• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Separate delay repay account required by Northern Rail. Blocking Tactic ?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I see that Northern Rail requires a separate account to claim delay repay. In the olden days, I seem to recall a simple web form where I would upload an image of my ticket and fill out the details.

I've never been keen on having to have multiple accounts for everything, all needing passwords etc. I wonder - is this a deliberate blocking tactic by Northern Rail to prevent people claiming it ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

redreni

It's well hidden but you can still download a PDF claim form from the following page, print it and send it to them at

FREEPOST NORTHERN RAILWAY

https://northernrail.my.site.com/s/article/Delay-Repay

It would doubtless be more convenient for them if you used their online application process, but I would say it's fair enough for you to look at the way they've set up the online application process as well as the way they run their trains, decide if they've done everything they can to make things as convenient as possible for you, and choose your course of action accordingly.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No; it will just be a part of the software that Northern have bought in. It's probably intended to make it easier to claim if you travel and this claim often, as it will autofill most of the details for you. But for infrequent travellers/claimants it's admittedly a slightly annoying formality.

You can always send a claim via email or post if you prefer.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
No; it will just be a part of the software that Northern have bought in. It's probably intended to make it easier to claim if you travel and this claim often, as it will autofill most of the details for you. But for infrequent travellers/claimants it's admittedly a slightly annoying formality.

It's well hidden but you can still download a PDF claim form from the following page, print it and send it to them at

It would doubtless be more convenient for them if you used their online application process, but I would say it's fair enough for you to look at the way they've set up the online application process as well as the way they run their trains, decide if they've done everything they can to make things as convenient as possible for you, and choose your course of action accordingly.

I think that this will be my chosen course of action. My claims are pretty infrequent.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I see that Northern Rail requires a separate account to claim delay repay. In the olden days, I seem to recall a simple web form where I would upload an image of my ticket and fill out the details.
This appears to be the case with every train operator, it certainly is with those I've used for booking tickets. It's probably got some GDPR reasoning behind it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
This appears to be the case with every train operator, it certainly is with those I've used for booking tickets. It's probably got some GDPR reasoning behind it.

It seems a relatively recent development. It wouldn't be so annoying if it used my existing Northern Rail account.

redreni

Before the EL opened I was delayed a couple of times a week on average on Thameslink (more frequently than that for the first 3 months after the May 2018 timetable debacle) and I found keeping a stack of photocopied delay repay forms in my office drawer, with the details of my season ticket pre-filled, was a very efficient way of doing it as far as keeping my own admin down. It struck me that improving punctuality would probably be the best way for the train company to get its own admin costs down!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You're being a bit hard on yourself!

oops - typo corrected.

It's not just the railway that bugs me in this way. Every single TV streaming channel seems require an "account" now, in spite of the fact that they're free to view.

Haywain

Veteran Member
improving punctuality would probably be the best way for the train company to get its own admin costs down!
I'm sure they all seek to improve punctuality but much of it is outside of their own control.

redreni

I'm sure they all seek to improve punctuality but much of it is outside of their own control.
Compared to 2018 the Thameslink Luton to Rainham service is very much more reliable now. The problems were largely down to Thameslink's own complete failure to recruit and train up enough drivers and have them acquire route knowledge on the core section and the bit from Deptford Junction down to Rainham. So my impression that it was up to them to take action so they could run the timetable wasn't entirely without foundation.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It seems a relatively recent development. It wouldn't be so annoying if it used my existing Northern Rail account.
The oldest claim I have on the Northern delay repay website dates back to 2018! It's not that recent!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Really ! I guess i don't get delayed very often.
It's always possible that it's brought over some older claims from an older systems so doesn't date back that far but I've been using the current delay repay website for several years at least.

OscarH

I thought GTR shared the account between the tickets site and the delay repay one, but perhaps I just setup the accounts with the same password many years ago

I always just assumed it was because they're usually both off the shelf whitelabel systems from different suppliers, and no one wanted to pay to integrate between them to be honest

jamiearmley

You can also get a paper form and a free post envelope from any staffed station in the region, and from many on board crew as well.

TheTallOne

Back in the day, I had an annual pass paid out my salary and delays were added up and a discount was given on next year's pass. Great idea. No admin.

Then they said do delay repay but only gave rail vouchers. Not much use when I never used rail outside of commuting on the annual pass. Even weekend use was covered on the same services on that pass.

At least now you can get cash in the bank!

Progress eh!

Kite159

Veteran Member
The time it takes to set up an account will be minimal compared to the time it takes to print off the form to submit a claim via the post.

You can even set it up with the same username & password to make things easier

sheff1

Established Member
No; it will just be a part of the software that Northern have bought in. It's probably intended to make it easier to claim if you travel and this claim often, as it will autofill most of the details for you.
I have to claim from Northern often and find their system probably the easiest of all those I have used.

The time it takes to set up an account will be minimal compared to the time it takes to print off the form to submit a claim via the post.

You can even set it up with the same username & password to make things easier
Exactly this.

RAPC

I just checked my account and my first claim via the current system was in May 2018. Depends on your definition of 'recent'

island

Veteran Member
Back in the day, I had an annual pass paid out my salary and delays were added up and a discount was given on next year's pass. Great idea. No admin.
The customer charter scheme operated with a discount, usually 5% or 10%, on renewals where the train company failed to hit performance targets on the relevant route. It was a blunt instrument and not a case of delays being "added up". And it wasn't great for people who changed/didn't renew their season tickets.

Fermiboson

It's always possible that it's brought over some older claims from an older systems so doesn't date back that far but I've been using the current delay repay website for several years at least.
Northern have said that they last updated the Delay Repay website in 2018, and the account system in April 2021. I don’t think anyone thought too hard about it - it’s part of the trend of doing everything on the internet under an account model even for things that don‘t need it. (Increased data leak/sale risk, don’t reuse passwords, cock-up before malice, yadda yadda)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Northern have said that they last updated the Delay Repay website in 2018, and the account system in April 2021.
Aha! April 2021 feels a bit more like what I was thinking for the account system to have been introduced. Either way, by measures other than those used by @yorksrob, it isn't a recent innovation ;)

HurdyGurdy

TPE also makes you have a separate delay-repay account.

If you want to make an online claim for Delay Repay from Northern, you do need to create an account for that purpose. But Northern don't make you have an additional account unless you actually want to purchase tickets, etc from them.

I'm quite happy with the principle that registering details to make Delay Repay claims online from a TOC is different and therefore separate from subscribing to that TOC's sales site to purchase tickets. That's because I choose not to purchase tickets from Northern, but I'm regularly delayed by them.

It would concern me if TOCs thought it appropriate to force me to subscribe to their ticket purchasing site, with its T&Cs, marketing opt-outs, etc if I was entitled to Delay Repay from them and simply wanted to claim online. Is the OP suggesting that should be the case?