• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shreds European Trips, Volume 2.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Out of curiosity, how long were you expecting to wait for the bus? Would there have been much to do?
To Chabowka, it was timed the same as the trains, a two hourly service, taking about 2.5 hours each way, I just didnt fancy a bus TBH, I will do Chabowka on my next visit anyway, it looks like an amazing collection, I passed it on my way to Zakopane on my last visit,

shredder1

Established Member
Sorry, I meant when you got back to Manchester :)
Oh sorry :), about 4 hours, so I went in the all night McDonalds and got something to eat and then check for all night buses, I get free travel you see on buses, then I found out the clocks had gone forward, I thought I was left with 3 hours, but only had two to wait, which for £20 I would have waited, but never mind.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
D'oh! Easy enough done though, at least you got back at a more reasonable time though which will no doubt have been welcome rest :)

shredder1

Established Member
D'oh! Easy enough done though, at least you got back at a more reasonable time though which will no doubt have been welcome rest :)

Just planning my next break now, Portugal on the 3rd May, Ill probably try to do the FEVE coastal line again in Northern Spain from Ferrol to Gijon, providing its now a bus service nex time

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice. I've not been to Portugal since October half-term 1992. I was nearly 8 at the time, I have little memories of that holiday and I must go back to Portugal one day. Hmm, I have just realised I have enough Avios for a round trip to Faro, this may have to be used!

shredder1

Established Member
Nice. I've not been to Portugal since October half-term 1992. I was nearly 8 at the time, I have little memories of that holiday and I must go back to Portugal one day. Hmm, I have just realised I have enough Avios for a round trip to Faro, this may have to be used!
Ive never been to Portugal, I was going to go in February while I was in Northern Spain, but I just ran out of time, so Im looking forward to it.

shredder1

Established Member
Portugal and Northern Spain, (Day 1). Wednesday 3rd May 2023.

My plan was to do as much as Portugal as possible, but I had also had word that the Spanish FEVE line from Ferrol to Navia, a line I attempted to traverse in March this year, was supposed to be opening on Saturday 6th May, but on arrival, I was disappointed to find a bus service was still operating, and that it could be June now before trains operate on the line, so I made the decision to return into Portugal.

I was on a late afternoon flight from Manchester to Porto, arriving in the city by around 18.00, Portugal is in the same time zone as the UK. A Metro tram network operates from the airport directly into the main station at Porto, Porto Campanha, which is a through station that deals with all the international services.

On arrival at Porto Campanha, I was greeted with locomotives Stadler class 335 co-co diesel- electric locomotive that was on a timber train, Electric SNCF BB 15000 design class 2600 Nez-Cassee (broken nose), was light engine in the station, and Sorefame, electric class 5600 Bo-Bo which appear to be doing the mainstay of loco hauled passenger services. In addition to a selection of EMUs on suburban services, so a good start to the week.

I took tea in the station café and later went to my accommodation for the night. I had booked a hostel which was a 6-minute walk from the railway station, £20 EU for the night and not a bad place really. I was showered and early to bed, ready for an early start the next morning.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Portugal's somewhere I haven't been since I was in primary school, and has long been on the list to revisit. Knowing there's a Metro directly linking the airport to the city centre in Porto definitely helps stir the pot of planning!

shredder1

Established Member
Portugal's somewhere I haven't been since I was in primary school, and has long been on the list to revisit. Knowing there's a Metro directly linking the airport to the city centre in Porto definitely helps stir the pot of planning!
Yes its very accessible, an easy country to get around, it was the first time Ive been actually, still a bit of interest out there Tech.

shredder1

Established Member
Portugal and Northern Spain, (Day 2). Thursday 4th May 2023.

My plan was to do as much as Portugal as possible, but I had also had word that the Spanish FEVE line from Ferrol to Navia, a line I attempted to traverse in March this year, was supposed to be opening on Saturday 6th May, but on arrival, I was disappointed to find a bus service was still operating, and that it could be June now before trains operate on the line, so I made the decision to return into Portugal.

My first full day in Portugal, I had slept well in the hostel and I was up at 04.00 for the 05.32 Pendolino to Faro, the bottom of the country, a five-and-a-half-hour ride for 27 EU with a 50% discount for us elderly chaps. It was quite a fast service really and stopped at Lisbon on the way down.

I hadn’t had anything to eat during the journey, so the first thing I did on arriving into Faro, was to search out a restaurant for some breakfast come lunch. A traditional Portuguese fare with fish and various vegetables, it was lovely and only 13 EU including an ice cream and fruit dessert. Faro is only a small town really, and aimed at tourists, after a walk around the town I returned to the railway station for the 14.15 train back up to Porto. This time we were loco hauled back to Lisbon Oriente behind a Electric, Sorefame Bo-Bo Class 5600, and then a change for a Pendolino back to Porto Campanha. It had largely been a day of travel and nice to see a large part of the country.

