• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield Supertram & Tram Train news

zwk500

Veteran Member
Maybe because Metro has something similar to conventional railway signalling, and presumably there's a train describer to interface to that looks similar to the ones on Network Rail. Sheffield is a tramway and doesn't have block sections or train describer berths in the conventional sense. I think there's something that keeps track of where a tram is between the transponder loops that are provided at various places, but there can be more than one tram between each pair of loops so it's probably not straighforward to make this look like a traditional train describer. Also it's probably been in use for the 30 years since Supertram opened, and there may no longer be anyone around who understands how it works.
The lack of a train describer would not be an impediment to showing the tram line to Midland in the NR Planning systems. After all, it shows the Supertram network as far as Cathedral.
Metro on the Durham Coast, the industry systems have every possible terminating point on them including those without booked workings such as St James.
This may be down to how Metro trains were planned to be shown in the system. It's also possible that Metro was added at a time when NR had people willing to put in a bit more detail than strictly needed. It's noticeable that the Manchester Metrolink connections are generally not shown beyond the NR/Metrolink ownership boundaries in TPS.
And I think this might also apply for the Bakerloo line too.
I'm fairly sure the Bakerloo line isn't shown south of Queen's Park in NR planning systems. North of Queen's Park is shown in full because it's shared with the DC Line.
So not sure why it’s missing for Sheffield.
I suspect NR were asked to put in sufficient infrastructure to show the intended service pattern, and nobody considered/asked/had the time to put in other locations. Drawing the infrastructure in the planning system, especially in a tight area like Sheffield, can be very fiddly. If trams are only going to terminate at Midland once in a blue moon, NR may well ask what is the point in allocating the resources to input somebody else's network. I think they should have included Midland when they drew it, but I can see why they didn't.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
This may be down to how Metro trains were planned to be shown in the system. It's also possible that Metro was added at a time when NR had people willing to put in a bit more detail than strictly needed. It's noticeable that the Manchester Metrolink connections are generally not shown beyond the NR/Metrolink ownership boundaries in TPS.
Not all locations on Metro are shown, not even all intermediates on the booked route to Newcastle Airport, just locations where they may terminate if required, and Pelaw. All intermediates between Rotherham and Cathedral on the Supertram network are inputted.

I'm fairly sure the Bakerloo line isn't shown south of Queen's Park in NR planning systems. North of Queen's Park is shown in full because it's shared with the DC Line.

I suspect NR were asked to put in sufficient infrastructure to show the intended service pattern, and nobody considered/asked/had the time to put in other locations. Drawing the infrastructure in the planning system, especially in a tight area like Sheffield, can be very fiddly. If trams are only going to terminate at Midland once in a blue moon, NR may well ask what is the point in allocating the resources to input somebody else's network. I think they should have included Midland when they drew it, but I can see why they didn't.
I’ve just checked for the Bakerloo line and found three locations inputted south of Queen’s Park, those are Elephant & Castle, Waterloo and London Road Depot.
There’s a surprising number of TFL locations inputted including locations where the chances of anything ever running through from the national network are precisely zero, including on the Northern line and even a couple on the DLR!

So it does still seem a bit odd that they can have all of that but not the tram stop at Sheffield Midland.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Not all locations on Metro are shown, not even all intermediates on the booked route to Newcastle Airport, just locations where they may terminate if required, and Pelaw. All intermediates between Rotherham and Cathedral on the Supertram network are inputted.

I’ve just checked for the Bakerloo line and found three locations inputted south of Queen’s Park, those are Elephant & Castle, Waterloo and London Road Depot.
There’s a surprising number of TFL locations inputted including locations where the chances of anything ever running through from the national network are precisely zero, including on the Northern line and even a couple on the DLR!

So it does still seem a bit odd that they can have all of that but not the tram stop at Sheffield Midland.
Just for clarity, which systems are you checking?

DanNCL

Established Member
Just for clarity, which systems are you checking?
I should probably clarify, I don’t have internal access to any systems. But can check what locations are available for use in the WTT via publicly available websites. You’d be amazed what a quick search in the detailed mode of RTT brings up. All sorts of locations.

ALEMASTER

A recap of tram services for the rail replacement works that run from this Saturday, 25 May, until Sunday 2 June:

Tram Train. Normal timetable between Rotherham Parkgate and Hyde Park, diverting to Sheffield railway station and not serving Fitzalan Square, Castle Square or Cathedral.

Blue route: operating only between Malin Bridge and University of Sheffield, to a revised timetable. For Halfway see Green route.

Yellow route: operating only between Middlewood and University of Sheffield, to a revised timetable. For Meadowhall see Green route.

Purple route: operating Herdings Park to Sheffield railway station then diverting to Cricket Inn Road, not serving Fitzalan Square, Castle Square or Cathedral. Minor changes to the timetable.

