• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail - Trainee Train Driver - Fort William (07/11/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6130

Established Member
Sorry, can't do a link, but according to the BBC News site this morning, ScotRail are recruiting new drivers at Fort William 'for the dream job of driving on the Harry Potter line' and covering routes from FTW to Mallaig, Glasgow and Oban. IIRC, since privatisation, ScotRail have covered the Northern half of the West Highland lne from a traincrew depot at Mallaig....with only EWS/DB and subsequently GBRf having drivers based at the Fort. Is this a sign of a forthcoming increase in services on the WHL?

Listing: https://apply.scotrail.co.uk/vacancies/1537/

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chuff chuff

Our customers have busy lives, so we need to be there for them when they need us; from the early hours of the morning until late at night, seven days a week. That’s why, as a train driver, you’ll need to be happy working a variety of shifts over seven days.

This part of the blurb,I wish the company would check that new starts have read and understood this as some seem unwilling to accept the reality of the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iamanoob

Our customers have busy lives, so we need to be there for them when they need us; from the early hours of the morning until late at night, seven days a week. That’s why, as a train driver, you’ll need to be happy working a variety of shifts over seven days.

This part of the blurb,I wish the company would check that new starts have read and understood this as some seem unwilling to accept the reality of the job.
Bunch of new recruits in Atrium Court last week for training (TE and Gateline) and I heard that most of them thought it was a Monday - Friday job. Oh how I had a wee chuckle to myself at that one.

The Puddock

IIRC, since privatisation, ScotRail have covered the Northern half of the West Highland lne from a traincrew depot at Mallaig....with only EWS/DB and subsequently GBRf having drivers based at the Fort.
There are seven ScotRail drivers based at Fort William.

Is this a sign of a forthcoming increase in services on the WHL?
No.

John Bishop

Does Scotrail accept promises to relocate? I'm interested but live too far away...
Not as far as I know, but I would suggest not waste your time as there will be hundreds of applications from within the commuting distance for them to choose from. This is a very widely publicised vacancy so will expect large numbers of applicants.

Chrysalis

Not as far as I know, but I would suggest not waste your time as there will be hundreds of applications from within the commuting distance for them to choose from. This is a very widely publicised vacancy so will expect large numbers of applicants.
Well, there was a field on the application page about how you'd relocate so they seem open to it. They probably won't choose me but I've applied in any case!

Archvile

Well, there was a field on the application page about how you'd relocate so they seem open to it. They probably won't choose me but I've applied in any case!
Good for you.. I always advise people to apply to all and any vacancies that arise if you know you'll be able to make it work. The worst they can say is no. You literally have nothing to lose by doing so.

Rail27

When will they be recruiting for Edinburgh or Glasgow again does anyone know ?

D6130

Established Member
I suspect that ScotRail will be looking to help the area's economy by only recruiting local applicants....provided that enough local applicants with the required qualities come forward. This happened with Tweedbank depot when the Borders Line reopened in 2015. IIRC, all the drivers and conductors there were recruited locally 'off the street'.

Chrysalis

I suspect that ScotRail will be looking to help the area's economy by only recruiting local applicants....provided that enough local applicants with the required qualities come forward. This happened with Tweedbank depot when the Borders Line reopened in 2015. IIRC, all the drivers and conductors there were recruited locally 'off the street'.
Ah, that's a shame for me but good on them, I think they're doing a nice thing if this is the case.

scotraildriver

Established Member
They've accepted qualified drivers in the past to relocate, one guy at Mallaig came from Wales and one at Fort William came from Northern. There will be enough local applications that they don't need to look any further.

I am in the same situation and applying regardless. My thoughts are it shows you are keen if another vacancy comes up at a depot within commuting distance from your home. You also have nothing to lose by applying. I expect not to hear as they will probably recruit locally, which is fine by me. If you don’t buy a ticket, you can’t win the raffle though. Hard work, commitment and dedication will hopefully pay off at some stage. Sitting back and saying I probably won’t get in so no point applying will 100% get you nowhere. GL to you I say.

PudseyBearHST

They've accepted qualified drivers in the past to relocate, one guy at Mallaig came from Wales and one at Fort William came from Northern. There will be enough local applications that they don't need to look any further.
Do they recruit for Qualified drivers separately or is it a case of applying for a trainee position and letting them that you’re qualified?

Do they recruit for Qualified drivers separately or is it a case of applying for a trainee position and letting them that you’re qualified?
From what I have understood anecdotally they struggle to retain drivers at Various depots up north. Once the novelty and scenery has wore off them people miss Delieroo, not having to pay premiums for delivery of items, ordering off Amazon for same delivery etc.

Possibly they want to recruit locals

chuff chuff

From what I have understood anecdotally they struggle to retain drivers at Various depots up north. Once the novelty and scenery has wore off them people miss Delieroo, not having to pay premiums for delivery of items, ordering off Amazon for same delivery etc.

Possibly they want to recruit locals
Yeah I think some find it's not the life they thought it would be.

PudseyBearHST

I completely get that and have said the same myself but I know someone who wants to go out that way and is looking at either GBRf or ScotRail so have let him know anyway.

800 Driver

Imagine being at a depot where you don't get the chance to wave at passing drivers. Plus with all the blizzards and landslips you'll be stranded for hours halfway up a mountain most weeks. Plus imagine having to walk the mile and a quarter through snow drifts for emergency protection. And I'd suspect there's trolls living in those hills.

D6130

Established Member
And I'd suspect there's trolls living in those hills.
No....wild haggae - if that's the correct plural of haggis - with two long legs on one side and two short ones on the other.

Seriously though....you'll be able to wave to other drivers at the crossing points and then shake hands with them when you change units!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
No....wild haggae - if that's the correct plural of haggis - with two long legs on one side and two short ones on the other.

Seriously though....you'll be able to wave to other drivers at the crossing points and then shake hands with them when you change units!
I do believe there are Hamishes out there. If you recall Bagpuss that is.

A tartan porcupine pincushion, and a legend of a small, soft creature from Scotland.

Attachments

• hamish.jpg
    hamish.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 34
Please can someone point out where in the job description it says you have to live within a certain distance? Or is it a general requirement for all TOCs that applicants must live within 45 minutes commuting distance, therefore it is just assumed? Thanks

G115

Does anyone know if there are any plans to recruit drivers in the central belt in late 2024/early 2025? I appreciate that is some time away but I am interested but not in a position to apply at the moment.

Please can someone point out where in the job description it says you have to live within a certain distance? Or is it a general requirement for all TOCs that applicants must live within 45 minutes commuting distance, therefore it is just assumed? Thanks
It doesn’t specifically state it in the job description, however on the application itself, it does ask the question and gives you this option if you click no.

Attachments

• IMG_6046.png
    IMG_6046.png
    416.6 KB · Views: 52
Status
Not open for further replies.