• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bobdoe

Given the timing of it, could it be a rerouting through Greenrigg/Harthill between J4A and J5 to provide a partial cover for the lost 23 which finishes on the 2nd.

Also I have thought for ages it should go through Kirkton Campus and Starlaw at Livingston, shorter distance and same time as the route it takes currently but could add in a couple of additional stops.
The X51 took the Kirkton and Starlaw route when it used to run to Glasgow. I think the 902 has enough stops for its distance and journey time.

LiviCrazy

The X51 took the Kirkton and Starlaw route when it used to run to Glasgow. I think the 902 has enough stops for its distance and journey time.
It would actually reduce distance and number of stops though. If they just had one stop at Livingston Toll (Shin Etsu) it would cut distance and time. I drive that route whenever I head West from Livingston as it cuts a couple of miles out of the journey. Going straight back up the A899 adds distance and three stops.

bobdoe

It would actually reduce distance and number of stops though. If they just had one stop at Livingston Toll (Shin Etsu) it would cut distance and time. I drive that route whenever I head West from Livingston as it cuts a couple of miles out of the journey. Going straight back up the A899 adds distance and three stops.
Agreed, though the three stops are a bit unnecessary as it takes 1 minute to walk on the overhead bridge to the opposite bus stop.

LiviCrazy

Agreed, though the three stops are a bit unnecessary as it takes 1 minute to walk on the overhead bridge to the opposite bus stop.
I would imagine it could also reduce confusion as you would only see buses going one way on the route (ie you wouldn’t see buses to Edinburgh Airport and Glasgow stopping at the same stops. For me a stop at Livingston Toll would improve connections for the West of the Town with minimal impact on route. I personally, it would be good if they could have some interactivity at Harthill, a connection with Air or 900 to allow fast link services.

Buzby

The national entitlement card is valid on both services 902 and the AIR
902 certainly - but Citylink went out of their way to advise ScotiaCard and MyScotGov cards holders that the AIR service did not accept them - even providing advice to pensioners that they should take the 900 to Maybury Roundabout, cross over the A8 and get a Lothian Airport bus to complete their journey. This was agreed as ‘equitable’ by SPT as AIR was deemed a ‘premium’ service from Day 1. They certainly kept the climbdown quiet.

902 certainly - but Citylink went out of their way to advise ScotiaCard and MyScotGov cards holders that the AIR service did not accept them - even providing advice to pensioners that they should take the 900 to Maybury Roundabout, cross over the A8 and get a Lothian Airport bus to complete their journey. This was agreed as ‘equitable’ by SPT as AIR was deemed a ‘premium’ service from Day 1. They certainly kept the climbdown quiet.
I drive the AIR service and these cards have been valid from the first day of operation 10 years ago.

I drive the AIR service and these cards have been valid from the first day of operation 10 years ago.
There weren't valid until late 2013 they never accepted them at the start with the 13 plate Irizars and I can mind it left from Stance 54 or 55 as well in Buchanan Bus Station

Buzby

Were you driving on that day? Clearly not as I’ve explained the rigmarole Citylink advised how to get to the airport ‘for free’ and it wasn’t on these shiny new coaches. My letter of complaint to SPT after being refused passage at no cost, citing it was a wholly Scottish service resulted in a reply stating Citylink were free to offer any premium services they wished, but NEC card holders could go whistle (I’m paraphrasing here). Indeed, this service resulted in the NEC card conditions on the SPT website being update to explain why, following my (and other complaints). Which is why this service launch was so memorable for all the wrong reasons. Indeed, the lack of any update to advise ScotiaCard holders that they were now welcome I cannot even find a press release stating the reversal of policy.

I’m tempted to call and find out when it changed, because that’s a major climb down from a situation they created.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This is getting to be a bit "he said, she said" at the moment. It'd be helpful if someone could actually provide an official source to confirm if concession passes are accepted on the AIR service. Please provide a link to the source, copy the relevant text from that source and place it within quote tags in your post. Thanks :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
This is getting to be a bit "he said, she said" at the moment. It'd be helpful if someone could actually provide an official source to confirm if concession passes are accepted on the AIR service. Please provide a link to the source, copy the relevant text from that source and place it within quote tags in your post. Thanks :)

The best I can find is under their FAQs:

Are concession cards valid on Citylink services?

Yes, NEC cards and Young Scot NEC cards are valid on all Citylink services in Scotland.

Buzby

And from the SPT:

Restrictions:
Concessionary travel is not available for tours, excursions, night services or other special services where a premium rate is charged.”

At the launch of AIR, it was a premium charged service. The CityLink website now allows NEC cards accepted but as a weekend it’s not possible to ask a human when it changed.

