• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shotton - Epsom with Bicycle Reservation

parkender102

Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum - mods can you move if needed.

Travelling Shotton to Epsom later today with a full sized bicycle. Almost impossible to book with a cycle reservation (most of the route is AVANTI). I managed to book with a Cycle reservation on AVANTI via another route which means I need a lift to another station.

Then I see the dreaded words 'Rail Replacement' on Services to Epsom - so that stuffs putting the bike on the train! I assume the best bet would be London Victoria direct to Epsom Downs in just under an hour or a bit quicker via a change at Sutton? It's a 9 minute cycle from Epsom Downs to Epsom Centre, This route not affected by any rail works / rail replacement bus. Any better alternatives?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member
Another option is Chessington, though it is a bit further to cycle and North looks better than South on a map.

Trains from Waterloo take 34 minutes, quite a lot quicker than Victoria to Epsom Downs.

parkender102

Chessington North looks like a good option - 31 min + 20 min cycle v 1 Hour + 9 minute cycle. Regularly used to cycle every week Euston - Waterloo so it should be indelibly etched into my brain whereas I've never cycled Euston - Victoria. Also noticed it's 14 mins Euston by cycle to Waterloo whereas it's 28 mins to Victoria.

Last edited:

parkender102

Rail Replacement Bus from Victoria and Waterloo. Trains running Victoria to Epsom Downs and Waterloo to Chesington North and South which are close. I can cycle the last bit to Epsom.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum - mods can you move if needed.

Travelling Shotton to Epsom later today with a full sized bicycle. Almost impossible to book with a cycle reservation (most of the route is AVANTI). I managed to book with a Cycle reservation on AVANTI via another route which means I need a lift to another station.

Then I see the dreaded words 'Rail Replacement' on Services to Epsom - so that stuffs putting the bike on the train! I assume the best bet would be London Victoria direct to Epsom Downs in just under an hour or a bit quicker via a change at Sutton? It's a 9 minute cycle from Epsom Downs to Epsom Centre, This route not affected by any rail works / rail replacement bus. Any better alternatives?

Probably a bit late for you now since I guess you made your journey yesterday, but for future reference: If you are willing to change trains and have a slower journey, you can get from Shotton to Chester then Chester to Crewe on TfW, then Crewe to London on LNWR, without requiring any cycle reservations. The fare will likely be a lot cheaper too if you split tickets at Crewe and use an LNWR-only ticket to London.

If it was me and there was nothing stopping me, I'd be tempted to cycle Shotton to Chester. It's only about 6 miles, is almost completely flat, and I believe has reasonable cycle-friendly routes.

parkender102

Probably a bit late for you now since I guess you made your journey yesterday, but for future reference: If you are willing to change trains and have a slower journey, you can get from Shotton to Chester then Chester to Crewe on TfW, then Crewe to London on LNWR, without requiring any cycle reservations. The fare will likely be a lot cheaper too if you split tickets at Crewe and use an LNWR-only ticket to London.

If it was me and there was nothing stopping me, I'd be tempted to cycle Shotton to Chester. It's only about 6 miles, is almost completely flat, and I believe has reasonable cycle-friendly routes.
Well all went well in the end - got train Chester - London Euston (AVANTI) - cycled to Waterloo then Waterloo to Chessington North then a 20 minute cycle to Epsom. My next bet if no reserved Bike Spaces was indeed to get a cheap ticket from Crewe to London with LNWR/West Midlands Trains to Euston. No reservations required for bikes although only 2 spaces but as I would have been joining the train at the start of the route at Crewe probably would have been OK. I have in the past cycled along the river Dee cycle path (I live in Hawarden) to Chester to catch the train at Chester but obviously dependent on weather / wind and I did have a rucksack with a laptop and clothes for a week to carry also. The more sheltered route is along the old Connahs Quay to Chester Railway Line which is now a designated cycle / walking path. It pretty much follows the old route of the Dee before it was canalised over 200 years ago and because it's the old railway line is sheltered by bushes and overhanging trees which protect you from the wind.

