• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred's Europe and Asia trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic, (Day 10). Monday 10th February 2020.

A line and shed bashing trip around the Czech Republic, nipping into Poland and a bit of border hopping into German. For the last 3 days I was on my annual Grumpy Rail Tour traversing some new track around Southern Bohemia.

The day of my flight Back to the UK, these trips go so quickly. My last few hours were spent on Prague Praha hlavní nádraží. I find something so romantic about Eastern and Central Europe generally, especially the people I meet out there, they have suffered so much historically and I`m always sadden to leave.

I was back on the platforms of Praha hlavní nádraží capturing my last photographs of the trip. The morning started off very wet and cold, but the sun later came out. My mate Rob arrived into Prague the night before and we were booked on the same flight back to the UK, we met on the station platforms for a while and later at the airport as I was getting the AE bus (Airport Express), and Rob already had a Prague day rover, so travelled on the underground and normal bus service.

We had survived “Storm Dennis”, while Germany and apparently the UK took the brunt of it, a number of flights were cancelled from Prague into Germany, but our flight back to Manchester was on time and with no issues, and it wasn’t long before we were back on home soil and travelling on a Nova 1 from the Airport around to Manchester Victoria, where I lefty Rob for his journey back to Yorkshire. I was working the next day and arrived home for around 16.00, it had been emotional.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2768459893201512&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
For clarity, are the Nova 1 sets 397s or 802s? I seem to recall Nova 3 is the MK5 sets, but I am a bit out of touch with things so not sure.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
For clarity, are the Nova 1 sets 397s or 802s? I seem to recall Nova 3 is the MK5 sets, but I am a bit out of touch with things so not sure.

Nova 1s are the 802s- now the mainstay of my commutes home from university rather than a packed 185!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks both. I do have a soft spot for the 185s, mostly from several long-distance overnight trips on TPX in years gone by. Nostalgia overload here...

shredder1

Established Member
Thanks both. I do have a soft spot for the 185s, mostly from several long-distance overnight trips on TPX in years gone by. Nostalgia overload here...

I must confess I`m not a great 185 fan Tech, my Transpennine units were the old Class 124`s, sadly none got preserved, we used them a lot across the Pennines and often visited them on shed at Hull Botanic Gardens, great daze.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair game. I must go and find my last one, 185108, some time. Now they don't go to Liverpool it should in theory make it slightly easier to find it. We'll see!

I spy a South Pennines Day Ranger coming up later this year...

shredder1

Established Member
Fair game. I must go and find my last one, 185108, some time. Now they don't go to Liverpool it should in theory make it slightly easier to find it. We'll see!

I spy a South Pennines Day Ranger coming up later this year...

Yes its a great ticket, especially for me living in Manchester because it allows me to do a few circles, to Sheffield and Leeds using various lines.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 1).

A trip essentially shed and line bashing in Eastern Czech Republic and southern Poland.

I flew in to Prague on the Monday evening and stayed in the Rosemary near Hlavni Nadrazi. Apart from having to wear a facemask on the flights and in the airports, everything else in Czech appeared to be back to normal with everything open now.

Taking an early train from Prague Hlavni Nadrazi, to Breclav, I boarded a train along on the Austrian border line to Hrusovany na Jevisovkou, to Znojmo and a Singing Taurus to the Austrian border at Satov, returning to Moravske Budejovice and Okrisky and then back to Brno. Staying in private rooms at the Franz Kafka Spital hostel. I paid out £15 per night, for a few nights’ night with breakfast and, decent showers too. It's wasn’t far from the railway station either.

I always struggle with satnavs, but this Italian bird went out of her way to take me to the hostel, she waited until I signed in and ask me to go for a drink with her later. To be honest I couldn’t be bothered, it had been a long day and I was my now feeling tired, I said I'd ring her to get rid of her, she’d probably look alright after a few beers, in her 50,s I think, good tan and well dressed, I must be getting old. It was a great first day though and nice to be able to fly out of the UK once again.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 1).