Buzby

I can't think of a single route that comes under that last category
Glasgow City Sightseeing (it isn’t a ‘tour’) and of course AIR when it was introduced. Further, National Express will not accept it to Carlisle or Berwick, neither will Hannon (to Ayr, Girvan or Cairnryan

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
Glasgow City Sightseeing (it isn’t a ‘tour’) and of course AIR when it was introduced. Further, National Express will not accept it to Carlisle or Berwick, neither will Hannon (to Ayr, Girvan or Cairnryan
Concessions are accepted on the 500 and always have been

Flying Snail

Established Member
from the Citylink website in 2014, no mention of the recently introduced Citylink AIR service:

Important Notice: National Entitlement Cards are not valid for travel on premium fare bus services. This includes the following Citylink services – Glasgow to/from Edinburgh at 0130, 0300 and 0345. The National Entitlement card allows free bus travel throughout Scotland on all scheduled local registered and long-distance bus services only.​

Hannon (to Ayr, Girvan or Cairnryan
What is this?

I assume you are not talking about Hannon Coaches Glasgow - Belfast service which runs non-stop from the Stena Line ferry to Buchannan Station and clearly does not take ANY local traffic in Scotland or Northern Ireland, only cross channel passengers.

markymark2000

On Moderation
What is this?

I assume you are not talking about Hannon Coaches Glasgow - Belfast service which runs non-stop from the Stena Line ferry to Buchannan Station and clearly does not take ANY local traffic in Scotland or Northern Ireland, only cross channel passengers.
They did used to pick up en route I believe.

Even with local travel prohibited though, it is a good warning for passengers to avoid them trying to use the service.

Buzby

I assume you are not talking about Hannon Coaches Glasgow - Belfast service which runs non-stop from the Stena Line ferry to Buchannan Station and clearly does not take ANY local traffic in Scotland or Northern Ireland, only cross channel passengers
The very same - the point was they won’t discount the ride to Cairnryan for NEC holders. As for CityLink, I’ve just heard from Emily - NEC users were allowed access to the AIR service from December last year, they announced it on their Social Media feeds as a promotion and kept it going to this day. So a fairly recent innovation nevertheles! Further, they now allow use after 2300-0500 which are normally excluded as ‘Night Services” - No idea if this is for AIR only, or all their services.

NEC users were allowed access to the AIR service from December last year
I have definitely (ab)used my bus pass on the AIR on as far back as Sept '22, so don't know what she's on about! The timing seems right for the night services though - that was roughly when the N900 were changed into night-time diverted 900s (for no particular reason than to allow this seemingly)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The very same - the point was they won’t discount the ride to Cairnryan for NEC holders. As for CityLink, I’ve just heard from Emily - NEC users were allowed access to the AIR service from December last year, they announced it on their Social Media feeds as a promotion and kept it going to this day. So a fairly recent innovation nevertheles! Further, they now allow use after 2300-0500 which are normally excluded as ‘Night Services” - No idea if this is for AIR only, or all their services.
Who is Emily?

cammyeaston

A quick look on the Citylink website, and attempting to book the AIR service using a concession card confirms that they are in fact valid. Total price is £1.00 which is the standard booking fee attached to concession bookings.

Attached is an image showing the "fake" booking on an AIR service using a concession card.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-30-19-21-09-92.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-30-19-21-09-92.jpg
    725.4 KB · Views: 37
A quick look on the Citylink website, and attempting to book the AIR service using a concession card confirms that they are in fact valid. Total price is £1.00 which is the standard booking fee attached to concession bookings.

Attached is an image showing the "fake" booking on an AIR service using a concession card.
They've been valid from late 2013. I've used the service with my pass loads of times. Someone's smoking strong stuff, that's all I can say. A family member also drives for West Coast Motors who run the majority of the service and it has done since it's began.

Flying Snail

Established Member
They did used to pick up en route I believe.

Even with local travel prohibited though, it is a good warning for passengers to avoid them trying to use the service.
Perhaps you are conflating the Hannon Coach service which was started in 2018 and has only ever catered for Belfast - Glasgow custom with the long running Citylink/Ulsterbus 923 service which runs Glasgow-Ayr-Cairnryan Port-Stranraer for through-ticketed connections to the Stena ferry and Belfast (as foot passenger and connecting bus) as well as catering for traffic between Glasgow Ayr and Stranraer.

I don't know what you mean by the second part, Hannon only take web and phone bookings, not on-board sales which they make clear on their website so there is no reason for any walk-up passengers to be trying to use it on the spot.

The very same - the point was they won’t discount the ride to Cairnryan for NEC holders.
I am unsure what part of "They do not take ANY local traffic in Scotland" you haven't understood. It is purely a Belfast - Glasgow service only and does not accept Scottish or Irish free travel passes.

realemil

I’ve just heard from Emily - NEC users were allowed access to the AIR service from December last year
I'm not sure this is quite correct, I have an email from Citylink which confirms a booking on the AIR services from February 2022 with a concession pass.

They were most definitely valid when Under 22's got them.

The timing seems right for the night services though - that was roughly when the N900 were changed into night-time diverted 900s (for no particular reason than to allow this seemingly)
You can use the concession on the night buses? That's really good.

duffers2324

Anyways in regards to the 902, I would like to think it would be some possible uplift to the timetable, even if only temporarily, as it does incorporate the Christmas period. I wouldalso think there may be a market there for people travelling along the route to go into Livingston, in particular for Christmas shopping etc, as it does have the designer outlet there as well as the centre and the retail parks. People will and do travel distances to go to these types of places were everything is pretty much all there in one.