• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sea Mills to Severn Beach - Yate to Sea Mills - Cancelled - High Tide

sleepy_hollow

Yesterday the forecast for today was sunny, so I planned a day's cycling from Severn Beach, returning from Yate, intending to travel on the 0904 from Sea Mills, 2K14. I noticed that the Environment Agency had issued flood warnings for the Avon from Sea Mills to Conham, checked the tide forecast, which was for 12.9 m at 0904, just enough to get onto the quay at Sea Mills and checked Real Time Trains, noting that the full service was running, so nothing to worry about. This morning I checked again, and by 0800 cancellations were beginning to appear, with the services turning round at Clifton Down. Oddly the 0904 was not shown as cancelled on the summary view, but the detail showed it as cancelled from Clifton Down, although timings were shown all the way to SVB. At this point I cancelled the train trip and drove to the Mendips to walk over Dolebury and Black Down. There was water in the usual place on the Portway, under the suspension bridge, possibly about 50 mm on the river side at about 0930.

The GWR notice said that the line would remain closed until about 1200 so that Network Rail could inspect the 'viaduct' in daylight. In fact trains were cancelled until after 1700.

After we got through the autumn equinox without trouble, including occasions when the Closure Mark went about 500 mm under I assumed that equinoctial tides would not be a problem, and that the railway had forgotten about closure marks, but unfortunately this seems not to be the case, and we have England's only tidal railway service. Tomorrow's prediction is for 12.8 m, and we probably have about three more high tides before the spring equinox period is over.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
The water level will depend on wind speed and direction and previous rainfall as well as the tides.

Similar closures occur on other lines such as the Looe Branch

sleepy_hollow

Which raises an interesting question. Were these lines built as tidal, or did they become tidal? I suppose the route past Dawlish could be described as tidal, but was presumably not intended to be so, and I know of no evidence that the Clifton Extension was intended to be susceptible to tides. Looe was not affected on Monday, although obviously at the same point in the Atlantic tide cycle as SML.

If I am able to check the tide mark tomorrow I expect to find nothing unusual, probably just below where it would flow into the allotments. Using 'flooding' or 'severe flooding' to describe the events at SML is stretching the meaning of the word. 'Flooding' should be reserved for water getting inside the boundary fence, fish on the ballast and so on.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Also closed a section of the Machynlleth to Aberystwyth due to the high tide.
They used to have a problem at Dovey Junct, but raised the line slightly, which seems to have alleviated it.

And I suspect that when built they didn't have the problem but the gradual increase in sea depths has caused it.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Which raises an interesting question. Were these lines built as tidal, or did they become tidal? I suppose the route past Dawlish could be described as tidal, but was presumably not intended to be so, and I know of no evidence that the Clifton Extension was intended to be susceptible to tides. Looe was not affected on Monday, although obviously at the same point in the Atlantic tide cycle as SML.

If I am able to check the tide mark tomorrow I expect to find nothing unusual, probably just below where it would flow into the allotments. Using 'flooding' or 'severe flooding' to describe the events at SML is stretching the meaning of the word. 'Flooding' should be reserved for water getting inside the boundary fence, fish on the ballast and so on.
I think it's a case of the railway being more cautious these days, together with deterioration of earthworks and structures. There were cancellations on the Looe branch yesterday I believe.

Perhaps the reason should be given as 'risk of flooding' or 'unusually high water levels'?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
We had a similar discussion about high tides and possible flooding on this same stretch of track (Severn Beach line) almost a year ago...

sleepy_hollow

And still we are no wiser as to what is going on, whether administrative muddle or new procedures and limits. So far we seem to have the same situation as list year, where the first predicted highest tide produces a closure after which high tides are ignored. It is almost as if the first highest tide of the year is being used as an annual requalification exercise.

The highest prediction for this full moon is 11.3 m, so we must wait for the new moon in a fortnights time to see what happens.

stuu

Established Member
The weather has a big influence, tides rise higher under low pressure weather systems, and wind pushes them even further - that's what a storm surge is. If the highest tide happens on a tranquil sunny day then the water won't rise as high

sleepy_hollow

This is the Sea Mills new moon high tide at its maximum on Tuesday 12th March 2024, two days ago. Predicted as 13.2 m at 0843. The following day, Wednesday 13th was predicted at 12.8 m but still produced a timetable only planned to start at midday.

240312-5139 Sea Mills Equinox Highest tide 0843 Arch view Station Road-Harbour.JPG240312-5162 Sea Mills Equinox Highest tide 0843--view Station Road station gates-tele.JPG

Generally similar level to the 2014 example in my older picture, below, allowing for the 2014 picture being possibly half an hour ater the peak. The level on the bridge piers seems surprisingly similar. The Environment Agency flood warning referred to a surge above astronomical levels, about 300 mm I think.

108-3 Sea Mills high tide - train.jpg

Tidal predictions:

240313 SML 7 day tides.png 240311 Flood Warning Map.png

The travel arrangements included 8 seater taxis on Tuesday, presumably from the rail replacement stop 1 km away in Shirehampton Road, and a statement that the bridge would reopen after inspection. The Wednesday arrangement does not seem to mention taxis, but hopes that local buses will accept tickets. On both days the trains seem to have started later than planned, and on Tuesday unplanned cancellations resumed about the time of the evening high tide.

240313 GWR SML closure arrangements.png 240312 SML timetable as run - tidal.png 240313 SML timetable as run - tidal.png

Unlike Looe there does not seem to be the excuse of water on the level crossing so we seem to be left with administrative muddle or serious structural change. It might speed up reopening if a resident structural engineer was appointed so that the bridge could be inspected as soon as the closure mark came into view.

sleepy_hollow

And today, Wednesday 10th March 2024, with an astronomical tide prediction of 13.0 m at 0919, with the closure mark then well under trains ran normally all day, including aa the tide turned.

240410 SML Tides.png 240410 SML RTT summary.png

High tide at 0920 BST.

240410-5631 SML New Moon high tide station road - spectators.JPG

The 0931 outbound:

240410-5635 SML New Moon high tide railway bridge 0930 crossing.JPG

Yet yesterday, with an equal predicted height the timetable collapsed completely, due to 'severe flooding'.

240409 SML RTT summary.png 240209 SML RTT 2k25 sample cancellation.png

That is probably it for this year, as the autumn equinox tides are not currently as high as the spring.

The exile

Established Member
Weren’t there pretty strong winds on Tuesday which could have made things a lot worse (or maybe did)

sleepy_hollow

The tide marks suggest nothing abnormal for a 13.0 m prediction on Tuesday, perhaps 50 mm higher than the similar prediction for the Wenesday tide that I photographed on the turn. That is the problem with 'severe flooding' as a reason for closure, no one knows where it is, everyone imagines ballast washed out, fish on the sleepers, an irresistible act of god rather than someone remembering about the closure mark.

240410-5624 SML New Moon high tide arch view harbour.JPG 230413-5695 Sea Mills-alllotment tide mark.JPG

Interestingly, there is now a notice advertising an application for permission to install rock bags round pier 1, to prevent scouring. Perhaps scouring is the reason for the new caution, although I doubt if scouring is much less with 12.7 m, or even 12.0 m, than with 13.0 m. Which still leaves the question of what the closure mark means if trains can run with it well under water?

And apart from scouring, what has happened to the alleged imminent programme for general repair of the truss struts?

230413-5694 Sea Mills railway bridge scouring work notice.JPG