• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shortest UK car number plate you've seen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

uglymonkey

Years ago in Exeter, I remember the mayor's car was "FJ1" - which was the first plate issued in Exeter at one point.

Several years ago I saw A2 on the A2. I can’t remember what make of car it was but it wasn’t anything special.

D1537

When I was a kid, my neighbour used to own E3, it was on an Austin 1100.

These days it is on a 1973 E-Type Jag! I wonder if it stayed in the family.

The good old “plate worth more than the car” concept :lol:
I regularly see 20E ("ZOE"). It's on a mid-2010s Suzuki Swift.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
K9 on a Mercedes Vito in St Albans. This doesn’t show on the DVLA reg plate checker.

D1537

K9 on a Mercedes Vito in St Albans. This doesn’t show on the DVLA reg plate checker.
That's a fake plate. K9 doesn't exist. A number of people have one as show plates for dog shows (K9 ... canine ... geddit) and so on.

Taunton

Established Member
Several years ago I saw A2 on the A2. I can’t remember what make of car it was but it wasn’t anything special.
I've seen that in Central London (mentioned upthread). It was on a blue Bentley. Apparently it has now been off tax for some years.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Years ago in Exeter, I remember the mayor's car was "FJ1" - which was the first plate issued in Exeter at one point.
DK1 was the equivalent in Rochdale (mayor's car). Had a ride in it in 1975 when the plates were on an old Daimler limousine.

wilbers

BBC article about some indebted councils selling off assets. Anyone wealthy who has the initials F C?

The number plate of the Lord Mayor's car - FC 1 - could make even more at auction. At the moment it's thought to be worth ten times the Nissan electric car that it has been placed on.

Purple Train

Established Member
I went to the RA exhibition today, so saw quite a few! "1 HNT" is the only one I can remember - presumably an embassy vehicle, though I can't think which country it might be - but there were two weird ones on New Bond Street (also on large, black estate cars, for what it's worth, and not as an entourage) that were three numbers, then a letter, then three numbers. I wonder what they were?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That's a fake plate. K9 doesn't exist. A number of people have one as show plates for dog shows (K9 ... canine ... geddit) and so on.
Hmm. I did wonder. But it was definitely front and back, with no other plates on display. And driving on a main road within 200 metres of the district police station. And it wasn’t a dog grooming company van or anything, it was a tinted windows peolle mover/minibus. That’s quite a risk to take.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I cannot remember the last time I saw Plod in a traffic car, other than on the motorway. The risk is probably quite small.
Yes. I have started to wonder if there is more chance of being caught on an ANPR doing something not illegal but frowned upon (these new school areas with no-go times and fines but not obvious signs or road markings - so money making). With less chance of being caught with a fake/wrong number plate. Has the number plate become an over used weapon. Probably time for another thread.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I cannot remember the last time I saw Plod in a traffic car, other than on the motorway. The risk is probably quite small.

Where i saw this one, there are police vehicles with ANPR going past several times an hour.

D1537

Hmm. I did wonder. But it was definitely front and back, with no other plates on display. And driving on a main road within 200 metres of the district police station. And it wasn’t a dog grooming company van or anything, it was a tinted windows peolle mover/minibus. That’s quite a risk to take.

If it was in London or another city with emissions charges, there's a possibility it was being used to avoid those charges. But as you say, it is risky - it only needs a police car with ANPR enabled and it'll ping straight up on their system.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If it was in London or another city with emissions charges, there's a possibility it was being used to avoid those charges. But as you say, it is risky - it only needs a police car with ANPR enabled and it'll ping straight up on their system.

St Albans. On the main road through the centre of the City. I find it hard to beleive it was fake unless it was being used for some promitional purposes and also had trade plates that were evidently well hidden.

01d-and

Shortest one I've seen in person was (nothing) on Lambeth Bridge
AXW1 was seen on various cars for a number of years in my part of the world , a friend once asked the person who was driving it what the letters in the registration stood for. His reply was I have not got f[axw]ing clue . . . . . :s

D1537

St Albans. On the main road through the centre of the City. I find it hard to beleive it was fake unless it was being used for some promitional purposes and also had trade plates that were evidently well hidden.
On car forums it's well known as being a fake (and there have been sightings on more than one car). Of course, the vehicle would have actually been registered and insured under its real plate, and so - since K9 doesn't exist - it's not a cloning offence and you can only get a piddly fine for the dodgy plate.

SynthD

I saw a super car near Oxford Street yesterday, possibly a Ferrari, with one Arabic letter on its plate. It was, of course, moving fast and noisy when it wasn’t stuck at the lights.

Established Member
but there were two weird ones on New Bond Street (also on large, black estate cars, for what it's worth, and not as an entourage) that were three numbers, then a letter, then three numbers. I wonder what they were?
Those are diplomatic plates, the first 3 numbers denote the country or organisation the vehicle belongs to.