• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-driver

Established Member
Just thought I'd mention it here for any interested but both Edinburgh and Glasgow depots are looking fir qualified and trainee drivers. Have a look at the first group HR website for more info.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MadCommuter

"Due to the nature of the training programme we are unable to guarantee any annual leave during the first 12 months of employment."

Seems a bit harsh - is that legal?

1V53

"Due to the nature of the training programme we are unable to guarantee any annual leave during the first 12 months of employment."

Seems a bit harsh - is that legal?

I presume they mean they can't guarantee any specific dates requested by trainees, as leave would have to be allocated around the training programme.

MadCommuter

I presume they mean they can't guarantee any specific dates requested by trainees, as leave would have to be allocated around the training programme.

Ah sorry. Hadn't thought of it like that. Doh:oops:

Hoyerman

"Due to the nature of the training programme we are unable to guarantee any annual leave during the first 12 months of employment."QUOTE]

They will normally also tell you that if you miss any more than 1 day during the classroom based section of the course, due to the intensity of that section you will be unable to catch up and will have to wait on the next course...

cheers
H

A-driver

Established Member
Annual leave for trainees is fixed. You get a training timetable and what happened specifically with my TOC was you do the 2/3 month rule course, take a weeks A/L, do the traction course and your driving hours with a DI, 1 more week A/L then sort of revision week and route learning starts before the ICA. A/L is provided but you can't say 'I need Wednesday week off' etc.

Hoyerman

Annual leave for trainees is fixed.

Not at Scotrail it's not... Leave will not be allowed during the Rules/Traction/Training train phases of your course, but can be arranged by agreement with your DTM/DI once you are out accumulating your hours.

It does help if you are able to take the same leave as your DI, but it's not essential - it just means you might miss potential driving time and your hours will take longer to accumulate since you'll probably be stuck out on Front End turns when your DI is off as there aren't that many available... I.e. 2 weeks DI off + 2 weeks trainee off = 1 month with probably no driving.

Cheers
H

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Would they not just put you with another DI? I think I had six or seven DI's over the course of my 275 hours! Admittedly I did the vast majority of my time with one guy, but I feel it was beneficial to see more than one person's style.

A-driver

Established Member
Depends on the DI-Trainee ratio. I also had several DIs but at one point during my hours there were 2 trainees to each DI so no chance of going with another if yours was not around!

Status
Not open for further replies.