Green route: temporary service operating between Halfway, Sheffield railway station, Hyde Park and Meadowhall. Times generally similar to the Yellow and Blue route services being replaced in these areas.

Bus TR1: Tram replacement bus operating in Sheffield City Centre at frequent intervals between Shrewsbury Road (near Granville Road and Sheffield Station Tram stops) and Glossop Road (for University of Sheffield tram stop).

More information including network map and PDF timetables https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-GB/supertram/25th-May-Supertram-rail-replacement

Supertram timetables on bustimes.org https://bustimes.org/operators/south-yorkhire-future-tram

Attachments

• DisruptionMapKey-V6-(Web).png
    DisruptionMapKey-V6-(Web).png
    213.4 KB · Views: 53

GardenRail

I emailed the mayor's office a bit ago, seeking an update on both Stocksbridge and The Old Road.

Thank you for your email about tram extensions and rail in Stocksbridge.

We are working with the Department for Transport (DfT) and Network Rail on developing options for re-introducing passenger services on the Stocksbridge Line as part of the Government’s Restoring Your Railways programme. This includes options for heavy rail and tram-train.

The DfT are developing an Outline Business Case which should be completed by the end of the year and Ministers will then decide whether to take this proposal forward to Full Business case.

DfT are also developing a similar Outline Business Case for passenger services on the ‘Old Road’ between Sheffield and Chesterfield. If the business case gets approved and funded then we could see services running on the line by 2029

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Kind regards,

Clare Monaghan
Executive Director, Policy and Strategic Development

Office of Oliver Coppard
South Yorkshire's Mayor

Iskra

Established Member
I emailed the mayor's office a bit ago, seeking an update on both Stocksbridge and The Old Road.

Thank you for your email about tram extensions and rail in Stocksbridge.

We are working with the Department for Transport (DfT) and Network Rail on developing options for re-introducing passenger services on the Stocksbridge Line as part of the Government’s Restoring Your Railways programme. This includes options for heavy rail and tram-train.

The DfT are developing an Outline Business Case which should be completed by the end of the year and Ministers will then decide whether to take this proposal forward to Full Business case.

DfT are also developing a similar Outline Business Case for passenger services on the ‘Old Road’ between Sheffield and Chesterfield. If the business case gets approved and funded then we could see services running on the line by 2029

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Kind regards,

Clare Monaghan
Executive Director, Policy and Strategic Development

Office of Oliver Coppard
South Yorkshire's Mayor
Thanks for sharing :)

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Couple more photos of diverted TT services today.
Round the third side of the triangle:
IMG_7425.jpeg

Arrived at Sheffield station tram stop, return destination already set up:
IMG_7427.jpeg

Crossing over to platform C (not the one directly outside the rail station entrance) to pick up outbound passengers:
IMG_7431.jpeg

And into the platform:
IMG_7432.jpeg

The inbound TT had "Station" on the front display as well as a printed A4 sheet with "Station" in the windscreen.
The on board announcements couldn't cope – "This is the tram-train service to [silence]".
And the on board scrolling display had "This is the tram-train service bound for The next stop will be [e.g. Attercliffe]".

syorksdeano

Chaos at the moment as a tram has broken down on Langset Road. Don't think they have access to/from the depot at the moment

ALEMASTER

If it's a complete failure it'll have to be stabled at University until the line reopens and it can return to depot on 3 June, however if it's something minor the rolling stock maintenance crew should be able to take their van to it and fix it on site.

py_megapixel

Established Member
If it's a complete failure it'll have to be stabled at University until the line reopens and it can return to depot on 3 June, however if it's something minor the rolling stock maintenance crew should be able to take their van to it and fix it on site.
Don't they need both lines available at University to be able to turn back enough trams for both the blue and yellow service?

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Follow-up pics to earlier this week
Looking the opposite way at a tram on the triangle, with high-tech protection in place:
IMG_7446.jpeg

And the high-tech sheet of paper in the windscreen saying Sheffield Station (to be fair, it also says Station in the display above)
IMG_7465.jpeg

Iskra

Established Member
Probably not worth it's own thread, or irritating a mod by asking for a thread unlock, but according to the latest Brancline News, a Serco Test Train ran up the Deepcar/ Stocksbridge Branch on April 12th, which is the first use in just over 12 months. That seems positive news in terms of the line possibly having a future.

ALEMASTER

Did work on the Magna Station ever start, I believe they were aiming for completion end of this year.
Work was due to start in July with the station ready for the December timetable change, however I believe this has been delayed by the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority as they weren't happy with the level of disruption to service the proposed possessions will cause and are challenging Network Rail.

in other news...

Engineering work is taking place this weekend on the Blue route between Hillsborough and Malin Bridge with trams diverted to Middlewood.

Last edited: