• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shed Codes

grumpyxch

During BR days, all steam loco sheds had been allocated shed codes. For example, Plaistow was 33A. During the time it was part of the LMS, it was 13A. I dont know what the GWR, SR and LNER did as an equivalent. Was this type of shed code started by the LMS, or were they earlier than that? In particular, did the Midland Railway use this type of shed code?

Thanks for your help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
Each did their own way. GWR used letter codes for the sheds, an abbreviation of the name rather than a structured code, and painted them on the side of the loco frames just by the cylinders. TN was for Taunton, and in the typical railway way there were oddballs, such as Old Oak Common was always PDN for Paddington. You often find this on old GWR locos on heritage railways.

George Behrend, writing in his GWR book "Gone With Regret", when in the army in WW2 in Italy, noticed that someone managing the Italian railways which had been taken over had done exactly the same, in the same way right down to the font; there was TTO for Taranto. He presumed a GWR enthusiast officer was in charge.

John Webb

Established Member
During BR days, all steam loco sheds had been allocated shed codes. For example, Plaistow was 33A. During the time it was part of the LMS, it was 13A. I dont know what the GWR, SR and LNER did as an equivalent. Was this type of shed code started by the LMS, or were they earlier than that? In particular, did the Midland Railway use this type of shed code?

Thanks for your help
According to "Midland Style" from the Historical Model Railway Society (published 1975 and 1978, ISBN 0 902835 02 5) the MR shed codes were introduced in 1898 and were a one or two-digit number on a tablet fitted in various locations over the years - by 1909 the lower part of the smokebox door was the usual location.

Last edited:

Interestingly shed codes have turned into a kind of bullying on the railway. Train crew depots that had shed codes as they are historical have a habit of writing them on fault books etc and even have stickers made to put on to vehicles etc. Modern depot such as the new Elizabeth line one are not able to do this and tbh it does annoy some people as it feels like those depots are inferior.

Controversial I know.

Veteran Member

Thanks for your help
SR used 2- or 3-letter codes which BRDatabase has for 1948 allocations.
Interestingly shed codes have turned into a kind of bullying on the railway. Train crew depots that had shed codes as they are historical have a habit of writing them on fault books etc and even have stickers made to put on to vehicles etc. Modern depot such as the new Elizabeth line one are not able to do this and tbh it does annoy some people as it feels like those depots are inferior.
Any particular depot you can evidence?

Big Jumby 74

Interestingly shed codes have turned into a kind of bullying on the railway
I can't comment on that aspect. I would like to think someone has misunderstood the use of 'old' style items. In my time on the job, many people had a very real pride in working at certain locations, and despite said places having passed in to history, and those who worked there having either done likewise, or at least been long retired - as am I - there is still pride amongst some for having been associated with certain locations. I have acquaintances to this day who were on the shovel at the likes of Feltham and Nine Elms, and having even a distant connection to the people who worked there, gives me some pride at having worked on the same patch, even if not at those specific locations - closed just before I joined ! In more recent times a couple of our (SWD) depots had stickers and badges made up, sometimes in association with public open days but also for the staff in relation to types of traction they worked on.
These things shouldn't necessarily be taken as a 'snub' by the younger generation on the job, and I genuinely hope there is no 'bullying'.......but I am from an older generation, and things may have changed?

grumpyxch

According to "Midland Style" from the Historical Model Railway Society (published 1975 and 1978, ISBN 0 902835 02 5) the MR shed codes were introduced in 1898 and were a one or two-digit number on a tablet fitted in various locations over the years - by 1909 the lower part of the smokebox door was the usual location.
Thankyou, but that wasn't quite what I was after. When the railways were nationalised, they had to renumber the steam locos otherwise there was the potential for many cases of 4 locos having the same number. They got round this by adding 30000 to SR loco numbers, 40000 to LMS loco numbers, etc, but left GW loco numbers as was. I was just wondering if, when they grouped the railways, the LMS did something similar to the shed codes they inherited, and left one member railway alone (for example Midland Railway), then attached the other member railways with a similar style of shed codes. That way Plaistow could have been 13A from either 1912 when it was bought by the Midland, or 1923, the time of grouping - the question is which? If the answer is 1912, there is the possibility of it being pre-1912, but, with only 4 sheds, I doubt the LTSR would have called it 13A so that is unlikely to the point of impossible.

