• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield to Stalybridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Just a quick one. Would an off peak any permitted day return be valid via Penistone and Huddersfield, rather than just changing at Manchester?

Thanks, John

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisC

Established Member
Just a quick one. Would an off peak any permitted day return be valid via Penistone and Huddersfield, rather than just changing at Manchester?

Thanks, John
Don’t know if it’s any help but I think it is valid from Chapeltown via both routes.

johnnychips

Established Member
Don’t know if it’s any help but I think it is valid from Chapeltown via both routes.
I wondered if there would be something like that. Unfortunately, as I’m off work, I haven’t renewed my Travelmaster for next week, which I could have used between Sheffield and Chapeltown. Thanks for the suggestion.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A ticket from Mossley would be valid both ways (including over the slightly ludicrous number of permitted routes from Huddersfield to Sheffield), although if you are travelling from Stalybridge, using a ticket from Mossley would be more complex and would essentially require you to buy an additional ticket from Stalybridge to Mossley and then to use a train that stops at Mossley.

The permitted routes in this area were subject to 'rationalisation' some years ago, with some rather unintended side effects. For example Stalybridge to Sheffield is only valid via Manchester, yet Stalybridge to Doncaster is only valid via Huddersfield. And an easement is required every time Manchester-Cleethorpes services are diverted via Huddersfield, as there are no mapped routes from Sheffield, Doncaster or beyond to Manchester via Huddersfield.

Clearly the Any Permitted fare, priced by Northern, from stations in the Stalybridge area to Sheffield is intended to be used via Huddersfield and Penistone, but the above rationalisation has stopped this from being the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.