• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should Corbyn join RailUKforums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Towards the end of this news item our Jeremy reveals more about his views on the railway, in particular a contrast between the north and the south:

(Mr Corbyn) did not quite admit to being a trainspotter, but said his regional tours helped to feed his interest in Britain's train links.

"I had a discussion with Andy McDonald, who has just been appointed as our shadow rail minister, about the whole issue of reopening railways and branch lines and the community railway idea, and the discussion that goes with that," said Mr Corbyn.

He claimed that travelling south to north in Britain was "like a study of rolling stock history of Britain where you end up with almost slam door trains in the very north and you start off with very sophisticated new electric trains in the south".

Can't see him photting the flasks though. :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Towards the end of this news item our Jeremy reveals more about his views on the railway, in particular a contrast between the north and the south:

Can't see him photting the flasks though. :lol:

Hiw (reported) view on the antiquity of rolling stock up north might be more relevant when the largest concentration of actual 'slam door stock' is removed from the south (HSTs) - much to the howls of many southerners here.
It's a slanted view of rail travel for political means so maybe he could find kindred spirits here.

Established Member
He'd probably fit in well on here ;)

He could start with the 'new lines needed' thread, now that Deltic08 has taken his ball home.

Of course we still have sophisticated slam door trains on the GEML.

tsr

Established Member
The other reason he likes trains more in the South is because they have more of a feeling of close comradeship in the rush hour. There is nothing like cramming into a standard-only 378 with all your fellow workers, where none shall get a seat or a view lest some benefit more than others. And the state shall introduce London Overground to all, and all shall be glad that they have five carriages to get to work every quarter of an hour.

/sarcasm

Last edited:

Bertie the bus

Established Member
In his own words he's a lifelong RAIL magazine reader so perhaps he's on here already!
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/651335064907816960

If he is a lifelong reader of RAIL then he must have had a long 'paper round if he is only in his mid to late 30s. If he has been reading RAIL for the duration of its life then he is definitely a rail enthusiast as it was the enthusiast's magazine before it transformed itself into an industry rag in the mid 90s.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Eh, am I missing something here? Jeremy Corbyn is 66 years of age.

First issue of Rail (Rail Enthusiast as it was then called) was in 1981, implying Corbyn was no older than around 35 if he were a lifelong fan.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I am Jeremy Corby, Can I claim £5? :lol:

In which case why are you wrecking the party that I've been a member of for more years than I care to remember? :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
First issue of Rail (Rail Enthusiast as it was then called) was in 1981, implying Corbyn was no older than around 35 if he were a lifelong fan.

Ah ok fair enough :) Yes I remember the good old Rail Enthusiast; the rail tour reviews were very amusing!

TonyR

So those three days doing a Shadow Cabinet reshuffle were really cover for time off playing with his Hornby 00? ;)

Class 66's

It's true, I own it. Wonder if Mr. Corbyn still has his!

12CSVT

Established Member
So those three days doing a Shadow Cabinet reshuffle were really cover for time off playing with his Hornby 00? ;)

Nah, he went for a day trip to Westbury with his Platform 5 books to look for the Colas class 70s he still needs :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.