Gloster

Established Member
LMS Sheds in Camera (Hooper, OPC, 1983) includes a couple of lists, but as it is a pictorial book there is no explanation. The first is from 1925 and has four divisions: Midland, Western “A” (LNWR plus Furness and North Staffs, etc.), Western”B” (L&Y) and Northern (Kingmoor and beyond). The first three each has a number series starting at 1: 5, for example, is Brecon, Northampton or Mirfield. The Northern sheds do not have codes and neither do the former Furness, North Staffs, North London, LT&SR or Dundalk, Newry and Greenore sheds. A presumption would be that all three (Midland, LNWR and L&Y) had simple numerical codes before grouping.

A 1935 map shows that all main sheds had a code in a series that ran from 1A Willesden to 29K Forres; the latter had sub-sheds at Keith and Burghead, and was subordinate to 29A Perth. The order of the sheds was former LNWR, former Midland, former L&Y and Scottish. The smaller companies’ sheds now had numbers within the system: Plaistow was at the start of the Midland series. There had been changes: for, example, Brecon was now a sub to 4C Upper Bank, which was under 4A, the former LNWR Shrewsbury shed.

Beebman

I've just done some research in the online archive of the RCTS 'Railway Observer'. This is available at https://archive.rcts.org.uk/the-railway-observer-editions/ and can be accessed for free with the registration of an account. (You don't have to be a member of the RCTS - I'm not!)

Each monthly edition has the latest loco reallocations for each company with the relevant shed codes in use at the time. Prior to 1935 it would appear that the LMS used a separate number series for each division - for example there seems to be M, C and W for Midland, Central and Western. Generally only codes are quoted without the depot names. I can't find any full list of codes but as some examples of named depots I've seen there's M10 Leicester, M33 Carlisle, C2 Low Moor, C6 Wakefield, C16 Wigan, W1 Camden, W1W Watford, W21C Caernarvon and W26 Edge Hill. As far as I can see there's no codes given for the Northern Division, i.e. Scotland.

Going back further to earlier issues the Midland Division codes are just given as numbers with no 'M' prefix so were these inherited from the MR? Anyway, I found in issue no.19 dated Sept 1930 on p.140 some details of recent shed visits to ex-LTSR sheds and the code for Plaistow is quoted as '34'. (Shoeburyness is '35' and Tilbury is '36').

Hopefully that provides some useful info - I wish I could find a full list of codes but maybe there's one lurking in one of the issues?

etr221

I've just done some research in the online archive of the RCTS 'Railway Observer'. This is available at https://archive.rcts.org.uk/the-railway-observer-editions/ and can be accessed for free with the registration of an account. (You don't have to be a member of the RCTS - I'm not!)

Each monthly edition has the latest loco reallocations for each company with the relevant shed codes in use at the time. Prior to 1935 it would appear that the LMS used a separate number series for each division - for example there seems to be M, C and W for Midland, Central and Western. Generally only codes are quoted without the depot names. I can't find any full list of codes but as some examples of named depots I've seen there's M10 Leicester, M33 Carlisle, C2 Low Moor, C6 Wakefield, C16 Wigan, W1 Camden, W1W Watford, W21C Caernarvon and W26 Edge Hill. As far as I can see there's no codes given for the Northern Division, i.e. Scotland.

Going back further to earlier issues the Midland Division codes are just given as numbers with no 'M' prefix so were these inherited from the MR? Anyway, I found in issue no.19 dated Sept 1930 on p.140 some details of recent shed visits to ex-LTSR sheds and the code for Plaistow is quoted as '34'. (Shoeburyness is '35' and Tilbury is '36').

