• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

Spsf3232

They can't run the 3 axle coaches North of Tarbet. Can you imagine them in the worst twisty section?
I've taken 15m Panthers up to Fort William in the past when stagecoach had the service. Same as taking them down to Kennacraig. I Would say driving the tri axles on those roads is far easier than a 12m example.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brooke

The West Highland services are quite high in demand, and they don’t use the same big vehicles that the Intercity routes do.

I think it’d be worth making a booking for the one you want, just so you are guaranteed space and not left disappointed/stranded somewhere.

They are generally reliable though.

The 926 should be ok as the Campbelltown services are not as busy as the other West Highland services.
Super, thanks both. I might give it a go in June or July and see.

Unstoppable

On Moderation
The problem isn't the low bridge. The side of Loch Lomond is absolute torture to drive up with a 12 metre coach never mind a Panorama at 14.5 metres.
14m coaches on the loch side route aren't rare. During the summer months they show up often on the additional Fort William runs. Any experienced driver wouldn't have an issue with an extra 0.5 metre on his tail. With a Panorama you also have no extreme overhangs with the mirrors which is a big difference. I would personally rather drive a Pano up there opposed to a Scania and having to worry about those oversized mirrors

They can't run the 3 axle coaches North of Tarbet. Can you imagine them in the worst twisty section?
Tri axles are a common sight on the additional summer runs between Glasgow and the Fort. A tri axle has better steering capabilities than something smaller believe it or not

14m coaches on the loch side route aren't rare. During the summer months they show up often on the additional Fort William runs. Any experienced driver wouldn't have an issue with an extra 0.5 metre on his tail. With a Panorama you also have no extreme overhangs with the mirrors which is a big difference. I would personally rather drive a Pano up there opposed to a Scania and having to worry about those oversized mirrors

Tri axles are a common sight on the additional summer runs between Glasgow and the Fort. A tri axle has better steering capabilities than something smaller believe it or not
Thanks for your input, quick question. How often do you drive a coach up the A82? Thanks.

InOban

Established Member
It may be OK for the coach driver but not so much fun for the motorhome or caravan coming the other way.
I guess the shorter vehicles are the right size for the traffic after Fort William. Who operates the route BTW?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
It may be OK for the coach driver but not so much fun for the motorhome or caravan coming the other way.
I guess the shorter vehicles are the right size for the traffic after Fort William. Who operates the route BTW?
I think the Uig services are West Coast Motors, while some of the Fort William services (914) are Shiel Buses.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Stagecoach use some Triaxle Elites on the services between Inverness and Fort William/Skye.

Spsf3232

No larger than trucks that run up and down those roads. If people are not comfortable on those roads driving those vehicles perhaps they shouldn't be driving them!

Glasgow to Skye routes are operated by West coast motors and sheil buses, both use each others vehicles and swap at the Fort

InOban

Established Member
Until the M74 was completed almost all HGVs went via Stirling and most still do fortunately. Only strangers bring an Artic up the A82. If you drive from Crianlarich to Stirling you'll meet many more trucks.

Spsf3232

Until the M74 was completed almost all HGVs went via Stirling and most still do fortunately. Only strangers bring an Artic up the A82. If you drive from Crianlarich to Stirling you'll meet many more trucks.
I drive logging trucks on the A82. It's the quickest route to get down the road and you will find it's not strangers but regular drivers who use it. Going via Stirling doesn't make sense if you're heading to Glasgow.

InOban

Established Member
At what time of day?
Of course if you're actually heading for Glasgow, the A82 is the only option. But to the delivery hubs along the M8 or if you're heading to Carlisle....

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think we should get back to discussing Scottish Citylink. If anyone wants to have a general discussion about the A82, or HGV traffic for that matter, feel free to start a thread in the Other Transport section of the forum.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Have noticed on bustimes that data for a 975X has appeared. It departs Glasgow at 16:30 and arrives Oban at 19:25, with its return leaving at 20:40 and arriving at 23:30.

Is this normally part of the summer timetable or is it an additional to help shift passengers due to the Scotrail issues?

Also, who’d operate the 618 Blackpool service?

