• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

SD_83

Got an email today on my tablet with an advert for DI’s, hopefully be some interest to get some of us atleast back to work!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MT18

Without starting up any debates again etc, has anybody who undertook and passed the assessment in February last year heard anything about a potential interview yet?

Glasgow

Without starting up any debates again etc, has anybody who undertook and passed the assessment in February last year heard anything about a potential interview yet?

Nope unfortunately not, I emailed recruitment back at the start of December and they said that the recruitment process was still on hold and they would be in touch again when they have further information.

MT18

Nope unfortunately not, I emailed recruitment back at the start of December and they said that the recruitment process was still on hold and they would be in touch again when they have further information.
Ahh ok, suppose we just have to remain patient and hope for the best.
Unfortunately everything has stopped again including internal training.
Makes sense just really frustrating. I don’t suppose you know how long the assessment pass remains valid for?

#NotAnotherOne

Wonder willwe ever get back
I'm glad you modified this post. Hindsight is good but, many valid points to be taken onboard. Please take comfort from the email every trainee received last month. If you haven't seen it, private message me (is that a thing?).

SD_83

I'm glad you modified this post. Hindsight is good but, many valid points to be taken onboard. Please take comfort from the email every trainee received last month. If you haven't seen it, private message me (is that a thing?).

I dont know if I can PM on here.

paepo

Ahh ok, suppose we just have to remain patient and hope for the best.

Makes sense just really frustrating. I don’t suppose you know how long the assessment pass remains valid for?
Psychometrics are valid for 5 years but ScotRail only take them up to 3 years old. If you haven't started by the 3 years being up you'll need to resit them.

Kuksoolgirl

So how longs the interview valid for from ScotRails perspective? Am I right in thinking it's considerably less than 1st tests, like 18/24 months ?? :(:(:(

Ignore the emojis!!!

Ceat0908

what’s the situation with new starts at the moment, training and looking to the future? I see ASLEF have agreed to extend the RDW agreement to allow general service and training to continue at current service levels.

Also, if you are a new start who hasn’t completed the training and your pshycometrics and interview pass run out before you are fully qualified, do you need to apply for the role again?

Stigy

Established Member
what’s the situation with new starts at the moment, training and looking to the future? I see ASLEF have agreed to extend the RDW agreement to allow general service and training to continue at current service levels.

Also, if you are a new start who hasn’t completed the training and your pshycometrics and interview pass run out before you are fully qualified, do you need to apply for the role again?
Your psychometric passes are irrelevant once you start training, regardless of what happens in terms of being stood down until ASLEF and co decide about how train is to continue. Psychometric assessments are merely a tool for recruitment.

paepo

No, as long as you start your first day as a trainee driver with valid psychometrics and interview then that's it. Never need to worry about that again unless you change TOC/FOC and they want you to sit tests/interviews.
To be clear, by 'First day' I don't mean out driving, I mean sitting doing a company induction for new starts that are "off the street" or for current employees in a different grade it would be the first day of their PTS.

Del 2804

Not had a look on here for a while, took me a while also to find the thread for Scotrail, a was just coming on to see if anyone had been talking about the trainee driver jobs, I had just passed the first Assessment in February 2020, but obviously not heard anything else since due to covid, I take it everyone else is the same that were in that situation or has anyone heard anything from them?

Last edited:

Pcb1980

Not had a look on here for a while, took me a while also to find the thread for Scotrail, a was just coming on to see if anyone had been talking about the trainee driver jobs, I had just passed the first Assessment in February 2020, but obviously not heard anything else since due to covid, I take it everyone else is the same that were in that situation ot has anyone heard anything from them?
Not heard anything either, never mind we knew it would be a long process did email them in February to ask, but all they said was they were in lockdown and will be in touch if any movement.

Glasgow

Not had a look on here for a while, took me a while also to find the thread for Scotrail, a was just coming on to see if anyone had been talking about the trainee driver jobs, I had just passed the first Assessment in February 2020, but obviously not heard anything else since due to covid, I take it everyone else is the same that were in that situation ot has anyone heard anything from them?
I emailed them a couple of weeks ago to see if there was any updates since things are beginning to ease and whether or not they would be continuing with the recruitment process from February 2020 as I am im the same boat. They got back to me as said that when it is safe to do so they hope that they will continue with the on-going recruitment.

Pcb1980

I emailed them a couple of weeks ago to see if there was any updates since things are beginning to ease and whether or not they would be continuing with the recruitment process from February 2020 as I am im the same boat. They got back to me as said that when it is safe to do so they hope that they will continue with the on-going recruitment.
That's great, cheers for that

andy_mac

Training is starting back up, I'd imagine trainees will be back out with instructors from june/July onwards. Some may be later as they wait on an available instructor but there's definitely light at the end of the tunnel

kickin aff

I'm in the east. At my depot all DI's have returned and a couple of new additional trained ones. Most of the trainees are back with the others starting back next month.

golfingdaddy

Not moving so quickly in the west unfortunately. Some trainees have been told it could be months, possibly next year before they get a DI.

kickin aff

Not moving so quickly in the west unfortunately. Some trainees have been told it could be months, possibly next year before they get a DI.
God that it grim. What is behind that? With the covid testing measures in place this will hopefully detect the virus soonest, mitigating the consequences,
plus with everyone mid 40's and above now having been vaccinated, I thought this would alleviate the concerns DI's/trainees had.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Where is that? Perth, Queen St, Aberdeen are all back, with priority to getting long term sick/shielding/transfers back out on their own. Its been going a few weeks now and all the DI's at my depot are back.

Ninoni37

We have a driver on a DI course this week. They are definitely getting some places moving forward. I'm also just waiting on a course start date and have been told its soon. They have asked for my release from current post (internal). Union rep said they are just finalising details for classroom training.

andy_mac

God that it grim. What is behind that? With the covid testing measures in place this will hopefully detect the virus soonest, mitigating the consequences,
plus with everyone mid 40's and above now having been vaccinated, I thought this would alleviate the concerns
DI's/trainees had.

Its not so much about the testing procedures etc as having a limited supply of d.i's willing to take a trainee at the moment, everybody's situation is different and some feel that it's not the right time for them personally. In addition to that there are existing drivers who have had incidents or have been self isolating that will/are being brought back first as they are easier to get back on the jobs.
A trainee will also require to enter a bubble with a dtm for assessments which again slows the process as a dtm cannot have multiple bubbles. Things are progressing but it needs to be handled correctly to ensure it can continue without further delays

Any word on the uptake of DIs this time round?
Not sure what depot you are at, feel free to pm me and I will tell you what I know (if anything) but there have been several training courses running and my own depot has 5/6 new instructors trained and more of the existing di's are beginning to come round to the idea of taking a trainee again. It's not a unanmous yes but definetly heading in the right direction compared to how things have been