• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scunthorpe Volvo Olympians replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

175mph

On Moderation
I live in Scunthorpe where Stagecoach is the main bus operator in the town, and it's depot hasn't received any new vehicles since 2004 save for three new buses for the 350 bus route to Hull. When the fleet is renewed they get cast offs from other town and citie's depots.

From what I know Scunthorpe depot only has the one low floor, DDA compliant double decker bus, with the rest being step entrance Volvo Olympians which won't be replaced until the deadline of January next year.

However, none of the drivers I asked know what the replacements will be or which depot the replacements will be sourced from.

Does anybody here have any knowledge on this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
It's difficult to say for a number of reasons;
1. Scunthorpe's deckers mostly work around school services. It could be that the school work is separated out from the stage services, allowing a number (probably 3 of the current 5) Olympians to stay

2. We don't yet know what the 2016/7 new vehicles order looks like - obviously that will have a massive impact on where vehicles are cascaded from.

3. (Linked to 1 above) We don't know what service/contract changes there may be between now and December; if Stagecoach were to theoretically lose all the school work, then perhaps they'd just bring in single deck replacements.

overthewater

Established Member
Also with a look here: http://humbertransport.blogspot.co.uk/

The changes to North Lincolnshire Council's Concessionary Fares Scheme, that Hornsby and Stagecoach have indicated may lead to commercial service cuts and tendered services being handed back, have been approved by the responsible cabinet member.

On top of that if the Steel plant goes plus the new housing development, gets the goes ahead; then there is alot of changes will need to be looked at.

BestWestern

Established Member
It's difficult to say for a number of reasons;
1. Scunthorpe's deckers mostly work around school services. It could be that the school work is separated out from the stage services, allowing a number (probably 3 of the current 5) Olympians to stay

2. We don't yet know what the 2016/7 new vehicles order looks like - obviously that will have a massive impact on where vehicles are cascaded from.

3. (Linked to 1 above) We don't know what service/contract changes there may be between now and December; if Stagecoach were to theoretically lose all the school work, then perhaps they'd just bring in single deck replacements.

You can probably be reasonably sure that anything Stagecoach buys will have an Alexander Dennis flavour to it - they are the current company standard (and Mr Suiter owns shares). Deckers are generally Scanias of late I believe, but with E400 bodies.

mbonwick

Established Member
Although the majority of vehicles are ADL bodied, there are usually significant offerings from Wrightbus and Optare.

2015 was the first year that there were more Scania based deckers than ADL - but this will not be the case next year.

175mph

On Moderation
You can probably be reasonably sure that anything Stagecoach buys will have an Alexander Dennis flavour to it - they are the current company standard (and Mr Suiter owns shares). Deckers are generally Scanias of late I believe, but with E400 bodies.

I'd love it if the cast offs Scunthorpe got for it's Volvo Olympians replacements was the Volvo BT7L ones from Skegness. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.