• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Selby to Doncaster validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg

Established Member
I note there are two sets of fares from Selby to Doncaster, 'not via lds/yrk' and 'any permitted'.

Yet the any permitted appears to add no validity. My question is this: Were there any more permitted routes in the orignial routeing guide and if so, does anyone know when and why they were removed, making the any permitted ticket redundant?

At best, it's slightly misleading as the presence of a not lds/yrk ticket implies that the any permitted ticket should be valid these ways.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Good question. So, does the route "Any Permitted" fare between Selby and Doncaster, which is priced by LNER, allow indirect travel via Leeds or York, which the route "not Leeds / York", priced by Northern, presumably doesn't? And how about indirect travel via Gilberdyke?

P.S. There is a third variant (walk-up) ticket for Selby to Doncaster journeys, which is even cheaper, i.e. "Hull Trains only".

Haywain

Veteran Member
I believe the Any Permitted route is valid via Leeds or via York.

mikeg

Established Member
If it is, why is NRE producing itineraries via Leeds but showing no fares?

jfollows

Established Member
The routeing guide maps (https://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps) defined for the "any permitted" Selby-Doncaster routes are
YL
HL+DW
which appear to exclude both Leeds and York, but allow travel via Goole and Gilberdyke.
There are a number of - mainly negative - easements (http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/easement_text.pdf) relating to Selby but these do not seem to apply to Selby-Doncaster, the closest match is
030048 Journeys from Kings Cross, Peterborough, Grantham, Newark North Gate and Retford to Selby, Wressle, Howden and Eastrington may not travel via York on tickets routed via Doncaster. This easement applies in both directions.
but this is not a direct match for just Selby-Doncaster.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Thanks for that @jfollows. So why is there the relatively expensive Selby->Doncaster ticket, priced by LNER? On what section of the journey from Selby to Doncaster would you actually be travelling on an LNER service?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for that @jfollows. So why is there the relatively expensive Selby->Doncaster ticket, priced by LNER? On what section of the journey from Selby to Doncaster would you actually be travelling on an LNER service?
It's probably an oversight dating from the days when Selby to Doncaster would have been permitted via Leeds or York.

jfollows

Established Member
And I think you're referring to the "any permitted" priced by LNER, so it's valid for all operators, not just LNER. Presumably for historic reasons in which LNER continues to price all the "ECML" flows, and I'm old enough to have travelled Selby-Doncaster when it was the ECML. As mikeg said at the start, it appears to give nothing extra over the one priced by Northern explicitly prohibiting travel via Leeds or York.

westv

Established Member
There is an LNER service Selby to Doncaster once a day and return once a day.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There is an LNER service Selby to Doncaster once a day and return once a day.
Thanks for clarifying. But that's also a direct service between Selby and Doncaster. Don't see why you couldn't use the Anytime Day Single or Return (route "not Leeds / York") on that token LNER service.

Seems that the OP (@mikeg) has a valid point, in that the much higher priced route "Any Permitted" ticket doesn't seem to offer any additional validity worth paying the extra for.

mikeg

Established Member
My point is that the any permitted damn well should be valid those ways given the poor direct service and its high price. Was there a time when it was? If so , its validity should be restored.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
The "not via York/Leeds" route was added relatively recently (maybe within the last 5 years?) I seem to recall at the time the effect was:

Not via York/Leeds - valid direct or via Gilberdyke/Brough
Any Permitted - valid via Gilberdyke/Brough, Leeds or York

I feel like there was a thread about this but I can't fine it now. @Max may recall some details of this?

jfollows

Established Member
4 May 2017 ( #693 )
Doncaster (DON) to Selby (SBY) lose DO
This journey no longer has any mapped routes via York.
An "any permitted" Doncaster-Selby ticket still lets you travel via Gilberdyke, so it's not a complete waste.

mikeg

Established Member
Thanks. I wonder what the response of daft focus was to the necessary consultation on changing the validity...

Also were it not for hull trains these two places with much in common would not have much in the way of links. It seems odd that the presence of HT is being used as an excuse to reduce validity.

Status
Not open for further replies.