• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield <> Bristol Temple Meads/Parkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricoblade

Hi All - I need to go to Bristol tomorrow (Tuesday) from Sheffield.

I'm staying in the centre of Bristol overnight then am at an event near Filton Abbey Wood on the Wednesday so will get a train there in the morning.

I then want to return from Bristol Parkway in the afternoon, will a Sheffield<> Bristol Temple Meads ticket allow me to start short at Parkway please?

**Edit ** Further to this I can't get a reservation on the return journey and get the message "Rtn: Sit in any vacant unreserved seat except first class". Is it likely that I'll get a seat?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
If you mean an anytime, off-peak or super off-peak return ticket, then, yes, you can start from Bristol Parkway on the way back. You can also use the ticket from Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood to start with earlier in the day, if the time you're travelling is within the restrictions of the ticket, but it might not be valid before 09:30 (note that both 7E and CI point to 2V which has this restriction if you're using the "via London" ticket), in which case if you buy a single ticket Bristol-Filton for this leg only that'll be fine too.

**Edit ** Further to this I can't get a reservation on the return journey and get the message "Rtn: Sit in any vacant unreserved seat except first class". Is it likely that I'll get a seat?

Thanks.
I can't answer your question, but personally I would travel via London because the trains are nicer, less likely to be overcrowded, and don't stop at too many intermediate stations. There is a 'via London" ticket which includes cross-London transfer but it might be quite a lot more expensive if this matters.

Last edited:

mangyiscute

Established Member
I can't answer your question, but personally I would travel via London because the trains are nicer, less likely to be overcrowded, and don't stop at too many intermediate stations. There is a 'via London" ticket which includes cross-London transfer but it might be quite a lot more expensive if this matters.
Although considering that it is at least 1h30 longer via london from what i can see, i expect the direct train would be better - on the cross country route you get some 4/5 coaches and some 8/9 coaches, so I would say it depends on if you get a long train or not - if you do, I would expect you to at least find a seat (although maybe next to someone) but if it's a short one then you may have to stand - do you know what time train you'd expect to get from parkway?

ricoblade

Although considering that it is at least 1h30 longer via london from what i can see, i expect the direct train would be better - on the cross country route you get some 4/5 coaches and some 8/9 coaches, so I would say it depends on if you get a long train or not - if you do, I would expect you to at least find a seat (although maybe next to someone) but if it's a short one then you may have to stand - do you know what time train you'd expect to get from parkway?
Should be on the 15:44.

mangyiscute

Established Member
Should be on the 15:44.
That one has come from plymouth so its had time to fill up unfortunately, but i think its pathed as an hst which is 6 standard class and 1 first class coach from what i recall (and if you speak to most people way nicer to ride on than a voyager), but I'm not sure how busy it usually is

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Try XC’s reservation by text message service.

It’s possible you’ll get a specific seat reservation on the day even if only counted places were previously available. Although if no specific seats are available to reserve, try and be first onto the train as some seats should free up in Bristol.

If you haven’t bought a ticket yet, see if Trainsplit can save you money against purchasing a through ticket.

May also be worth seeing if any cheap 1st class upgrades are available on Seatfrog - there can be some fierce bidding but they have occasionally gone for £5. That would also allocate you a specific seat in 1st class.

ricoblade

Thanks for all the replies.

I tried SeatFrog on the way out but it got beyond what I was prepared to pay and the return journey never was available.

In the end I was early at Bristol Parkway (what a bleak place in the rain!) so got the earlier Bristol-Birmingham service that was empty. I then boarded my original service at Birmingham. It turned up as a 4 car set so trying to get on first was not an option! The rear coach F was unreserved so it was a free for all but I managed to get the last seat after asking someone to move all their stuff off the seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.