A trip essentially shed and line bashing in Eastern Czech Republic and southern Poland.

I flew in to Prague on the Monday evening and stayed in the Rosemary near Hlavni Nadrazi. Apart from having to wear a facemask on the flights and in the airports, everything else in Czech appeared to be back to normal with everything open now.

Taking an early train from Prague Hlavni Nadrazi, to Breclav, I boarded a train along on the Austrian border line to Hrusovany na Jevisovkou, to Znojmo and a Singing Taurus to the Austrian border at Satov, returning to Moravske Budejovice and Okrisky and then back to Brno. Staying in private rooms at the Franz Kafka Spital hostel. I paid out £15 per night, for a few nights’ night with breakfast and, decent showers too. It's wasn’t far from the railway station either.

I always struggle with satnavs, but this Italian bird went out of her way to take me to the hostel, she waited until I signed in and ask me to go for a drink with her later. To be honest I couldn’t be bothered, it had been a long day and I was my now feeling tired, I said I'd ring her to get rid of her, she’d probably look alright after a few beers, in her 50,s I think, good tan and well dressed, I must be getting old. It was a great first day though and nice to be able to fly out of the UK once again.

Stay safe. There have been a couple of train crashes in CZ recently.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 2). Wednesday 8th July 2020.

I was up, showered, breakfasted and out early from the Franz Kafka and across town to Brno HL nadrazi, it was to be another red-hot day, Meltio. I took a train back down to Breclav, but this time to visit the depot, there was however lots of police on the station though, so I couldn’t take my normal route in, instead I went to the far end of the platform put the hi viz on and followed a team of PW workers onto the depot and right into the Stromistri office, a lovely guy, gave me immediate permission to visit. I was really lucky in that the scrap line was being shunted around, so I got some great shots of everything on shed. I returned to the platforms via the tunnel after a great visit.

I next planned some more line bashing, my first train took me up to Hodonin behind a class 362, then a change to a bug up to Veseli nad Moravou and then another unit to Uherske Hradiste, after which I returned to Brno, but via Vessel, and Brinkovice, to Brno HL nadrazi. I then took a train to Skalice nad Svitavou for the branch train, which I was hoping would take me to Chornice, but it only went as far as Boskovice and back, but still a bit of new track for me. I then returned to Brno for tea and a beer. I decided to stay on the Eastern side of the country this trip and later move north to Ostrava and into Poland over the weekend.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 3). Thursday 9th July 2020.

Another early start, but first a walk over to Brno Dolni Nadrazi and a Class 263 to Zdar nad Sazavou, (sort of rolls off the tongue doesn't it), then the line down to Tisnov, but via Bystrice nad Permstejnem, and then back on the main line up to Krizanov and the cross country line to Studenec, then a unit to Jihlana, a Class 262 to Dobronin for the Polna branch, (don't ask), I`d missed the last train by 40 years, but the line was still marked on the 2020 map, apparently a special ran up the line in 2006, it’s still in place though, only a short branch, I only had an hour to wait for the next train out from Dobronin, which was as well as there was nothing there. I did struggle finding a paper timetable this time, I do hope CD haven’t stopped producing then, they were far easier to use than the website. My next train took me to Havlickuv Brod for a direct train back to Brno Dolni Nadrazi, so a bit more track under the old belt, I was also allowed around Havlickuv Brod depot, not a large depot and mainly DMU`s, but a few locos where present including a newly liveried Goggle, so it was worth the effort. So quite a long day line bashing really, on returning to Brno I had a Czech Goulash and black beer before returning to the Franz Kafka for the night, another great day.

Veteran Member
As you've discovered, CD didn't publish a timetable this year (being CD, it would have excluded the non-CD concessions) - ISTR SZDC are publishing one for next year (the pdfs are online anyway).

shredder1

Established Member
As you've discovered, CD didn't publish a timetable this year (being CD, it would have excluded the non-CD concessions) - ISTR SZDC are publishing one for next year (the pdfs are online anyway).

