• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should a closed gateline always been staffed (for health and safety reasons)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiescott1

I say this as the Gateline to platforms 10 and 11 at Paddington is often closed (red crosses on all gates) and no staff present.
This is the platform where the bike racks are so have to push through the gates to get my bike.

Should they be staffed if not open?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There is more than one gateline to platforms 10 and 11. Are the staff attending the long gateline at the end of platform 11, while not attending the gateline at the end of platform 10?

jon0844

Veteran Member
If they're all closed (red X both sides) then I'm not sure they'd need to be manned. In an emergency you'd use the plunger and nobody is getting trapped unless they were forcing their way through.

If the gates are operational then they'd need to have staff.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
From previous threads, barriers need to be monitored rather than staffed.

deltic

Established Member
Netherlands seems to manage fine without staffing gatelines

DelW

Established Member
Netherlands seems to manage fine without staffing gatelines
Unfortunately we still have valid tickets that don't work the barriers, for various reasons.

On three of my last four journeys from my local station, my ticket hasn't worked the entry barriers, despite having been bought from the station's ticket office a minute or two beforehand. (These being orange cardboard tickets as the journeys included Tube transfers - where they worked the barriers). I was let through manually without comment each time (having shown the ticket).

AF91

Some gatelines are monitored remotely from a panel at another set of gates. That way several sets of gates can be staffed by a single person. Not ideal for busy times but fine for when there's dribs and drabs coming and going.

That said I've raised a few complaints in the past after staff walked away from a single gateline and left it closed with no supervision.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I say this as the Gateline to platforms 10 and 11 at Paddington is often closed (red crosses on all gates) and no staff present.
This is the platform where the bike racks are so have to push through the gates to get my bike.

If it's fully closed then no.

Platforms 10/11 has two gateline entrances; one on the overbridge and one by the main concourse. Which one do you refer to?

Jamiescott1

If it's fully closed then no.

Platforms 10/11 has two gateline entrances; one on the overbridge and one by the main concourse. Which one do you refer to?
The one on the main concourse.
The one on the overbridge is a gateline for platforms 10-14

PsychoMouse

Unfortunately we still have valid tickets that don't work the barriers, for various reasons.

On three of my last four journeys from my local station, my ticket hasn't worked the entry barriers, despite having been bought from the station's ticket office a minute or two beforehand. (These being orange cardboard tickets as the journeys included Tube transfers - where they worked the barriers). I was let through manually without comment each time (having shown the ticket).

Had this in Paris going back to DeGaulle on the RER. Valid ticket wouldn't work, very quiet middle of the afternoon, not a single staff member in site. Fortunately I wasn't in a rush so I waited 20 minutes in the hope that somebody would turn up. They didn't so I jumped the barriers in the end.

The exile

Established Member

Suspect this is one of those decisions made in an ivory tower by someone who knows all about the theory but not the reality on the ground. No trains from those platforms for a long while so deploy the staff elsewhere where they can be useful and “lock” the barriers for H&S reasons. All very logical - except for the fact that there ia another reason to access the platform (the bike rack).

Jamiescott1

Once again today the gateline was closed and unattended. Pushed through and got stopped by btp and details taken.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Once again today the gateline was closed and unattended. Pushed through and got stopped by btp and details taken.

Oh dear, that'll probably cost you an £80-£100 settlement (unfortunately pushing through a barrier is itself a Byelaw offence regardless of any ticket held).

Make sure you post the letter on the Disputes forum when you get it.

Perhaps use the bike racks on ungated P8/9 instead?

Jamiescott1

Oh dear, that'll probably cost you an £80-£100 settlement (unfortunately pushing through a barrier is itself a Byelaw offence regardless of any ticket held).

Make sure you post the letter on the Disputes forum when you get it.

Perhaps use the bike racks on ungated P8/9 instead?
Thankfully no address taken. He just Wanted to check that I'm not known to police and he gave me a warning.

I had bike stolen from racks at 8/9 (which is ungated for those that don't know) so prefer the gated 10/11 for a bit of added security

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thankfully no address taken. He just Wanted to check that I'm not known to police and he gave me a warning.

I had bike stolen from racks at 8/9 (which is ungated for those that don't know) so prefer the gated 10/11 for a bit of added security

Fair enough. Presumably the trade-off (I guess the BTP were making sure you weren't a bike thief!) would be that to use 10-11 you might occasionally have to walk round to the other gateline and ask for staff to open that one for you. I'm not sure there would be any need to staff a gateline where the platforms are fully closed, i.e. nobody should be in there, any more than they would need to staff a gateline when a station was completely closed e.g. overnight.

najaB

Veteran Member
Thankfully no address taken. He just Wanted to check that I'm not known to police and he gave me a warning
I would have been surprised if they had. Technically, yes, it's a Byelaw breach but BTP aren't likely to start a prosecution and it would put the TOC in a bad light if they tried: "Fined for trying to use my bike on public transport" while global temperatures are going through the roof.

samrammstein

Are ticket barriers linked to station fire alarms and do they automatically open if the alarm sounds?
If so this would appear to solve any concerns about entrapment in an emergency.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Abroad I've had all sorts of silliness, including having to climb under and over barriers in Spain with an Interrail pass. I always had my (back then, paper) pass in one hand in case the Seguridad appeared out of nowhere with batons in hand.

Back in the UK - I recall only one being faced with an unmanned gateline and a ticket that didn't work, which was at 4am at Wembley Central back when London Midland called first thing in the morning. I shouted in the direction of the office at increasing volume until someone sauntered out.

From my own work though, it was a huge no-no to leave a gateline unattended (no remote ones, either). Technically speaking you had to have someone a certain number of seconds from the emergency plunger at all times.

Are ticket barriers linked to station fire alarms and do they automatically open if the alarm sounds?

Yes, and from experience it takes a damn age for them to turn back on afterwards.

najaB

Veteran Member
They're definitely supposed to be, and in my limited experience are. That's not to say that someone somewhere hasn't done something silly.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Yes and yes. Have to be manually reset afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.