• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Short notice engineering work - EMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Looking for some advice. I bought some advances for the 5:36 Sheffield to London international CIV tickets from the ticket office a few weeks back, as cannot be bought online. They were advances.

Those trains are now all removed, terminating Luton. What options do I have? Do they need to go and get a refund and get new tickets? The bus to Hitchin from Luton and down to kings cross will mean missing the Eurostar I imagine. Can they travel via Doncaster? Or will that need new tickets?

These tickets are for friends as I am going from Leeds and LNER still running as normal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

miklcct

On Moderation
Can he get an earlier departure to catch the Eurostar, or alternatively, change his Eurostar ticket to be on a later departure?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Looking for some advice. I bought some advances for the 5:36 Sheffield to London international CIV tickets from the ticket office a few weeks back, as cannot be bought online. They were advances.

Those trains are now all removed, terminating Luton. What options do I have? Do they need to go and get a refund and get new tickets? The bus to Hitchin from Luton and down to kings cross will mean missing the Eurostar I imagine. Can they travel via Doncaster? Or will that need new tickets?

These tickets are for friends as I am going from Leeds and LNER still running as normal.
I can't find a 05:36 service from Sheffield towards London. But if we take the 05:30 on 3 December as an example, this would ordinarily be due into St Pancras at 07:36; due to the engineering works, if you take this and change at Luton and Hitchin you would arrive at St Pancras at 08:59 - a delay of over an hour. A similar delay arises on other dates.

Accordingly your friends can choose between the following rights under Article 16 of the Passenger Rights and Obligations Regulation (PRO):
  • Claim a full refund
  • Change the journey to another date of their convenience
  • Be re-routed at the earliest opportunity
They could also choose to continue with their tickets as they stand, travelling via Luton and Hitchin, and claim compensation for the delay under the NRCoT and/or Article 17 of the PRO. However, it's likely that any such claim would be (wrongly) denied and require appealing and potentially arguing over; given the likely small amount of compensation at stake, it's going to be less than the cost of rebooking (or missing) the Eurostar!

Clearly, the only worthwhile option is either to obtain a refund or to go for re-routing. There won't be much difficulty getting a refund, but that could still leave your friends out of pocket if tickets via Doncaster are more expensive. Thus I would suggest going for re-routing and hence you (or your friends) should contact EMR to ask them to arrange this.

Again they may refuse, but there's more at stake here than with a refund (the cost of tickets for rebooking via Doncaster) so it's more worthwhile pursuing.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I can't find a 05:36 service from Sheffield towards London. But if we take the 05:30 on 3 December as an example, this would ordinarily be due into St Pancras at 07:36; due to the engineering works, if you take this and change at Luton and Hitchin you would arrive at St Pancras at 08:59 - a delay of over an hour. A similar delay arises on other dates.

Accordingly your friends can choose between the following rights under Article 16 of the Passenger Rights and Obligations Regulation (PRO):
  • Claim a full refund
  • Change the journey to another date of their convenience
  • Be re-routed at the earliest opportunity
They could also choose to continue with their tickets as they stand, travelling via Luton and Hitchin, and claim compensation for the delay under the NRCoT and/or Article 17 of the PRO. However, it's likely that any such claim would be (wrongly) denied and require appealing and potentially arguing over; given the likely small amount of compensation at stake, it's going to be less than the cost of rebooking (or missing) the Eurostar!

Clearly, the only worthwhile option is either to obtain a refund or to go for re-routing. There won't be much difficulty getting a refund, but that could still leave your friends out of pocket if tickets via Doncaster are more expensive. Thus I would suggest going for re-routing and hence you (or your friends) should contact EMR to ask them to arrange this.

Again they may refuse, but there's more at stake here than with a refund (the cost of tickets for rebooking via Doncaster) so it's more worthwhile pursuing.
Thank you for this.

Yes sorry 5:30 arriving 7:36 got my minutes between departure and arrival times.

Excellent, thank you for that advice. Advance fares still seem cheap so looks to be options various.

miklcct

On Moderation
As it's a CIV ticket, Eurostar will be obligated to accommodate without extra cost if the original Friday departure is missed, right?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
As it's a CIV ticket, Eurostar will be obligated to accommodate without extra cost if the original Friday departure is missed, right?
Not sure it would work like that as timetable has changed. They have decided to exchange it for a Doncaster taxi and split a taxi and meet us on our Leeds train.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What date are these for? If tomorrow, the ECML is closed with bus substitution between Grantham and Peterborough, at least for part of the day.
It won't be tomorrow - though the MML has some really good first and last trains, that doesn't quite stretch to 05:36 trains on Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.