• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season Ticket Renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWT_USER

Firstly, apologies for starting another thread, I am aware there are a couple but I didn't want to hi-jack anyone else's.

I currently commute Hanwell to West Drayton using a zone 4-6 travelcard on Oyster - I use buses a fair bit outside of work so this probably works out better value for me than a direct Hanwell > West Drayton season ticket. It also allows me to go back to Drayton Green via Ealing Broadway if there are any problems.

A few months in the year my commute is likely to change to Hanwell > Reading as the office is relocating. In terms of changing the season ticket over is it possible to do this if I buy it on Oyster? Or will I have to get it on a paper ticket then go to a FGW ticket office to do the changeover?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Firstly, apologies for starting another thread, I am aware there are a couple but I didn't want to hi-jack anyone else's.

I currently commute Hanwell to West Drayton using a zone 4-6 travelcard on Oyster - I use buses a fair bit outside of work so this probably works out better value for me than a direct Hanwell > West Drayton season ticket. It also allows me to go back to Drayton Green via Ealing Broadway if there are any problems.

A few months in the year my commute is likely to change to Hanwell > Reading as the office is relocating. In terms of changing the season ticket over is it possible to do this if I buy it on Oyster? Or will I have to get it on a paper ticket then go to a FGW ticket office to do the changeover?

You can get a changeover on an Oyster season, but only if it is issued by a TOC, not by London Underground. You will need to visit one of the few NR stations with Oyster facilities behind the counter, such as Marylebone

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This recent thread has most of the answers you need.

I believe a London-Underground-issued travelcard can only be changed over to another inboundary travelcard, not a ticket to Reading.

I'd second the advice to take a trip to Marylebone if you want the ticket on Oyster.

SWT_USER

This recent thread has most of the answers you need.

I believe a London-Underground-issued travelcard can only be changed over to another inboundary travelcard, not a ticket to Reading.

I'd second the advice to take a trip to Marylebone if you want the ticket on Oyster.

Thanks. So as I understand it If I buy a paper Zone 4-6 from Hanwell/ Paddington will I be able to change that in to a Hanwell > Reading without too much bother?

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Correct. The paper travelcard will be easier to changeover.

It should however also be possible to transfer away from an Oyster ticket, if the original ticket is purchased from a National Rail TOC (not LU). There's only a handful of NR stations that can issue it on Oyster.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Conversely, however, a paper Travelcard is harder and/or more expensive to use if you want to travel on a journey covered partially but not fully by your Travelcard.

SWT_USER

Conversely, however, a paper Travelcard is harder and/or more expensive to use if you want to travel on a journey covered partially but not fully by your Travelcard.

Yes I'm aware of that, as the office move is likely to be in the early part of the year I'll just have to suffer it for a few months. Thankfully I have a YP railcard or Gold card discount on my Oyster anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.