• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should Thameslink appear on the Tube map? (Now expected to appear in December on Tube map)

Should Thameslink appear on the Tube Map?

• Yes

Votes: 243 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 16.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 24 7.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
London Travelwatch have today issued a statement advising that they have persuaded TfL to put TLRailUK services on the next print of the Tube map. Not clear from the statement which stations will be included.

A ( draft? ) map was tweeted a day or two ago showing the inclusion as it would appear, but I can't remember who tweeted it now - might have been Steve White from GTR if anyone wants to trawl Twitter to find it.

rebmcr

Established Member
A ( draft? ) map was tweeted a day or two ago showing the inclusion as it would appear, but I can't remember who tweeted it now - might have been Steve White from GTR if anyone wants to trawl Twitter to find it.

Looks like all he did was re-tweet Travelwatch's own design.

ijmad

Established Member
Personally, I'd like to see every station that receives at least 4tph, this would include Elephant and Castle to Bickley, Herne Hill and Tulse Hill, but not the Wimbledon loop. It also would mean adding the Finsbury Park branch.

Frequency of 4tph has long been acknowledged as the minimum "turn up and go" frequency by TfL, even though there are a few edge cases that don't meet this already on the map.

rebmcr

Established Member
Including more lines would be a lot more feasible with a unified style. The obsession with giving every different TOC its own colour is completely unnecessary in the context of a regional map.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
London Travelwatch have today issued a statement advising that they have persuaded TfL to put TLRailUK services on the next print of the Tube map. Not clear from the statement which stations will be included.
TLRailUK? o_O
I hope that’s just Thameslink being autocorrected...

ijmad

Established Member
I wonder if one of the reasons TfL agreed is the Northern Line's Bank branch closure scheduled to last for well over a third of next year. Diverting customers on to Thameslink is seen as one of the key ways to manage the passenger flow.

rebmcr

Established Member
I wonder if one of the reasons TfL agreed is the Northern Line's Bank branch closure scheduled to last for well over a third of next year. Diverting customers on to Thameslink is seen as one of the key ways to manage the passenger flow.

I think Andy Byford is going for the diplomatic option, to try and smooth TfL's troubled near-future in the minds of people who need to view it sympathetically.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I am in two minds, it probably should appear on the map but the map is a complete mess now which needs a complete rethink from scratch.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I am in two minds, it probably should appear on the map but the map is a complete mess now which needs a complete rethink from scratch.

Good opportunity is when Crossrail (eventually) opens and is on the map too; it should be fairly 'static' after that.

ijmad

Established Member
Good opportunity is when Crossrail (eventually) opens and is on the map too; it should be fairly 'static' after that.

There's not too many more major building projects for a while, but TfL may gain control of more services over the next 5 or 10 years.

For example TfL may get most of GN (everything out of Moorgate), gonna be fun fitting that on.

LeeLivery

Established Member
Hurrah! Common sense prevails! I wonder whether it'll be labelled as "Thameslink" or "National Rail"? If it's the former, it may mean the need for better Thameslink branding on signage.

ijmad

Established Member
Hurrah! Common sense prevails! I wonder whether it'll be labelled as "Thameslink" or "National Rail"? If it's the former, it may mean the need for better Thameslink branding on signage.

Interesting point. If it's shown as 'Thameslink' on the map people (especially tourists) are going to be looking for the interchange sign that says "Thameslink".

My bet would be on the reintroduction of generic white lines for 'National Rail' services.

LeeLivery

Established Member
Interesting point. If it's shown as 'Thameslink' on the map people (especially tourists) are going to be looking for the interchange sign that says "Thameslink".

My bet would be on the reintroduction of generic white lines for 'National Rail' services.

Exactly my thinking. I'd prefer "Thameslink" with proper name prominence like the Liz Line will be. However, I'm doubting it'll happen.

ijmad

Established Member
Exactly my thinking. I'd prefer "Thameslink" with proper name prominence like the Liz Line will be. However, I'm doubting it'll happen.

Probably comes down to whether TfL should be given control of some or all of Thameslink. Probably not on the cards for the foreseeable.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

I guess at London Bridge it may not be massively obvious that a "tube" line leaves from Platform 5 in the main station!

ijmad

Established Member
I guess at London Bridge it may not be massively obvious that a "tube" line leaves from Platform 5 in the main station!

You think that's bad, imagine not realising and changing from the Victoria Line to Platform A/B at St Pancras

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Probably comes down to whether TfL should be given control of some or all of Thameslink. Probably not on the cards for the foreseeable.

I really can't see the point of doing this so I hope it doesn't happen.

LeeLivery

Established Member
Yeah, there's no need for TfL taking Thameslink over, especially that far out of London. Paris shows you don't need RATP to run RER C, D & E to be an integral part of the network. You just need co-operation.

Cdd89

Established Member
Looking at some of the arguments on this thread, I think the Tube Map is increasingly arbitrary.
  • If minimum frequency is the criteria, much of the Overground and TfL Rail doesn’t belong.
  • If consistent fare scales are the criteria, the Trams don’t belong.
  • If operator is the criteria, then the DLR doesn’t belong.
  • If centralness of services is the criteria, then why not Charing X to London Bridge and Waterloo to Wimbledon.
I never use the “tube map” (as opposed to the “tube and rail map”) and I don’t understand its purpose really. I think the tube map is most used only because it’s the one TfL make easily accessible.

In reality I suspect most people use neither - making this a moot point - because these days people use journey planners to navigate.

ijmad

Established Member
Looking at some of the arguments on this thread, I think the Tube Map is increasingly arbitrary.
  • If minimum frequency is the criteria, much of the Overground and TfL Rail doesn’t belong.
  • If consistent fare scales are the criteria, the Trams don’t belong.
  • If operator is the criteria, then the DLR doesn’t belong.
  • If centralness of services is the criteria, then why not Charing X to London Bridge and Waterloo to Wimbledon.
I never use the “tube map” (as opposed to the “tube and rail map”) and I don’t understand its purpose really. I think the tube map is most used only because it’s the one TfL make easily accessible.

In reality I suspect most people use neither - making this a moot point - because these days people use journey planners to navigate.

Actually I think it's very simple. The current 'tube map' is a 'map of all services run by TfL' excluding busses.

Because TfL is now entirely funded by its own ticket revenue, it's not in their interests to promote services where they don't sell the tickets. Thameslink looks like it's going to be a sensible exception, though a far better 'fix' would come up with a sensible revenue/grant model where TfL could show useful high-frequency rail services without fear of kneecapping themselves.

You mention the DLR, but this works much like the Overground, it's a fixed fee management contract I believe. It's still very much a TfL service.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Yes, Thameslink definitely belongs on the tube map. TFL have needed to acknowledge its existence for a long time.

Travelling between St Pancras on London Bridge is much more comfortable on Thameslink than the northern line especially with a heavy suitcase. It’s also included on a few national rail tickets.

I think that it is very important that people are aware of all their options and given a choice

Cdd89

Established Member
Actually I think it's very simple. The current 'tube map' is a 'map of all services run by TfL' excluding busses.
In other words it's a map run for the benefit of TfL and nobody else. And as more journeys get arranged via journey planners - so if NR services are the best option, people will be guided toward them - the advantages of the map to TfL are beginning to be chipped away at.

I remain of the view that rather than trying to fix it with the odd service here and there, we need to ditch it entirely and have the R&T map as the only one. If people are only interested in Zone 1 then that's all they need to look at. Even there, maps are not that useful for journey planning because they don't speak to frequency of services - or journey times - or even price - for the route planned to be undertaken.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.