Next year, thank goodness for that, its the first time I havent had one for about 5 years, thanks very much for that mate. Do you know if Slovakia are still doing the complete one, last time I visited you got 3 separate ones for each region ?

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 4). Friday 10th July 2020.

A trip essentially shed and line bashing in eastern Czech Republic and southern Poland.

I was up at 05.30 showered and out of the Franz Kafka for 06.00, so another early start, grabbing a quick sandwich and coffee on the station and then a train out to Brno Zidenice and then a walk along the railway path into Malomerice locomotive depot, it's always difficult getting passed security there, but if you make it to the Stromistri office, then he usually lets you go around. I sneaked passed the security office and notice one of security guys give me a glance, so thinking on my feet, I saw one of the wheel tappers busy at work, so I shouted over to him in Czech, Dobre Den, walked over to him and shook his hand, and then waved at him as I moved away, he must have thought I was a right nutter, security thought I was one of them though, and returned to his kennel, and I made it to the Stromistri,s office. I went through my usual broken Czech talk, and he started waving his arms around, presumably meaning I could go around the depot, so I did. Not much on shed though but lots in the yard, and no sign of the two preserved steam locos that are housed there, they were on shed on my last visit. They did appear to be building an extension to the depot though.

I returned to Brno Hlavni nadrazi for some line bashing, first I took a local train out to Krenovice and returned to Brno Hlavni nadrazi. Next I caught a train out to Zajeci for the line to Cejc, the smaller lines above there, to Klobouky u Brna and Uhrice u Kyjova have sadly gone over to bus services, I also had a two hour wait for the next train across the branch to Hodonin, although if I`d have travelled from the other direction I could have caught one right through. From Hodonin I next took a train up to Otrokovice for the Vizovice branch. but the train I caught only went as far as Zlin, so I had another 30 minutes wait to complete the line. From Vizovice I returned to the junction at Otrokovice and then next train up to Prerov, when I sighted some of the former Belgium Class 1200`s behind the round house on the way out, so I decided to visit the following morning and see if I could also visit the works, I have been round Prerov works before, but there is not much on these days. I then returned to Brno Hlavni nadrazi, for my tea, beef goulash and black beer, it had been a long but satisfying day.

Veteran Member
Next year, thank goodness for that, its the first time I havent had one for about 5 years, thanks very much for that mate. Do you know if Slovakia are still doing the comp[l;ete one, last time I visited you got 3 separate ones for each region ?
Sorry, no idea - I've just downloaded the Pdfs and it looks like a complete volume.

87electric

I admire your getting out and about and enjoying yourself. So many are scared of "rules". Your blagging to avoid the security guy was priceless and had me rolling. Keep it up.

shredder1

Established Member
I admire your getting out and about and enjoying yourself. So many are scared of "rules". Your blagging to avoid the security guy was priceless and had me rolling. Keep it up.

Lol thank you, security dont have the same understanding as shed foremen, and most railway men understand our passion, however I have presented myself to some security offices and they have contacted the shed foreman for me and been really helpful. A strange one was in Sarajevo Bosnia, I took a taxi out to the depot, which is surrounded by high security fencing and razer wire all ove the place, I presented my begging letter in my best Bosnian to the armed security guard, the guy phoned the shed foreman who cam out and asked me if I was English and how I was, he took me in the depot, offered me a brew and some breakfast, said I could go and have a look at the engines, but said no photographs, lol

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 5). Saturday 11th July 2020.

A trip essentially shed and line bashing in eastern Czech Republic and southern Poland.

The first wet morning of the trip and I was debating if I should go around Ostrava depot or instead do it first thing in the morning, it had a lot of locos on as I passed by, so was very tempting, but since I had two days coming up staying in Ostrava I decided to visit it on the Sunday instead. I was on an early train from Brno and heading back up at Prerov and arriving for 07.30, fortunately the rain had stopped by the time I arrived and the lighting was quite good. The first thing I did was put the hi viz on and head to the back of the round house for the ex-Belgian 1200,s, one was parked in a sidings just off the main line and I was pleasantly surprised to find 2 more in poor condition but still carrying Belgium livery 1211 and 1212, these were park up on an old siding behind this, not sure if they are being used for spares or what’s happening to them.

I then moved back in to the round house. No Stromistri around, but one of the lads gave me permission to visit, apart from a few loco`s undergoing renovations and repaints, not really much on the depot these days. My next move was a train up to Bohumin, which is always a very busy border station with many Czech and Polish locos changing trains there. There was lots of Polish locos around the station and in the sidings, which consisted of EU 07,s and EP 09,s. I went around the depot and half way round the heavens opened up again and I had to shelter at one point, but still managed a decent set of photographs before returning to the platforms.

My next move was a City Elefant out to Cesky Tesin with a change of train, to another City Elefant, but being hauled part of the journey behind centre cab CD diesel Class 717 025-4, because the power was out on part of the journey, travelling to Ostrava Svinov via Havirov on the direct line. It’s always worth a visit to Ostrava Svinov which on that day had a German loco, DB 289 another ex-Belgian 1200 loco in CD Loko red livery, and two Unipetrol 753,s locos, which had passed me light engines at Bohumin, along on the platforms was ELC Vectron and two Slovakian electrics class 363 in the yard.

I boarded the next train up the line to Ostrava Hlvani nadrazi for the Moravian Hostel, a 5-minute walk from the station. I stayed here with Rob in February earlier this year, it seemed surreal then knowing that Rob is no longer with us, amazing how quickly lives can change. After a shower I went to my favourite Italian restaurant in Ostrava, one I`ve been visiting since 2016, but no Rob this time. I ordered what I though was a pepperony pizza, the meat based one, but as it turned out it was a pizza with a variety of peppers on it of varying heat types, I really need to improve my Czech, although the black Czech beer helped neutralise any burning sensation. A lot more mask wearers at Ostrava and on the Polish border, so I was back wearing mine again.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I must admit Nick, your adventures have prompted me to consider a Czech foray next month. Its ten times safer being there than in the UK covid wise anyway!

I'm glad your depot visits have been fruitful.

The Pepperoni thing did make me laugh- it does ring a bell though as I'm sure I've been similarly baffled when looking at sandwiches in a Tesco in Prague!

shredder1

Established Member
I must admit Nick, your adventures have prompted me to consider a Czech foray next month. Its ten times safer being there than in the UK covid wise anyway!

I'm glad your depot visits have been fruitful.

The Pepperoni thing did make me laugh- it does ring a bell though as I'm sure I've been similarly baffled when looking at sandwiches in a Tesco in Prague!

Lol thanks very much, yes I should be more careful what I order really, lol, its great out there at the moment, just back to normal, but the summer offer rover ticket finished at the end of July.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 6). Sunday 12th July 2020.

After my first night in beautiful Ostrava Covid and all. I was up and out for 05.30 and on the sheds for 06.00, loads of locos on shed and I had a great visit, although a foggy one, but the day soon cleared up and turned into another hot one. In fact, the Strojmister was a little apprehensive about letting me go around the depot because of the fog, so I went down on my knees and prayed, if for nothing else it brought a smile to his face and he allowed me around. In retrospect had I waited another hour it would have cleared anyway, but still I go some decent atmospheric foggy shots.

I next intended to cross over into Poland and do the depot at Czechowice Dzidezice, a shed I`d not done for a few years, I caught a Goggle to Frydek Mistek with a change for a train to Ceske Tesin, but trains across the border there had stopped, and my only choice was to walk over the bridge into Poland, which I have done before, but then I would have to find a bus to get me to Czechowice Dzidezice as the local trains on the Polish side had also been stopped, so I sacked it, and instead took a train out to Opava Vychod as I needed three branch lines from there. I was in time for the Hvoznicky Expres to Svobode Hermanice with a 2 hour wait at the top, I couldn't find anything up there, so just chilled out for a while at the terminus of the line, I found out later however that a village was only a kilometre away. I did however meet a lovely guy on the train up Jakub, who gave me a full history of the line, Jakub was from Ostrava and catching the train up the hills and cycling back down them, so I bumped into him a few times throughout my trips that day.