On another note the direct Chester to London train (16:32) was almost empty - 6/7 people in each of the 5 coaches. The shop staff said interest waning because of the numerous cancellations recently due to 'no staff available' or other lame excuses - sounds like people have given up with it. A few years ago I used the 17:30 to London on a Sunday a few times and it was always rammed. I always preferred to take the shuttle service to Crewe and pick up a Liverpool or Manchester to London service with double the number of coaches and toilets and always seemed a nicer (Pendolino) experience than the Voyagers.

As a past resident of Epsom, I would go to Epsom Downs on the train and then coast down all the way into Epsom!
Wow - I must remember, that as I had a big rucksack on and the eventual journey to Chessington North and the 20 minute cycle was a bit of a struggle!

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Well all went well in the end - got train Chester - London Euston (AVANTI) - cycled to Waterloo then Waterloo to Chessington North then a 20 minute cycle to Epsom. My next bet if no reserved Bike Spaces was indeed to get a cheap ticket from Crewe to London with LNWR/West Midlands Trains to Euston. No reservations required for bikes although only 2 spaces but as I would have been joining the train at the start of the route at Crewe probably would have been OK. I have in the past cycled along the river Dee cycle path (I live in Hawarden) to Chester to catch the train at Chester but obviously dependent on weather / wind and I did have a rucksack with a laptop and clothes for a week to carry also. The more sheltered route is along the old Connahs Quay to Chester Railway Line which is now a designated cycle / walking path. It pretty much follows the old route of the Dee before it was canalised over 200 years ago and because it's the old railway line is sheltered by bushes and overhanging trees which protect you from the wind.

Small World. I actually made roughly the same journey a couple of weeks ago - Hawarden to London - except in that in the interests of fitness + saving money, I cycled as far as Crewe to pick up the LNWR service. Didn't use the Dee cycle path though as that would've been a bit of a detour into unfamiliar roads from Hawarden and I was in a hurry.

On another note the direct Chester to London train (16:32) was almost empty - 6/7 people in each of the 5 coaches. The shop staff said interest waning because of the numerous cancellations recently due to 'no staff available' or other lame excuses - sounds like people have given up with it. A few years ago I used the 17:30 to London on a Sunday a few times and it was always rammed. I always preferred to take the shuttle service to Crewe and pick up a Liverpool or Manchester to London service with double the number of coaches and toilets and always seemed a nicer (Pendolino) experience than the Voyagers.

Have to admit I've often wondered whether that hourly Chester service is really a good use of resources. The service doesn't have a particularly useful calling pattern between Crewe and London (I'm guessing, can't be pathed to stop at more places because of the Voyager's slow acceleration), and Chester doesn't really seem big enough by itself to provide enough passengers for such a frequent service to London.

As a past resident of Epsom, I would go to Epsom Downs on the train and then coast down all the way into Epsom!

Out of interest, would Tattenham Corner (with its more frequent rail service) work just as well?

Deepgreen

Established Member
Small World. I actually made roughly the same journey a couple of weeks ago - Hawarden to London - except in that in the interests of fitness + saving money, I cycled as far as Crewe to pick up the LNWR service. Didn't use the Dee cycle path though as that would've been a bit of a detour into unfamiliar roads from Hawarden and I was in a hurry.

Have to admit I've often wondered whether that hourly Chester service is really a good use of resources. The service doesn't have a particularly useful calling pattern between Crewe and London (I'm guessing, can't be pathed to stop at more places because of the Voyager's slow acceleration), and Chester doesn't really seem big enough by itself to provide enough passengers for such a frequent service to London.

Out of interest, would Tattenham Corner (with its more frequent rail service) work just as well?
Yes, TC is actually slightly higher but about 900 metres further away from Epsom town so more downhill on the bike! I assume you are heading for Epsom itself?