!
Don't work for Scotrail myself but had an interview for same job but at different station .
95% of work will be cleaning (station, toilets, canteen etc)

Training consists of 1 week at training school followed by 2 weeks train dispatching and nothing else. (Took that from memory but may have misunderstood)

Shifts are early (6am ish) lates (when all trains dispatched) possibly 1 am and nightshift (cleaning the station, trains and coupling trains together (that part really interested me.))

Career progress, after 6 months I believe you can apply for internal positions but trainee train driver roles go external (could be wrong on that one.)

If you get picked and pass the assessment, you will have to shadow a train dispatcher before any interview or you won't even be considered for the role.

Charladenz

Don't work for Scotrail myself but had an interview for same job but at different station .
95% of work will be cleaning (station, toilets, canteen etc)

Training consists of 1 week at training school followed by 2 weeks train dispatching and nothing else. (Took that from memory but may have misunderstood)

Shifts are early (6am ish) lates (when all trains dispatched) possibly 1 am and nightshift (cleaning the station, trains and coupling trains together (that part really interested me.))

Career progress, after 6 months I believe you can apply for internal positions but trainee train driver roles go external (could be wrong on that one.)

If you get picked and pass the assessment, you will have to shadow a train dispatcher before any interview or you won't even be considered for the role.

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate it @bawbster

I've been looking through the posts on here about initial training etc and there was bare minimum so thanks for that.

The shift work isn't an issue for me, I actually really like shifts, better work life balance. I just wondered if they are maybe 4 days on, with a mix of early and lates then 3 days off type on the rota? Instead of one on two off three on etc.

That's the other thing that is very attractive, that they have career progression available and great to know in time there will be opportunities internally.

The online advert states ....... "Selected candidates will be invited to complete online assessments. If successful candidates will then be invited to attend an assessment stage and interview. The final stage for successful candidates will be a medical examination and drugs/alcohol screening. Appointees must submit at least two satisfactory references, Disclosure Scotland clearance and complete a six month probation period. Training initially involves a three day Induction training programme including first aid and fire safety."

....So there isn't really anything about training for the dispatch role or the safety critical assessments to do that role?

Apologies, maybe I am reading your reply wrong... as in if I'm successful in the station grade role I will most likely be cleaning the majority of the time and then have to shadow a train dispatcher? ...before then having to test for that role?

bawbster

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate it @bawbster

I've been looking through the posts on here about initial training etc and there was bare minimum so thanks for that.

The shift work isn't an issue for me, I actually really like shifts, better work life balance. I just wondered if they are maybe 4 days on, with a mix of early and lates then 3 days off type on the rota? Instead of one on two off three on etc.

That's the other thing that is very attractive, that they have career progression available and great to know in time there will be opportunities internally.

The online advert states ....... "Selected candidates will be invited to complete online assessments. If successful candidates will then be invited to attend an assessment stage and interview. The final stage for successful candidates will be a medical examination and drugs/alcohol screening. Appointees must submit at least two satisfactory references, Disclosure Scotland clearance and complete a six month probation period. Training initially involves a three day Induction training programme including first aid and fire safety."

....So there isn't really anything about training for the dispatch role or the safety critical assessments to do that role?

Apologies, maybe I am reading your reply wrong... as in if I'm successful in the station grade role I will most likely be cleaning the majority of the time and then have to shadow a train dispatcher? ...before then having to test for that role?
Shifts were 2 weeks early, 2 weeks late, 2 weeks nights, however the days were along ghe line of 7 days on, 5 days off, 5 days on 2 dqys off, rinse and repeat.

You make it through the sift and are picked to go to the assessment centre whereby you need to pass (they send you example papers but it's different to the actual test which is pretty easy assuming your eyesight is OK), if you pass, you then goto the station (on your own time) you applied for and shadow the train dispatch process before your interview.
What happens in the induction course, that I cannot tell you, but dispatch training is at the station you're working at.

My intrrview was at a Glasgow Station, so maybe slightly different to hours worked at Inverness (assuming it's that station)

Established Member
I just wondered if they are maybe 4 days on, with a mix of early and lates then 3 days off type on the rota? Instead of one on two off three on etc.
This is a GPR posting so there is no set pattern. You are also likely to cover more than just one station.

you applied for and shadow the train dispatch process before your interview.
This is not necessary.

bawbster

This is a GPR posting so there is no set pattern. You are also likely to cover more than just one station.

This is not necessary.
Maybe not, but was told by the guy I was shawdowing that if you don't shadow before the interview, then you'll not be offered the job and I was also asked if I shadowed someone at the interview.

Charladenz

Ah ok, that is initially what I wanted to know, the hours, patterns etc. It's so difficult with COVID and having no contact details on the postings to ask questions such as the requirements etc. Could of slammed this all with an e-mail and I wouldn't of just completed the application :lol:

Charladenz

It will change week to week, You'll normally only get a weeks notice for your shifts the following week etc.

Thank you. Any info around if it likely be local stations around Inverness?

I don't suppose you know how long the training period is for the role?

Matt91

Training would include 2 weeks in Glasgow Atrium Court to start with (1st week induction, 2nd week dispatch course), after that, you will be assigned a mentor and have 10 days with your mentor when you fill training book. After the book is completed you will be assessed by the line manager in dispatch and have rules exam. Then you need to wait couple of days for your Safety-Critical ID to arrive and you are ready to go on your own.
As it is a GPR job, you will find out on Thursday 1200 what shifts you work next week.

Charladenz

Training would include 2 weeks in Glasgow Atrium Court to start with (1st week induction, 2nd week dispatch course), after that, you will be assigned a mentor and have 10 days with your mentor when you fill training book. After the book is completed you will be assessed by the line manager in dispatch and have rules exam. Then you need to wait couple of days for your Safety-Critical ID to arrive and you are ready to go on your own.
As it is a GPR job, you will find out on Thursday 1200 what shifts you work next week.

Thank you so much! That's brilliant information :D

@Matt91 At the risk of me sounding a bit precious, would your knowledge of the GPR shifts allow you to comment on how the week ahead rota would work into a work life balance? In terms of, for example if it's a relief position I'm assuming the relief part of it is just filling in here and there at different stations and shifts covering sickness/annual leave, which potentially could mean working every weekend? Is that a fair speculation to make given there will be no set days or shifts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.