• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[SE] New trains for Roslagsbanan, finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonasB

After a long delay, Roslagsbanan's new trains have finally entered service. The 65 km long narrow gauge railway connects Stockholm to its northeastern suburbs and currently uses older trains built in the 1990s. The original plan was for the new trains to make their debut in 2021 but it has been delayed for several reasons. The pandemic and the war in Ukraine are probably partly responsible for the delay. And the fact that Roslagsbanan has a very odd gauge, 891 mm, probably didn't help either.

Five members of the public had been invited to the first trip, and SL made a short film about it (in Swedish with English subtitles).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stuu

Established Member
Amusing how they look pretty much the same size as UK mainline trains, despite the much narrower gauge. Seats look very comfortable too

JonasB

That's probably because they are pretty much the same size as UK mainline trains. Roslagsbanan has a much smaller loading gauge than the standard gauge network. Although at 2.75 m wide, they are 5 cm wider than a class 800.

RailWonderer

Established Member
I rode one of these returning to Stockholm from a day out in the archipelago. The seats are hard and L shaped so very unnatural for your back. After taking the SJ IC services and the Malartag, and the quality of those trains regardless of age, I was surprised at a UK width train operating in Sweden that rode poorly by European standards. They feel creaky and dated and felt dark and dingy. I’m glad they’re getting new trains.

I’ll be returning to Sweden in the next few years and can’t wait to try out those new trains.

JonasB

The current trains on Roslagsbanan feel really old and the update is certainly needed. Although you should not expect a huge step in comfort level, this is a commuter line after all.

But the current trains were a huge improvement when they arrived, they allowed SL to retire a mixed fleet of older vehicles. And by older I mean really ancient. Several vehicles in daily use were built before WWII, and at least one was built before WWI.

JonasB

From what I've hear the first order is to supplement the current trains, but the contract includes an option for 45 more trains so they could replace the current fleet.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I might have a chance to ride the Roslagsban for the first time in a week or two (on a Saturday). What is a good easy out-and-back trip to make to sample the trains (old and/or new). Is there a way of identifying in advance which departures have the new stock?

JonasB

I might have a chance to ride the Roslagsban for the first time in a week or two (on a Saturday). What is a good easy out-and-back trip to make to sample the trains (old and/or new). Is there a way of identifying in advance which departures have the new stock?
According to a post in another forum the single X15p has this planned schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...N7iwElFf4TOPxNdhOCTMfFY17o/edit#gid=353699361

I don't know if it's just this week's schedule or if it will look the same next week.

How much time do you have? You can go all the way to Kårsta if you want to experience the line, it's only 45 minutes on the fast trains.

JonasB

Another thought: If you want to experience a bit of railway history, take the train to Näsbypark and back. Electrified in 1895 the branch is one of the oldest electric railways in the world.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.