• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Show me your tickets or else I'll put the train in the sidings"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Of which you, naturally, are the judge? Making a pa announcement on a safety related matter is hardly bringing the company into disrepute. :roll:

Calling the passengers a long list of swear words yes, but grumpily asking people to move, no.
I'm pretty sure the poster you quoted was referring to the announcement which this topic is actually about, rather than the unrelated comments made later in the thread about trains being too busy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure the poster you quoted was referring to the announcement which this topic is actually about, rather than the unrelated comments made later in the thread about trains being too busy.

i dont think he was as he quoted another poster (Lllanigraham) answering a 4th poster (TUC) on his surely announcement experience.

I was simply pointing out that that wasn't "bringing the company into disrepute" - any semi competent representation would have such a charged dismissed in about 2 seconds.

Anyway - back on topic - the announcement the op referred to was clearly intended, imo, to be humorous but often humour is lost on people!

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Of which you, naturally, are the judge? Making a pa announcement on a safety related matter is hardly bringing the company into disrepute. :roll:

I am flattered by your confidence in me to make such determinations, I really am. Sadly I'll have to disappoint you and say the matter would need to be deferred to the relevant employee's line manager or equivalent.

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
When announcing that a train is too full and for some passengers to leave a Guard should be polite and take into consideration that people who pay £4000 pa for a ticket do not want to be home late or crammed up worse than cattle. An simple announcement like this

"unfortunately due to this train being severely overcrowded we cannot leave the platform until some of you get off the train, (Rail company) apologise for the inconvenience and delay to your onward journey this may cause you"

is much better than

"We are not moving until some of you get of the train "

LowLevel

Established Member
The first usually follows the second :)

Having been there there is no polite way to say 'I've asked nicely and you've refused so some police officers are coming to remove some of you physically from the train if necessary.'

It's still much more polite than in France where I witnessed an overcrowded TGV having passengers marched out of the door way and off the platform by armed paramilitary police officers in combat clothing during a strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.