• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield to Ilkley, then back from Saltaire to Sheffield on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Hi. I have a Senior Railcard, and also a South Yorkshire Travelmaster Plus weekly ticket. I wonder what the cheapest way of doing this journey is. Things that are confusing me are many, and I honestly think the best thing is to ask you experts for advice about the cheapest journey, rather than try and speculate myself. Thanks, John.

Edit: I don’t know if it helps, but I would be leaving about nine in the morning and coming back about five in the afternoon. I know there may be Northern advance journeys available, but I wonder if a cheapish journey is available without obliging myself to these, especially on the way back - depends how boggy Ilkley Moor is.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
By South Yorkshire Travelmaster Plus do you mean SY Connect+ valid on all trains (and buses/trams) in S Yorks ? If so, I can't think of a cheaper way than a day return from either Moorthorpe or Darton to Ilkley @£5.45 and a Saltaire - Shipley single £1.80. This would of course limit you to trains via whichever of Moorthorpe/Darton you chose.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Just remember that SY Connect Plus is a zonal rover ticket with odd terms and conditions that say that your train MUST stop at Darton, Moorthorpe or South Elmsall if used in combination with another ticket when travelling into West Yorkshire.

There is something called a West Yorkshire Concessionary DaySaver Train ticket (£4.30), available to “seniors” that could be used for the WY part of the journey, but it is not quite clear how they define senior (WY ENCTS pass holders? any ENCTS pass holders?) or if you are of the right age to qualify.

Veteran Member
There is something called a West Yorkshire Concessionary DaySaver Train ticket (£4.30), available to “seniors” that could be used for the WY part of the journey, but it is not quite clear how they define senior (WY ENCTS pass holders? any ENCTS pass holders?) or if you are of the right age to qualify.
It says "any other authority" - so any ENCTS pass - but you have still got the problem of crossing the boundary SY/WY.
Corrected - see later posts.

BTW, assuming you come into Saltaire from the Shipley Glen side, you could just walk along the canal to Shipley.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'd say the South Yorkshire ticket together with a West Yorkshire concessionary train DaySaver (nee DayRover). The SY ticket limits you to the stoppers anyway, but the SY+WY combination gives you the choice of the Moorthorpe stopper and the Darton stopper (or indeed South Elmsall via Doncaster if you really wish).

The WY ticket can only be bought from ticket offices.

Barnsley

Ive just looked at this on my Star terminal in the booking office, the only option to issue a WY Concession Daysaver is with either a WYS (West Yorkshire Senior) WYD (Disabled) or WMS (Student) ENCTS Cards

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Ive just looked at this on my Star terminal in the booking office, the only option to issue a WY Concession Daysaver is with either a WYS (West Yorkshire Senior) WYD (Disabled) or WMS (Student) ENCTS Cards
It's hidden in the terms of the West Yorkshire ENTCS cards, but...

ENCS passes issued by West Yorkshire Combined Authority also entitle the pass holder to a concessionary fare on local rail services on the same days and times as bus travel. If you are travelling by train during the evening peak - 16:01 to 18:29 - you will need to buy an Anytime Day Single or Anytime Day Return ticket.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Interesting, as separate to the ENCTS conditions quoted by @Deerfold the MCard (even paper tickets are apparently now branded MCard) conditions simply say:

Other Concessionary travellers (Senior, Disabled or MetroRover PhotoCard holders) must be able to prove entitlement to a concessionary ticket by being in possession of a valid entitlement PhotoCard issued by MCard or any other suitable authority charged with the issuance of travel entitlement passes.

If the ticket isn't available to non-WY residents then the options would be a Darton to Ilkley or Moorthorpe to Ilkley, noting this restricts the OP to the same route on return. Plus a single from Saltaire to Shipley if the OP doesn't fancy the walk.

Or the non-concessionary Train Only DaySaver at £8.30, which would give flexibility on the return, although this is not valid before 9.30am and between 4pm and 6.30pm on weekdays.

Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
Thanks for your replies. I will have to study the timetables in more detail. Of course an elephant in the room is the likelihood of the stopper via Darton being cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.