Hopefully that provides some useful info - I wish I could find a full list of codes but maybe there's one lurking in one of the issues?
I'm sure there are lists of shed codes around - probably some on line (Google is your friend). But it's worth pointing out that - particularly with the LMS/BR system which reflected motive power department organisation - there were a lot of changes over the years, as reorganisations and regional boundary changes happened.

Last edited:

jp4712

The LMS system, the basis of the original BR system, came I think from the Midland? I know for a fact that the LYR used a simple number system, starting from 1 (Newton Heath).

Beebman

The LMS system, the basis of the original BR system, came I think from the Midland? I know for a fact that the LYR used a simple number system, starting from 1 (Newton Heath).
According to P.218 of the Feb 1932 edition of RO, Newton Heath had the code C1. While I was browsing through other issues I found that Derby had the code M1. The use of suffix letters seemed to used solely for sub-sheds, e.g. Skipton was M30 while Hellifield was M30A.

75A

Established Member
75A1950–1973Brighton
Sub-sheds Eastbourne (1952–1965), Horsham (1959–1964), Newhaven (to 1955), Three Bridges (1964–1965), Tunbridge Wells West (1963–1965)
Became BI
75B1950–1965Redhill
Sub-sheds Tunbridge Wells West (1965)
Became sub-shed of 73C
75C1950–1966Norwood Junction
1966–1973SelhurstBecame SU
75D1950–1959HorshamBecame sub-shed of 75A
1962–1973Stewarts LanePreviously 73A, became SL
75E1950–1964Three BridgesBecame sub-shed of 75A
75F1950–1963Tunbridge Wells WestBecame sub-shed of 75A, later 75B and finally shed TW under TOPS. Now used by Spa Valley Railway
75G1950–1952EastbourneBecame sub-shed of 75A

Bevan Price

Established Member
Thankyou, but that wasn't quite what I was after. When the railways were nationalised, they had to renumber the steam locos otherwise there was the potential for many cases of 4 locos having the same number. They got round this by adding 30000 to SR loco numbers, 40000 to LMS loco numbers, etc, but left GW loco numbers as was. I was just wondering if, when they grouped the railways, the LMS did something similar to the shed codes they inherited, and left one member railway alone (for example Midland Railway), then attached the other member railways with a similar style of shed codes. That way Plaistow could have been 13A from either 1912 when it was bought by the Midland, or 1923, the time of grouping - the question is which? If the answer is 1912, there is the possibility of it being pre-1912, but, with only 4 sheds, I doubt the LTSR would have called it 13A so that is unlikely to the point of impossible.
I think the GWR locos were not renumbered because it would be expensive to replace all the cabside brass number plates. Replacing iron smokebox number plates on other (non-GWR) locos would be less costly - and for cabside number, you just needed a "number" transfer or a paint brush..

I think that LNER also used letter codes - was KX used for Kings Cross depot ?

Western Sunset

Established Member
The GW also had a numbering system with 1 being the London Division, 2 Bristol and so on.

That's why, with the formation of BR, Old Oak became 81A (rather than 80A).

Beebman

I think that LNER also used letter codes - was KX used for Kings Cross depot ?
Quickly looking randomly at a 1932 issue of RO, KX was indeed used for Kings Cross but all other depots seemed to have 3-letter codes, e.g. IMM - Immingham, NOR - Norwich, CAM - Cambridge, RET - Retford. In the same issue for GWR codes there's PDN for Old Oak Common (as mentioned in an earlier post) and while the codes generally seem to have 3 letters (e.g. RDG - Reading, TYS - Tyseley), Newton Abbot is NA.

Also there's SR codes, these are quite varied, e.g. F - Fratton, NE - Nine Elms, FEL - Feltham, St.L - St Leonards, 3B - Three Bridges.

This is certainly worthy of further study, unfortunately I've no more time today but the LMS ones have sparked some personal interest and maybe later this week I'll try and compile a list of those.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I think the GWR locos were not renumbered because it would be expensive to replace all the cabside brass number plates.
I'm surprsied no-one thought of renumbering (using painted numbers) as an excuse for relaising the scrap value of over 7,500 numberplates

Gloster

Established Member
The Southern Railway does not appear to have had any formal coding, although various abbreviations were used for some purposes. It did continue with the former LBSCR and SECR system for a while after grouping, but this fell away; the LSWR did not have a system. The LBSCR used a letter system: B - Battersea, Bog - Bognor, Bton - Brighton, etc. with the two slight oddities of N+ - New Cross and 3B - Three Bridges. The SECR used numbers, starting at 1 - Battersea and, after the London depots, running in a somewhat random order to 18 - Reading and 19 - Folkestone Junction.

Source: An HistoriCal Survey of Southern Sheds (Hawkins and Reeve, OPC, 1979).

The LNWR seems to have had a system similar to the one adopted by the LMS around 1935: numbers with a letter for sub-sheds. The shed plate appears to have been fitted to the rear of the cab-roof.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I'm surprsied no-one thought of renumbering (using painted numbers) as an excuse for relaising the scrap value of over 7,500 numberplates
No chance of that whilst Western Region acted as if it was still independent for many years after BR was created. (Why else did it get diesel hydraulic locos rather than diesel electric ??)

xotGD

Established Member
Quickly looking randomly at a 1932 issue of RO, KX was indeed used for Kings Cross but all other depots seemed to have 3-letter codes, e.g. IMM - Immingham, NOR - Norwich, CAM - Cambridge, RET - Retford.
Do you happen to know what the LNER code was for Gateshead? GAT?

Beebman

Do you happen to know what the LNER code was for Gateshead? GAT?
I've not seen a GAT code but I have seen GHD which I assume is Gateshead.

Going back to the LMS Midland Division, the Jan 1931 issue of RO carries a full list of main shed codes as follows:

1. Derby
2. Burton
3. Saltley
4. Worcester
5. Templecombe
6. Highbridge
7. Gloucester
8. Bristol
9. Peterborough
10. Leicester

11. Wigston
12. Kettering
13. Wellingborough
14. Bedford
15. Cricklewood
16. Kentish Town
17. Toton
18. Nottingham
19. Liverpool
20. Buxton

21. Manchester
22. Westhouses
23. Hasland
24. Staveley
25. Sheffield
26. Normanton
27. York
28. Leeds
29. Bradford
30. Skipton

31. Carnforth
32. Lancaster
33. Carlisle
34. Plaistow
35. Tilbury
36. Upminster
37. Shoeburyness

Taunton

Established Member
The GW also had a numbering system with 1 being the London Division, 2 Bristol and so on.

That's why, with the formation of BR, Old Oak became 81A (rather than 80A).
Yes, although these were grouped by operating divisions, the shed codes in GWR times just being abbreviations of each name before BR structured them into LMS-type codes. Pre-1923 there were seven divisions, then the South Wales valley companies made 8, and the Cambrian made 9, hence shed groups 81 to 89. They aligned with working timetables, and to quite some extent with traditional public timetable tables as well. GWR Loco allocations were by physical location, not necessarily a formal shed, which required a Loco Foreman (shedmaster in BR terms); locations could be quite small branch-end points, where admin jobs like coal records were just done by the senior driver. The Loco Foreman would be the only staff member at the shed who wore a suit, albeit pretty well coal-impregnated.

Was the GWR the last company where locos, sheds and loco crews were under the control of the CME rather than the operating department?

Western Sunset

Established Member
So to clarify; GW shed number and code, plus the initial BR code were:

Old Oak [shed # 101, code PDN] - 81A
Bath Road [shed # 22, code BRD] - 82A
Newton Abbot [shed # 133, code NA] - 83A
Stafford Road [shed # 194, code SRD] - 84A
Worcester [shed # 215, code WOS] - 85A
Ebbw Jn [shed # 76, code NPT] - 86A
Neath [shed # 137, code NEA] - 87A
Cathays [shed # 58, code CHYS] - 88A
Oswestry [shed # 129, code OSW] - 89A

As in GWRs usual contrary way, the Division was the last digit of the shed number, which was perpetuated into BRs coding.

