• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shops & other venues that still insist on masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Even if you intensely dislike the things yourself many others thought they were important at the time and so transport staff, shop staff, police or whoever had this to bear in mind when responsible for the journey/experience of their customers and passengers.
Many retailers, while peddling the message that customers were required to wear masks, made it clear that it was not their job to enforce the law in this area.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip

On Moderation
I can't speak for people who are not intelligent enough to realise that wearing a face covering makes no difference to their chances of being infected. Ultimately that's their problem but I don't think it should become mine by the imposition of enforced mask wearing.

And there are lots of people who are made to feel uneasy by the sight of people wearing masks - its horrible and dystopian and of course completely pointless.

The majority of people didn't associate masks with dystopia, nor that they were completely pointless; most of us at the time thought they were a bit of a nuisance but a measure that would protect others to some degree.

Last edited:

Dent

The majority of people didn't associate masks with dystopia, nor that they were completely pointless; most of us at the time thought they were a bit of a nuisance but a measure that would protect others to some degree.

On what authority are you speaking on behalf or the majority of people?

trebor79

Established Member
Some might see it as 'mask-bullying', but before vaccines arrived many people were understandably worried about getting the virus and regardless of how well or not masks prevented others from infection, they were seen as a protective measure to some degree by the majority of people.
I don't think this is true at all. If "most people" thought they were protective why did hardly anybody wear them outside of the periods they were mandated?
I think most people thought they were a bit if a nuisance but wore them to keep the peace and avoid confrontation. A few of us decided not to play along with the charade and just said "Exempt" on the few occasions anyone in authority challenged. On only one occasion was I challenged by a member of the public and she was politely but forcefully told to mind her own business.

bramling

Veteran Member
Some might see it as 'mask-bullying', but before vaccines arrived many people were understandably worried about getting the virus and regardless of how well or not masks prevented others from infection, they were seen as a protective measure to some degree by the majority of people.

Someone who joined a train without wearing a mask 2 years ago would've made others feel uneasy and so you could argue it was an unwritten responsibility of railway staff or whoever else to insist people complied with the rules at the time for this reason alone. And of course it made a lot of people angry seeing someone or a group of people not following the rules if they didn't have an exemption, because at the time it was a national effort against the virus.

I found it uneasy 2 years ago when the train arrived at Finsbury Park and gangs of youths joined all wearing masks which were extremely effective in covering their faces, particularly when said youths were making their way up and down the train checking people out. This was a pretty routine occurrence at times during summer 2020. The normalisation of covered faces has been wonderful for people with criminal intent, and indeed continues to be so.

Russel

Reading through this thread has reminded me of something I experienced in January, my son goes to swimming lessons at a local high school, they have never enforced any distancing restrictions or mask mandates until about 3 days before the Omicron mask mandate was revoked, the woman that runs the swimming lessons greeted everyone at the door dishing masks out, demanded they be worn, I stated I'm exempt, the response was a very displeased "okay, in you go".

If the restrictions had been enforced throughout, I would have probably gone along with it and put the mask on, but to start a 3 days before the mandate was due to be dropped...

jumble

Wow. Just read that Emirates website. Apparently they think it's still March 2020 as they've removed newspapers and magazines, FGS. Also recommend wearing gloves! And mask mask mask all the time.
Needless to say I shall not be flying with Emirates. Pity, they used to be good.
I am going to take the unpopular view that Emirates are entitled and very probably correct to be doing this
The reason is that all an airline cares about is revenue and companies like Emirates have very smart people running revenue management
These RevMan people are likely to have looked at their most profitable demographic and concluded that these customers who want to fly on aircraft on which the great unwashed are masked
Emirates are not a commodity business
My own experiences are that the very rich are the most paranoid and especially if they are in the demographic with more risk of suffering from Covid
This combined with very busy flights might well mean that Emirates would be throwing away money if they did not cater to the wishes of their High Net Worth customers

The same logic applies to British Airways First Class
If you fly first to USA from T5 you have very fast check in and the Concorde lounge
However you are put onto the bus going to the remote stand if that is where your aircraft is and are treated like cattle like every one else .
Why do BA not supply a limousine for the first class passengers?
Because RevMan have calculated it is not worth it.

