• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Services around Sarajevo

Zamracene749

Hi, I'm looking to visit Sarajevo soon, but it seems that rail services have been decimated. I know that the Ploce- Mostar -Sarajevo trains are running summer only, but it seems that other than a flight it isn't possible to leave Sarajevo towards Croatia or Serbia by rail. Is this the case, or have I just missed something on the local rail websites? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
You can't even get to/from the Republika Srpska anymore - they run completely separately as far as I can tell.

Definitely no service to Serbia - no service to Croatia other than the summer ones to Ploče.

I had a wander to Sarajevo station when I was there last October. A truly forlorn place. There's a smattering of local services (and a few return services to just past Mostar) but not a lot going on otherwise.

The trams are interesting - I believe they're set to be replaced soon as well. So definitely worth a ride on the various old models. Sarajevo in general is brilliant - a great city.

peterblue

Hi, I'm looking to visit Sarajevo soon, but it seems that rail services have been decimated. I know that the Ploce- Mostar -Sarajevo trains are running summer only, but it seems that other than a flight it isn't possible to leave Sarajevo towards Croatia or Serbia by rail. Is this the case, or have I just missed something on the local rail websites? Thanks.

You can definitely travel from Sarajevo to Mostar and Caplijna and vv. Fantastic railway journey by the way and very scenic - I'd definitely recommend. Most trains are a bit worn through but quirky in a historic sense.

There are also indeed trams from llidza (western suburbs) to the centre. When I was there last early last year there were roadworks meaning the trams couldn't take the full route, instead turning back somewhere near the railway station - not sure if the entire route is in operation now.

Last edited:

mugam4

The flagship route, Sarajevo - Mostar - Čapljina ( - Ploče) sees modern Talgos (hauled by an islanded HŽPP loco for the Croatian stretch (!)), and winds through stunning scenery as posted above. Highly recommend.

There is a gap between the ŽFBH (railways of the Federation) and ŽRS (railways of the Republika Srpska) Maglaj-Doboj, and a gap between the ŽRS and HŽPP Dobrljin - Volinja (although practically for a non-rail passenger who wished to cross the gap, Kostajnica on the Croatian side).

I've created a map of ŽFBH's current service from their current published timetable to illustrate.

1711979962401.png

route101

Established Member
I recall taking a service overnight from Zagreb to Sarajevo.

Oxfordblues

I remember spending an evening at Sarajevo station awaiting a train to Ljubljana and the West. Suddenly the whole city disappeared in a complete blackout. Only the signal-lights remained on. That was about 1974.

peterblue

There's also a cable car in the Sarajevo area that's worth checking out - goes up to a nearby hill and has some good views of the city from the top.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
The flagship route, Sarajevo - Mostar - Čapljina ( - Ploče) sees modern Talgos (hauled by an islanded HŽPP loco for the Croatian stretch (!)), and winds through stunning scenery as posted above. Highly recommend.

There is a gap between the ŽFBH (railways of the Federation) and ŽRS (railways of the Republika Srpska) Maglaj-Doboj, and a gap between the ŽRS and HŽPP Dobrljin - Volinja (although practically for a non-rail passenger who wished to cross the gap, Kostajnica on the Croatian side).

I've created a map of ŽFBH's current service from their current published timetable to illustrate.

View attachment 155530

This is an immensely helpful map! Indeed shows the sparse level of service heading north once you're past Visoko.

Can also confirm as per @peterblue that the cable car is definitely worth a ride.

EuroRail

I've also seen from the ERT that services have declined since I was last there in 2016. Then, the Zagreb train was still running and there was still a service from Doboj to Tuzla, usually a dmu but sometimes a loco and one or two carriages! Such a shame. Sarajevo itself is fascinating and a wonderful city to wander around, see trams (there were also trolleybuses, I wonder if they're still running) and the buildings. The Sarajevo brewery also had an attached bar and restaurant which had one interesting dish - chicken with cornflakes - a coating which was surprisingly good!

zero

I don't have much time in Bosnia so I was thinking that if the timetable works out, after I arrive at SJJ airport I will get myself to Ilidža by bus/tram and catch the train into Sarajevo.

There is a photo on Google which shows a small concrete structure beside the track, not sure if that is the actual station, but it doesn't look like much if it is. Do I have to wave the train down? Is there a conductor/guard on board who will sell me a ticket?

If going the other direction it appears that I would have to be in a specific part of the train to alight, but I don't think they will make announcements (in English), any ideas if this is the case?

Also the GRAS website says there is a day ticket for 5.30 KM. Can this be bought on board or only at kiosks? Some tourist websites say that tram tickets are not valid on buses etc - is the day ticket valid on everything or are there separate day tickets for each mode?