• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should I switch to freight?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1333jw

Just wondering if there's anyone on here that has switched to freight from passenger. More importantly perhaps, has anyone regretted it!?

Currently driving for Northern. Have been agonising over making the switch for years. I'd be really interested in shadowing a freight driver for a day or two but can't see that being possible.

Things that concern me:

1) Route knowledge - Surely route learning is more difficult than passenger due to irregular services etc. Is a lot of it done by watching videos?

2) Uncomfortable/noisy cab environment. Depot I am considering is all 66.

3) Job security. Could the work dry up? Is it one SPAD and you're out (not that I'm intending on having one!)

4) Traction knowledge. I assume there's plenty of training but I have no idea about engine brakes as apposed to air brakes. I've read about engine cut-offs and looking at the Speedo changing colour, what's that all about!?

Things that don't concern me too much:

1) Isolation. I don't mind my own company.

2) Irregular hours.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dieseldriver

1) They do expect you to learn routes a bit quicker than a TOC would however, if you put the work and effort in it shouldn’t be too bad.
2) 66s can be very noisy and they do get very hot in the summer, especially in the number two end cab.
3) Job security depends on which depot/company. In terms of SOL incidents it’s not really too dissimilar to a TOC.
4) You should have to complete 150 hours with an instructor to convert to freight, not sure what you mean by cut offs, not relevant to Diesel locos. The main challenge is getting used to the different braking system and how it acts, that will be dealt with during your handling hours though.

Overall, freight can be interesting and generally a bit more laid back. Conditions and shifts are generally not as good as a TOC though. If you really want to go for it then I would say give it a go, but don’t burn your bridges at your current employer just in case

Starmill

Veteran Member
If the depot you might be interested in joining is actively recruiting you could always email them and ask if you can come in for a familiarisation. They might ignore you or say no but if they're actively recruiting I would expect them to be pretty up front about answers to some of these questions. It is in their interest commercially if they can recruit a qualified driver who matches what they're looking for so if they are short it's worth asking. Obviously that's in no way to take away from the request here, which is exactly what this section is for! One further thing I would say to ask about is what if any travel benefits they offer and how this compares with whatever you currently receive. Of course if you don't use them and probably won't need to then it may not be relevant to you.

Dieseldriver

If the depot you might be interested in joining is actively recruiting you could always email them and ask if you can come in for a familiarisation. They might ignore you or say no but if they're actively recruiting I would expect them to be pretty up front about answers to some of these questions. It is in their interest commercially if they can recruit a qualified driver who matches what they're looking for so if they are short it's worth asking. Obviously that's in no way to take away from the request here, which is exactly what this section is for! One further thing I would say to ask about is what if any travel benefits they offer and how this compares with whatever you currently receive. Of course if you don't use them and probably won't need to then it may not be relevant to you.
Will say on your last point, unless you’re safeguarded you will definitely get zero travel facilities

dk1

Veteran Member
The thought of more night shifts is what always put me off freight first & foremost. That was followed by the thought that passenger work was more guaranteed long term & less likely to short term change.

saracen

As mentioned above, the loss of staff/priv travel should be taken into account and that your current pension with Northern will be far more lucrative than anything on offer from the FOC's at present

Last edited:

Dieseldriver

The thought of more night shifts is what always put me off freight first & foremost. That was followed by the thought that passenger work was more guaranteed long term & less likely to short term change.
Depending on the company/depot you could be surprised how few nights some freight drivers work

dk1

Veteran Member
Depending on the company/depot you could be surprised how few nights some freight drivers work
Yes that is true. Just the ones I have links with do an awful lot of them. Good if it suits your lifestyle but not for me.

TheEdge

Established Member
It's very individual so its hard to advise.

I know some drivers who've swapped from freight to passenger and love it, I know some who did it and absolutely regret it. And I know some who went passenger to freight who love it, and some hate it.

lammergeier

The uncertainty and somewhat bleak looking future on passenger work has caused me to look at freight as well. Currently the only roles which financially make sense are the RDD and Mobile type roles recently advertised but if things get worse on the passenger side it might shift the balance. It's a difficult decision. I do know, however, that some freight depots are getting more enquiries than usual from passenger drivers so there's a few of us thinking similar. I like the idea of having more variety which comes with freight however so it's not only financial.

skyhigh

Established Member
Just some thoughts from me. Seeing as your location is West Yorks, I'm guessing you're at one of 3 depots. One depot in particular has quite a few in the process of transferring over to freight - it might be worth speaking to some of them to understand their reasoning, and keeping in touch to find out how things go. There are also several ex-freight drivers who could give you a picture of the reality of the work.