On returning to Opava, I was in time for my second branch train to Hlucin, a nice run up a line to another small village, returning as far as the junction for the shuttle to Chuchenia, at Kravare ve Slezsku so that was all the three branch lines completed from Opava. I returned to Ostrava Svinov, and met up again with Jakub who was heading back to his home in Ostrava, he alighted at one of the local stations on the return journey. I however had another change from Ostrava Svinov for a train to Ostrava Hlavni nadrazi and for a Sunday night it was very busy with freight.

I was back at my favourite Italian for tea, a good old Hawaii pizza and black ales filled the gap, before returning to the Moravia for the night, after another long but satisfying day.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 7). Monday 13th July 2020.

I left the Moravia, in Ostrava at 06.00 for an early train up to Bohumin and then I boarded a PKP unit direct to Rybnik. Nice to be back in Poland again, although I was last in Rybnik in February earlier this year, but always a great shed bash, indeed the shed produced a Freightliner Newag Dragon again, I do like these for a modern loco, I saw a different one here on my February visit, a couple of class 66,s in the yards en route also, but sadly none went through the station while I was there.

A second spike of Covid had hit this region, so it was back to masks and anti-bacterial hand washing. Its mandatory to wear masks on the trains at the moment in Poland and the police have been handing out hefty fines for not wearing them.

After an excellent shed visit at Rybnik, I next booked an intercity train behind a class EU07 to Katowice, you have to book reservations on intercity trains in PKP at the moment or again you will receive a fine of around £26 for boarding without a reservation, which is one of the reasons why I didn’t use my Interrail on this trip.

On arrival into Katowice and having dropped the rucksack off in my room, I was back on the station for the rest of the day and was surprised just how busy it was especially with freight. I also had a walk out to see the two original half roundhouse' s, but they are so overgrown these days it's difficult to get any decent pictures. I Returned to the station for the rush hour, Elf's have mainly taken over here since my last visit, Voyagers on steroids and Pox Doctors although a few rebuilt EN 57 s and EN 71's did turn out.

I stayed at the Kaktus Guest House, a great little guest house 10 minutes from Katowice railway station, modern, clean and just under a tenner a night and plenty of restaurants on the same terrace. For tea I had a traditional Silesian, Rolada Śląska, very tasty and washed down with a local Polish ale, I slept well that night. Its quite cheap in Katowice because its off the tourist map really and more visitors tend to head for Krakow. So not a bad day really and another long one.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 8). Tuesday 14th July 2020.

Why is it always a bright and sunny day when you are flying home? I was up early and showered at the Kaktus Guest House, must remember it for next time. I headed back to Katowice railway station to catch the morning rush hour, surprisingly it was slower than the evening rush hour the day before, but still not bad though, but no freight. A few EU 07`s and EP 09's, the odd freight loco and a few old EN 57/71s, and rebuilt ones, a Pox Doctor and loads of Elf's.

I was due to fly back mid-afternoon from Katowice airport, an airport I`d not used before, a direct bus service operated from below the railway station and shopping centre, which took just under an hour to get me to the airport.

Not many people at the airport and the plane was nearly empty on the way back too, I was going to ask the pilot if he could drop me off at home, but I guess Ryanair won`t always go the extra mile, still well worth 20 quid though. I had 2 seats to myself on the plane and the 3 seats behind me were also empty.

I landed back in Manchester at 16.00 and had to fill a form out before they`d allow me back in the country, back to reality now I suppose, but it had been a great break after being incarcerated like forever.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Did no freight go through Katowice Glowny because there are avoiding lines maybe?

shredder1

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.