• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scrap the misguided busway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

Established Member
Trams are presently causing plenty of congestion in Edinburgh. They're not due to start running until 2010 or whatever, and they've not even started laying tracks - this is just them moving the electricity pipes...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Metroland

Established Member
Oh cycling is great - if it wasn't for the 29 million cars on the road. I should know I've been in hospital after being knocked off twice through no fault of my own.

Nick W

Established Member
The problem is the majority of car drivers are just plain stupid. Today 5 cars were behind a van stopped at a red light on the left the of a dual carriageway. The other lane was empty.

The result - I overtook 5 cars, went through the lines as they changed and wizzed on ahead. Took enough time for them to catch up and overtake, and naturally I catch them up at the bottom of the hill waiting to go on the roundabout. Again turning right, I go past them, and with the ability to lean into curves I fly about twice as fast of them round a roundabout and soon leave them behind.

Why do they always insist on overtaking and then holding me up later on?

Metroland

Established Member
According to railway magazine, the new busway is already having cracks starting to appear - and it's not open yet. Thought to be the weight of one of the track laying machines.

DJ_K666

There`s a guided busway in Crawley, about 20 miles north of Brighton. It`s just a few bits of guideway interspersed with lengthy stretches of conventional bus lane (at least, the bits I saw were). It was built in 2002, late, over budget and had to be closed for long periods due to emergency repairs. It also means that only buses with the special guide wheels can use it, so you end up with a situation where the majority of bus traffic is in the normal traffic lanes and getting caught in the same congestion as everything else. My brother mentioned it as a massive waste of money, and he worked for Crawley Council at the time! I do agree, perhaps a two way bus lane would be the best option. You could then put tram rails in as and when required with the buses under contra-flows and temporary lights, and that would still cause less congestion than fitting tram rails to a normal road.

IMHO the Cambridge scheme was a massive white elephant. The heavy rail option may not be the best, and what would happen if no-one used the guided buses? After all, it`s not exactly a hobby of mine, riding round all day (I have to as I`m a bus driver...it`d be too much like going to work on my day off) so really why would I want to? You`d be left with a closed busway that has just cost millions of pounds to build that could have been a railway that could take peopel from one end to the other in minutes.

Isn`t there also a plan to build 2 more platforms at Cambridge station?

Status
Not open for further replies.