Something to consider is that Northern in particular seems to be very much of the 'once you've gone to freight, we're not having you back' mindset at the moment. That means if you decide you don't like it, you might find it a challenge to return.
As mentioned above, the loss of staff/priv travel should be taken into account and that your current pension with Northern will be far more lucrative than anything on offer from the FOC's at present
This is definitely something to consider. As a driver with Northern, you get free travel on Northern and Grand Central, plus obviously PRIV. You also get pretty good FIP discounts and discounts on things like Stena Ferries. If you went to freight, you would lose all of that.

Out of interest, do any FOCs still use the concept of annualised hours?

Tyrion

Just some thoughts from me. Seeing as your location is West Yorks, I'm guessing you're at one of 3 depots. One depot in particular has quite a few in the process of transferring over to freight - it might be worth speaking to some of them to understand their reasoning, and keeping in touch to find out how things go. There are also several ex-freight drivers who could give you a picture of the reality of the work.

Something to consider is that Northern in particular seems to be very much of the 'once you've gone to freight, we're not having you back' mindset at the moment. That means if you decide you don't like it, you might find it a challenge to return.

This is definitely something to consider. As a driver with Northern, you get free travel on Northern and Grand Central, plus obviously PRIV. You also get pretty good FIP discounts and discounts on things like Stena Ferries. If you went to freight, you would lose all of that.

Out of interest, do any FOCs still use the concept of annualised hours?
Yeah FL HH does and I think GB Railfreight still do.

4F89

I love being freight and would never go to pass out of choice. Much more relaxed in general, from what I hear about mates at pass.

Efini92

Established Member
Currently driving for Northern. Have been agonising over making the switch for years. I'd be really interested in shadowing a freight driver for a day or two but can't see that being possible.
Most of the ones I know from northern that left for freight love it. The biggest thing for me is the pensions, you’ll pay a lot more in to receive less than what you are now.
Sadly a few ruined it for everyone a few years ago. Once a certain manager leaves that might change.

GB

Established Member
That a good or bad thing?
I'd say its a good thing. If you meet the contract early it gives you a chance to either have the rest of the year off or work days that would have been work days as overtime.

1333jw

Thanks very much for all the replies. As for pension, it's difficult getting decent advice and understanding.
Most of the ones I know from northern that left for freight love it. The biggest thing for me is the pensions, you’ll pay a lot more in to receive less than what you are now.
I thought final salary was only significantly better if your wage increased a lot towards the end of your career. With GB as far as I understand I wouldn't be able to pay into BRASS as I do now, but I could up my regular payments which they would have to match up to a certain amount. So still pretty good I think, but it's a complete minefield.

Efini92

Established Member
Thanks very much for all the replies. As for pension, it's difficult getting decent advice and understanding.

I thought final salary was only significantly better if your wage increased a lot towards the end of your career. With GB as far as I understand I wouldn't be able to pay into BRASS as I do now, but I could up my regular payments which they would have to match up to a certain amount. So still pretty good I think, but it's a complete minefield.
I’m not familiar with the pension that GBRF use. The freightliner pension was downgraded a few years ago. I’m not sure what happened with the DB one but I believe there’s now a wait period before you can join the scheme.

nb2001uk

With pensions, GBRf whom I'm guessing you're querying about pay 7% and you pay 5%

Tyrion

Is there the potential to top up your pension pot?
DB Cargo have moved to a defined contribution scheme and out of RPS for new joiners , I am not sure what the rules are on DC schemes.

To the original poster, I am making the move myself and have reservations but only one life and job satisfaction (hopefully) trumps everything else within reason for me.
No harm in applying then going to hear What is said at interview, if like me you take plunge don’t burn bridges but the landscape in TOCs might look different with gb railways in future so this “once you leave you won’t be allowed back” might be history.
The fact they have to make they threats to make drivers stay says it all to me personally at least.

Crazyb

You also want to be careful, as I think GB are bonding you to the company. If you leave, you will have to pay back the training money. If you don't, they will take legal action, to get their money back.

Carl98k

You also want to be careful, as I think GB are bonding you to the company. If you leave, you will have to pay back the training money. If you don't, they will take legal action, to get their money back.
Only for trainee drivers and it’s 4 years. If you leave before you have to pay a % back.

Status
Not open for further replies.