InOban

Established Member
it's possible that it's even on contract to scotrail. There have been several Shiel Bus coaches alongside the station this week, and the timings match a missing train (and the southbound service connects into the Sleeper )

Blindtraveler

Established Member
If this is indeed the case then it's a smart move. ScotRail have solidly maintained that there is simply no availability of replacement services during the current period of unrest, but nice to know that someone somewhere is trying to do something. If truth be told I'd rather a coach than an ironing board fitted 156 for some of these journeys in this part of the world anyway.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
If this is indeed the case then it's a smart move. ScotRail have solidly maintained that there is simply no availability of replacement services during the current period of unrest, but nice to know that someone somewhere is trying to do something. If truth be told I'd rather a coach than an ironing board fitted 156 for some of these journeys in this part of the world anyway.
it's possible that it's even on contract to scotrail. There have been several Shiel Bus coaches alongside the station this week, and the timings match a missing train (and the southbound service connects into the Sleeper )
The stops match up too, it’s only Glasgow - Balloch - Crianlarich - Tyndrum - Dalmally - Oban

Perhaps replacing the 20:11 Oban to Queen Street?

route101

Established Member
I noticed stagecoach liveried coaches on the 900. What is the script with this?

LiviCrazy

We did a return journey from Halbeath on the M92/M9 to Aberdeen on Friday/Saturday. The journey up involved a change at Dundee. One of the things I think is great about the Megabus/Citylink network is their interchanges, the fact that the buses are timed to meet each other and you change straight from one to the other.

We were on the 18:45 from Aberdeen, which had an M9 to Glasgow at the same time, this seemed an unusual duplication of a large part of the route. Though it did seem the drivers were marginally (friendly) competitive with each other over the common route.

One thing that did surprise me was the drivers ticking the booking off on a piece of paper. I’m surprised they don’t use QR codes. It would be useful if you could add the e-ticket to your phone’s wallet.

The newish Citylink Coaches are great. Charging points, lights and phone stands on every seat. And the smoothest ride. I’d pick that over the train any day.

LiviCrazy

If you get a decent vehicle then the additional journey time is certainly worth it over Scot rails allocation roulette and potential overcrowding on Aberdeen services
From Halbeath I think the journey time was all of about 20mins difference compared to Inverkeithing by train. Feels a lot faster too with a lot less stopping. Added advantage of a double decker coach gives much better views on a nice day than the train in the steep embankments.

Brooke

Super, thanks both. I might give it a go in June or July and see.
Quick note to thank those that gave advice earlier.

Three successful Munro-bagging day trips from Glasgow this week:

1) 916 to Inverarnan & back: Beinn Chabhair & An Caisteal
2) 926 to Arrochar & back:
Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime
3) 916 to Sloy; 976 back from Arrochar: Ben Vane and then down the valley to Succoth

Every coach was spot on time, immaculately presented, and the services were pretty busy. So very positive overall!

Porty

Just wondered how busy the Glasgow to Edinburgh 900 was during the Edinburgh Festivals - or more generally. I travelled to Glasgow at 1400 and back on the 2130, against the main flow to Edinburgh. 20 or 25 passengers on my journey but I noticed an inbound bus to Edinburgh displaying Bus Full and I assumed it was a 900. Similarly on the return the same on an inbound bus to Glasgow. How common is this? Presumably a very good idea to get on at Edinburgh Bus Station rather than Princes St, Shandwick Place, Haymarket etc to be sure of a return journey on a Saturday night. But is this an issue at other times?

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Just wondered how busy the Glasgow to Edinburgh 900 was during the Edinburgh Festivals - or more generally. I travelled to Glasgow at 1400 and back on the 2130, against the main flow to Edinburgh. 20 or 25 passengers on my journey but I noticed an inbound bus to Edinburgh displaying Bus Full and I assumed it was a 900. Similarly on the return the same on an inbound bus to Glasgow. How common is this? Presumably a very good idea to get on at Edinburgh Bus Station rather than Princes St, Shandwick Place, Haymarket etc to be sure of a return journey on a Saturday night. But is this an issue at other times?
The vast majority are full given the festivals and summer. A large quantity of passengers have converted from rail to coach and rightfully so with the severe lack of reliability and willingness to run a service. The best place to get on to secure a seat is either Glasgow or Edinburgh bus station. A small number of seats are kept for lamppost stops coming out of Edinburgh but they quickly fill up. Out with these times the service can be full or close to full

route101

Established Member
I have seen people queuing for the 900 at Buchannan Bus Station, no doubt when there is rail disruption. It can be often quiet too, during the day off peak outwith the summer peak. Where else in the UK do you have an intensive turn up and go coach service?

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
The bus also provides better links to places like C orstorphine from Glasgow, so it's used for stuff like the zoo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darklord8899

I remember a good few years ago coming back from Glasgow and there was that many people waiting for the 900 that a second coach was put on, both left Glasgow full and there was *still* people waiting (it was summer time, don't recall there being any issues with trains either)

I always pick the 900 over the train between Edinburgh and Glasgow