• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Service charges added to bills

TheSmiths82

I've been in a few pubs where it asks me how much tip I want to leave on the card, the options are usually £2. I am not giving a £2 tip for a £5 pint.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DM352

Some parts of Canada are even worse (British Columbia in my limited experience). Get the bill, add the sale tax, add the liquor tax, then add the service charge.
The US and Canada have servers who become your transient best friend through the dining experience where I would rather pay up front and they leave us alone.

Difference now is Canadian staff get at least minimum wage by law where in the US the staff still mostly survive on service charges and tips. Been caught out a few times where service charge was added for a group and then they want a tip which was 15% but now tip creep is 20 %up to 30%on top! Takeaway and off licence seem a better option! It was strange at a British pub in Vancouver where they explained that tipping is customary with a table of tip amounts per spend.

In addition, the new trend in US and Canada is tip for takeout since covid!

TheSmiths82

£5 pint? Bargain!

It depends what it is, in Manchester I typically pay anything from around £4.50 to £6. I would say £5.50-£6 is more typical now. Central London always seemed ridiculously expensive compared to Manchester City Centre but while London is still more expensive it is less noticeable now apart from the odd West End tourist trip where £8 is known.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Isn't that already the case? AFAIK, you are under no obligation to pay any charge that isn't clearly displayed.

I think if its going to be presented on the bill then it should be advertised in advance.

Adding something onto the bill which you've not been advised of previously shouldn't be allowed. It shouldn't be an "opt out" situation!

I always consider such actions poor service which results in no tip anyway, but I have the inclination to make a fuss about it, it shouldn't be an expectation that people have to do that, and that those who are not confident to do so simply have to put up with paying more.