Beebman

So to clarify; GW shed number and code, plus the initial BR code were:

Old Oak [shed # 101, code PDN] - 81A
Bath Road [shed # 22, code BRD] - 82A
Newton Abbot [shed # 133, code NA] - 83A
Stafford Road [shed # 194, code SRD] - 84A
Worcester [shed # 215, code WOS] - 85A
Ebbw Jn [shed # 76, code NPT] - 86A
Neath [shed # 137, code NEA] - 87A
Cathays [shed # 58, code CHYS] - 88A
Oswestry [shed # 129, code OSW] - 89A

As in GWRs usual contrary way, the Division was the last digit of the shed number, which was perpetuated into BRs coding.
Very coincidentally I've just found a complete list of GWR number and letter codes in RO and I was about to post about it! The list can be found on pages 58 & 59 of the April 1935 edition (vol 7, no 74). The following link should open up the PDF of the issue for anyone who's registered (free of charge) on the RCTS site:

https://archive.rcts.org.uk/pdf-viewer.php?pdf=RO-0074

Western Sunset

Established Member
That's interesting. Looks like the GW changed some of their alpha shed codes at some point, though the numeric shed numbers stayed consistent.

Bevan Price

Established Member
WB Yeadon compiled a paperback book, "LNER Locomotive Allocations on 1st January 1923 (The First Day)". (Challenger Publications)
Inside he includes a list of loco sheds and codes. He said that the list was in no way "official" from LNER or any of its constituents - but that similar codes had been used at various times.

The list is far too long to reproduce here, and many of the depots had very few locos, so were probably little more than sub-sheds.

So, just a few examples.
Ex- GCR:
GOR = Gorton
STP = Stockport (presumably Heaton Mersey, probably shared with Midland Railway)
TFD = Trafford Park (ditto)

ex - GER
PBE = Peterborough East
PKS = Parkeston

ex-GNR
CLK = Colwick (Nottingham)
NWE = New England (Peterborough)

ex-NBR
DFU = Dunfermline
STM = St. Margarets (Edinburgh)

To me, however, the most interesting feature was the number of different loco classes allocated to some depots.

For example, Eastfield (Glasgow) had 181 locos of 27 different classes;
St. Margarents had 218 locos of 29 different classes.

Stratford had 555 locos of 22 different classes.
Kings Cross was relatively small with only 152 locos of 19 different classes.

The largest sheds were:
GCR: Gorton (178) then Mexborough (170)
GER: Stratford (555) then Cambridge (178)
GNR: Colwick (231) then Doncaster (189)
NBR: St. Margarets then Eastfield (see above)
NER: Hull Dairycotes (146) then Heaton (Newcastle) (130)
GNSR : Kittybrewster (89) was the only large shed.

Beebman

I've found the full 1935 list of LMS shed codes (starting from 1A Willesden and ending with 29K Forres) - it's too long to list here but it can be found on pages 13 & 14 of the Jan 1935 edition of RO (vol.7, no.71) - the link below should open the PDF of the issue provided the free user registration on the RCTS site has been completed:

https://archive.rcts.org.uk/pdf-viewer.php?pdf=RO-0071

The Crab

I've found the full 1935 list of LMS shed codes (starting from 1A Willesden and ending with 29K Forres) - it's too long to list here but it can be found on pages 13 & 14 of the Jan 1935 edition of RO (vol.7, no.71) - the link below should open the PDF of the issue provided the free user registration on the RCTS site has been completed:

https://archive.rcts.org.uk/pdf-viewer.php?pdf=RO-0071
Right at the end of steam at Colwick they used to paint "COLK" on the smoke box door rather than use the shedcode (let alone a shedplate). I thought it looked terrible!