trebor79

Established Member
I am going to take the unpopular view that Emirates are entitled and very probably correct to be doing this
The reason is that all an airline cares about is revenue and companies like Emirates have very smart people running revenue management
These RevMan people are likely to have looked at their most profitable demographic and concluded that these customers who want to fly on aircraft on which the great unwashed are masked
My own experiences are that the very rich are the most paranoid and especially if they are in the demographic with more risk of suffering from Covid
This combined with very busy flights might well mean that Emirates would be throwing away money if they did not cater to the wishes of their High Net Worth customers

If you fly first to USA from T5 you have very fast check in and the Concorde lounge
However you are put onto the bus going to the remote stand if that is where your aircraft is and are treated like cattle like every one else .
The masks is one thing. The gloves and removing paper newspapers etc is totally ludicrous and akin to the sort of panic reactions that took place in March 2020 when people thought COVID was passed on by eg touching a newspaper that someone else had touched. It isn't. Masks are very very low efficacy, and not needed in any case in a population with high immunity from vaccination and previous infection. The other measures are zero efficacy.

VauxhallandI

Established Member

I better not be on a bloody bus!

Butts

Veteran Member
The masks is one thing. The gloves and removing paper newspapers etc is totally ludicrous and akin to the sort of panic reactions that took place in March 2020 when people thought COVID was passed on by eg touching a newspaper that someone else had touched. It isn't. Masks are very very low efficacy, and not needed in any case in a population with high immunity from vaccination and previous infection. The other measures are zero efficacy.

At least they brought them back ? - That is the inference here.

Have not seen sight of a Newspaper in BA Lounges or Onboard for literally years, the tightwads never reinstated them post-pandemic. :(

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I don't think this is true at all. If "most people" thought they were protective why did hardly anybody wear them outside of the periods they were mandated?
Indeed, that is just revealed preferences at work. Almost nobody is wearing a mask now outside of any setting where it is mandated. They are an uncomfortable nuisance and not effective as a public health measure against coronavirus.

trebor79

Established Member
At least they brought them back ? - That is the inference here.
No, newspapers and magazines still gone from the first class lounge according to Emirates and "we will be wearing our masks" at every opportunity. PAthetic.

trebor79

Established Member
Anyone in Cornwall at the moment? Going there on holiday in a couple of weeks. Last year it was very similar to 2020, lots of COVID this that and the other. Some restaurants insisting on the "wear a mask whilst walking to the table" charade. Beach cafe and open air ferry at Fowey insisting on masks (even thought the cafe staff were *unmasked* they were quite insistent but did accept "I'm exempt" - the ferry folk were "mask or get off"). There was a shop in the town we were staying with huge "No mask no service" posters in the windows.
I'm hoping most if not all of this rubbish has disappeared this year...

trainophile

Established Member
I was wondering what the situation is now with the Starcross ferry in Devon, that I remember from @yorkie 's posts last year were being bloody minded and didn't even allow exemptions. All the more ridiculous when people on board are in the open air anyway.

duncanp

Established Member
And, like Ireland, the messaging is now that masks should be used to prevent the spread of COVID-19 "and other respiratory infections"

This is precisely what we all MUST fight against.

The imposition of COVID style restrictions for diseases other than COVID.

In the words of Mrs Thatcher - "...NO, NO, NO!!"

danm14

I was wondering what the situation is now with the Starcross ferry in Devon, that I remember from @yorkie 's posts last year were being bloody minded and didn't even allow exemptions. All the more ridiculous when people on board are in the open air anyway.
I seem to remember that they backed down on that within (literally) one day of attempting to keep them mandatory after the legal requirement was dropped.

12C

Anyone in Cornwall at the moment? Going there on holiday in a couple of weeks. Last year it was very similar to 2020, lots of COVID this that and the other. Some restaurants insisting on the "wear a mask whilst walking to the table" charade. Beach cafe and open air ferry at Fowey insisting on masks (even thought the cafe staff were *unmasked* they were quite insistent but did accept "I'm exempt" - the ferry folk were "mask or get off"). There was a shop in the town we were staying with huge "No mask no service" posters in the windows.
I'm hoping most if not all of this rubbish has disappeared this year...
We’re on holiday in Cornwall at the moment, pleased to report barely a mask to be seen anywhere. I haven’t seen any businesses making any reference to them, very much back to normal thankfully.

Jimini

Established Member
When I went to Cornwall (Newquay) last week for work, the first thing you see when you get off the train is a massive banner that says something along the lines of "we've reopened now but you'd best behave yourselves, wear masks and stay the hell away from each other etc. etc.

