• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn Valley Diesel Gala 2024 16th-19th May

Hello all I know that the line up for the gala is in no way finalised yet but publicly announced so far is 37409 from LSL and a class 70 the picture on rail advent is of a freightliner one but the text doesn't explicitly say that so it COULD be a colas one, in the case of the 70 I think that's a new class for the line. What would everyone else like? It would be good to see a 57/0 go i think there's only been one visit of one to the line to date so that would be good imo

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MP393

Hello all I know that the line up for the gala is in no way finalised yet but publicly announced so far is 37409 from LSL and a class 70 the picture on rail advent is of a freightliner one but the text doesn't explicitly say that so it COULD be a colas one, in the case of the 70 I think that's a new class for the line. What would everyone else like? It would be good to see a 57/0 go i think there's only been one visit of one to the line to date so that would be good imo

The post on the SVR Facebook page states a Freightliner 70 on the announcement

Arh fair does, I ain't hot face faceache so I don't get that, as I say the pic was a FL one so I did think that was the way it was gonna go, it would be better if it does the full length of the line instead of just Bewdley shuttles but I suppose we will find out in the fullness of time

JonathanH

Veteran Member
instead of just Bewdley shuttles
Last time's timetable was somewhat derided, but at least it gave the moderm engines the opportunity to get to Highley instead of just doing Bewdley.

It is always going to be a challenge to keep time on a line with awkwardly distributed single track sections, but something like the timetable last time is good for getting a bit longer distance on the visiting locomotives.

Last time's timetable was somewhat derided, but at least it gave the moderm engines the opportunity to get to Highley instead of just doing Bewdley.

It is always going to be a challenge to keep time on a line with awkwardly distributed single track sections, but something like the timetable last time is good for getting a bit longer distance on the visiting locomotives.
I honestly think though they had too many visitors so they had to cram them in any old how, mybee this year not so many but quality over quantity

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Nothing on the SVR website yet about a Class 70 that I can see. The 37/4 already advertised will be able to provide ETS for an airbraked rake top and tail with a 70 (or indeed any other modern freight diesels, as they are airbrake only but lack ETS). 47712 did the honours last year with a 56, 57, 60 and 88.

MP393

Nothing on the SVR website yet about a Class 70 that I can see. The 37/4 already advertised will be able to provide ETS for an airbraked rake top and tail with a 70 (or indeed any other modern freight diesels, as they are airbrake only but lack ETS). 47712 did the honours last year with a 56, 57, 60 and 88.

A 70 can’t couple directly to the stock anyway due to clearance from the light clusters on the Loco ends so would need another loco between the stock + 70 regardless!

Doesn’t appear they have updated the website but the Facebook page has announced it, not much use for those who don’t use it though of course!

12LDA28C

Established Member
The 37/4 already advertised will be able to provide ETS for an airbraked rake top and tail with a 70 (or indeed any other modern freight diesels, as they are airbrake only but lack ETS). 47712 did the honours last year with a 56, 57, 60 and 88.

A very short rake though. ETS index on a 37/4 is rather lower than on 47712.

Freightliner class 59 confirmed according to dail advent,been a while since one of them went

Bevan Price

Established Member
I wonder if they will they do an Eardington shuttle like they doing on the steam gala?
Please delete; got my gala dates mixed up.

Edit : With so many locos expected to work, some of them are almost certain to do very little mileage.

Last edited:

Rail advent are now saying the Colas class 70 can no longer attend (freightliner one not affected) so replaced with 2 Colas hst power cars showing as 43301/303,also says 20007/048/142/189 & 205 will work although i expect not all on all days, I expect we will see

Peter749

I'm a bit disappointed with the timetable for this gala as a lot of postings on the SVR Facebook page about the visitors and then they don't really use them.

Each day the LSL 37 & Mk3 set is back and forth but the visiting locos attaches for a 12 min run Kidderminster to Bewdley with the 37 doing the return work.
The 37 does get further down the line very late evenings on Friday and Saturday

During the day the Colas HST is pottering back and forth and the RA 43s are also doing work - the visiting 59 + 69 don't work until the evening on Saturday and Sunday

If the SVR had some Air/Dual Braked stock then the visiting locos could do other trips

Peter

Falcon1200

Established Member
It is an incredibly ambitious timetable, and I will certainly be visiting; But I am also slightly disappointed because it will not be possible to travel behind the two locos I am most interested in, 20048 and 20007. Best wishes to the SVR regardless.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Last year the most of the "guests" - or at least those which required airbrakes and thus the Mark 3 rake - only did one round trip a day, but did go as far as Highley. I was there on the Saturday and the Class 57, 60 and 88 only did one trip each, whilct the 56 did two. The timetable was very intense, with long dwell times at Arley so that each train allowed two to pass in the other direction.

I had a great time though, getting classes 17, 20, 42, 56, 60 and 88 for haulage for the first time. (I've since also had a 14, 35 and 44, meaning that 59, 69 and 70 are the only operable classes (other than shunters) I still require for haulage.

This year the visitors mainly seem to only be going as far as Bewdley. And the 59 and 69 don't put in appearance until the Saturday, on which day the 70 is not scheduled to appear until 1945, making a return to Kidderminster too late to catch a train home that night. And on Sunday it's running too early to get there in time!

TBC what the Colas visitor is to be, but since it was to have been a 70 and is now "tbc" I'm not hopeful.

Rail Quest

Does anyone recall how busy the Thursday was last year compared to the other three days? I may end up going down on the Thursday, hoping it might be a little less crowded haha

Bevan Price

Established Member
Last year the most of the "guests" - or at least those which required airbrakes and thus the Mark 3 rake - only did one round trip a day, but did go as far as Highley. I was there on the Saturday and the Class 57, 60 and 88 only did one trip each, whilct the 56 did two. The timetable was very intense, with long dwell times at Arley so that each train allowed two to pass in the other direction.

I had a great time though, getting classes 17, 20, 42, 56, 60 and 88 for haulage for the first time. (I've since also had a 14, 35 and 44, meaning that 59, 69 and 70 are the only operable classes (other than shunters) I still require for haulage.

This year the visitors mainly seem to only be going as far as Bewdley. And the 59 and 69 don't put in appearance until the Saturday, on which day the 70 is not scheduled to appear until 1945, making a return to Kidderminster too late to catch a train home that night. And on Sunday it's running too early to get there in time!

TBC what the Colas visitor is to be, but since it was to have been a 70 and is now "tbc" I'm not hopeful.
Yes - the Saturday timetable is very unhelpful for anyone wanting to get there by rail. No chance of getting a ride behind the 70, so I won't be going this year.
(Saturday is my best day to get there - no peak hour ticket restrictions.)

87electric

Such an ambitious timetable that it’s uninspiring for me. It will be well attended though I am sure of that and the revenue stream will be huge.

Lots of unhappy peeps on the Severn Valley Facebook page, mainly for the reasons pointed out above, too many locos again, sometimes less is more

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Getting the modern traction through to Highley last year made for a much more worthwhile experience than just doing shuttles to Bewdley from Kidderminster., but the timetable did slip over time. In concept the timetable did appear good, even though it came at the cost of long dwells at Arley.

This time it is thinned out but, with connections not guaranteed at Kidderminster once delay kicks in, trying to pick up any of the engines only doing Bewdley short workings means that you effectively have to sit on the Mark 3 set all day.