Tracked

Established Member
Went to the dentist earlier this week, they've still got the mask signs up on the door but no-one was bothering, I think it might be a bit of "we can't be bothered to take them down". They'd moved most of the chairs from the waiting room last year and spread the remaining ones out, which was still the case this time.

MikeWM

Established Member
One of the most mask-insistent shops in the UK, 'Any amount of books' on Charing Cross Road in London, has finally taken down all their mask signage, and there were a number of people in there unmasked today.

This is the place that for a very long time had an (illegal) sign that said 'no exceptions, no exemptions'... So if they've finally given up on the silly things, that seems a pretty good positive indicator.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If people thought masks protected people, why has hardly anyone been wearing them in recent weeks where case rates have been really high?

It's often erroneously claimed by pro-maskers that people want to wear masks, and use this as justification for mask mandates. However when masks are optional, mask wearing plummets. Right now infections are really high (albeit down from the peak of a few weeks ago) and yet hardly anyone wears masks. That suggests to me that most people know that masks do not protect others.

When I went to Cornwall (Newquay) last week for work, the first thing you see when you get off the train is a massive banner that says something along the lines of "we've reopened now but you'd best behave yourselves, wear masks and stay the hell away from each other etc. etc.
Some people are not very intelligent; when such people have been subject to fear-mongering on a mas scale they may behave in bizarre ways. This is an example of such irrationality.

Anyway they can huff and puff all they like; the attempts to make masks the norm in this country have well and truly failed.

Philip

On Moderation
If people thought masks protected people, why has hardly anyone been wearing them in recent weeks where case rates have been really high?

It's often erroneously claimed by pro-maskers that people want to wear masks, and use this as justification for mask mandates. However when masks are optional, mask wearing plummets. Right now infections are really high (albeit down from the peak of a few weeks ago) and yet hardly anyone wears masks. That suggests to me that most people know that masks do not protect others.

A big proportion of the population here thought that masks helped protect others and to a lesser extent themselves before vaccines arrived, whether you like it or not. I agree that they are pointless now that we have vaccines (and so do the majority of people), but before we had vaccines a lot of people wore them not just because it was the law but because they thought they thought they offered some protection to at least a small extent. And you have no evidence to say that they were 100% (or 99%) ineffective in helping to reduce severe illness from the virus.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A big proportion of the population here thought that masks helped protect others and to a lesser extent themselves before vaccines arrived, whether you like it or not. I agree that they are pointless now that we have vaccines (and so do the majority of people), but before we had vaccines a lot of people wore them not just because it was the law but because they thought they thought they offered some protection to at least a small extent.
I'm not convinced; people only really wore masks (apart from a tiny proportion) once they were mandated. There were weeks and even months of pro-maskers desperately trying to get people to wear masks before then.

Once masks became mandated the pro-maskers had an almost complete monopoly on the media for quite some time, and there was a huge effort by pro-maskers to discredit anyone who doubted them. Despite this, once masks ceased to be mandated, their use rapidly declined.

And now the penny has dropped for the vast majority who were hoodwinked.

And you have no evidence to say that they were 100% (or 99%) ineffective in helping to reduce severe illness from the virus.
You have no real world evidence to suggest that flimsy, loose fitting masks are effective. It's just a theory.

Eyersey468

Established Member
A big proportion of the population here thought that masks helped protect others and to a lesser extent themselves before vaccines arrived, whether you like it or not. I agree that they are pointless now that we have vaccines (and so do the majority of people), but before we had vaccines a lot of people wore them not just because it was the law but because they thought they thought they offered some protection to at least a small extent. And you have no evidence to say that they were 100% (or 99%) ineffective in helping to reduce severe illness from the virus.
May I ask then if any mask has even some effect then why did case rates rise after they were mandated and fall after the mandate stopped?

Philip

On Moderation
May I ask then if any mask has even some effect then why did case rates rise after they were mandated and fall after the mandate stopped?

Masks were mandated in June on public transport and then July in shops and other public venues which also coincided with the lifting of lockdown restrictions, reopening of pubs/hospitality and a Summer/Autumn period where a lot of people wanted to go out and socialise with others after the tough Spring lockdown. So of course cases were bound to go up as a result.

Besides the question is not whether their use prevented transmission and cases, it is whether they prevented a person from getting the same amount of viral load from an infected person wearing a mask compared with an infected person not wearing a mask (and thus potentially reducing the likelihood of severe illness).

Status
Not open for further replies.