After a late tea in a local restaurant, I made my way to a different hostel this time, 17 EU and only a five-minute walk from the railway station, and again a decent hostel and I had another good night’s sleep.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That sounds like a good way to get between the cities and towns, I'm starting to use your trip report to base an actual plan for my long overdue Portugal trip. Of course, for me I'd be using the trains to see the countryside then having a good bit of walking around the places, and ideally staying in hotels with a gym/fitness suite as well :lol:

shredder1

Established Member
That sounds like a good way to get between the cities and towns, I'm starting to use your trip report to base an actual plan for my long overdue Portugal trip. Of course, for me I'd be using the trains to see the countryside then having a good bit of walking around the places, and ideally staying in hotels with a gym/fitness suite as well :lol:

Hope they help Tech, I dont train while Im away, Im back at the gym tonight through. I was eating a lot of fish and fruit out there and seem to have lost a bit of weight, both Porto and Lisbon are very hilly

shredder1

Established Member
Portugal and Northern Spain, (Day 3). Friday 5th May 2023.

I was heading up over the Spanish Border and specifically for Ferrol, a town Id visited in March earlier this year, but I had arrived by bus, because of engineering work on the line between Navia and Ferrol, but I had heard that the FEVE line from Ferrol to Oviedo was due to open on Saturday.

My train left Porto Campanha at just after 08.30, so not too early a start, but I still got down to the station to see if I could catch up with any freight passing through. I was lucky, two timber train were parked in the platforms one behind a Medway Vossloh Euro 4000 Co-Co, and the second one was a Captrain Vossloh Euro 4000 Co-Co also arriving and departing was a special behind CP English Electric/Sorefame class 1400.

I was travelling on a CP diesel multiple unit class 592/2 DMU-3 Hydraulic, taking over 2 hours to get to Vigo Guixar, Northern Spain. My next train was a RENFE class 599 DMU to take me to A Coruna and then the final train of the day was CAF/ABB RENFE class 594 2-car hydraulic DMU to Ferrol. It was only then that I found out that trains were not running on the FEVE network the following day, and I was told it could be as late as June now before the line opens again, so that’s the second time this year I had arrived at Ferrol to find the FEVE line wasn’t operating. Disappointed and considering my options for the following day, I made my way to the hotel for the night.

Ferrol is an old and run down former dockers town, off the tourist map and the hotel I stayed in was also tired looking, but the place had a strange attraction for me. I dropped my rucksack off at the hotel and went into the town to find somewhere to eat. Trains out of Ferrol were a little sparse on a Saturday, although there was one leaving just before 06.00, so I set the alarm on the phone and had an early night. I was heading back to Vigo, but on a longer route to cover some new track. I booked an hotel in Vigo for the following night.

shredder1

Established Member
A shame about the highlight of the day not happening, but it sounds like you made the best of it :)

Yes I guess it cost me two days I could have used elsewhere, but never mind, Ill try again next year, the FEVE lines are a bit hit and miss and event when they are running, on the longer routes its usually one train a day, Ill be back though ;)

shredder1

Established Member
Portugal and Northern Spain, (Day 4). Saturday 6th May 2023.

I left my hotel in Ferrol at 05.30, having been disappointed that the FEVE line Ferrol to Navia opening had been put back again. My revised plan was to catch the 05.55 down to Ourense, travel the line to Monforte de Lemos, which was undergoing engineering works when I visited in March, and then back to Ourense and catch a train into Vigo, which would have been two sections of new track for me, however things didn’t quite work out that way.

When I arrived on the platforms at Ferrol all was quiet and my train wasn’t showing on the boards, which I thought was strange. Even stranger I noticed the station clock was showing 06.30, I looked at my watch and that also showed 06.30, I then checked my phone and it was showing 05.30, what the hell was going on I thought. I had missed my train, yet I had set the alarm on my phone for 05.00. It took me a little while to work out what had happened and I’m still not sure how this sort of thing can happen. It turns out that I had crossed a time line somewhere between leaving Portugal and arriving into Spain, this would have been fine but for the fact that my phone hadn’t moved the hour forward, I had not come across this before.

So I was in a bit of a quadrant; Ferrol on a Saturday morning is not an easy place to get out of and the next train to get me through to A Coruna and Vigo was 14.00 in the afternoon. Fortunately, the bus station was next to the railway station and I found out that there was a bus leaving Ferrol bus station at 08.30 to Vigo. The problem was there was no ticket office open in the bus station, nor any ticket machines. I tried to book on line, once I found the site for buses, but it wouldn’t allow me to purchase a ticket that way. I had found out from another passenger that the driver couldn’t take cards, and I didn’t have any cash on me, so I had to walk into the town, find a cash machine, take out the minimum 20EUs, get charged 7EUs for doing so, I then walked back to the bus station just in time for the bus and after all that, the driver wouldn’t take a 20EU note. The fare was 8 EU and I did however find a 5EU note in the back of my wallet, the driver took this off me and issued a ticket to A Coruna, he couldn’t speak English so I didn’t have a clue what he was doing, but I stayed on the bus to Vigo anyway and nothing was said.

I arrived into Vigo just after lunch and made my way to the hostal, it wasn’t too far from the bus station, but all uphill. I dropped my rucksack off at the hostal, and headed down to the railway station to see what had changed, and what I could photograph, 3 RENFE locos were in the yard.

Above the bus station is a large shopping centre, with another railway station actually built into it, it was strange to see and is largely underground and enters tunnels on leaving the shopping centre. It’s called Vigo Urzaiz and caters for AVE high speed electric trains It has 3 platforms for 6 tracks and was built in 2015 on the site of the original Urzaiz railway station of 1878.

I had lunch in the city and spent some time around the shopping centre. Its quite an interesting city really, but built on a steep hill, I found a lift in the shopping centre which took me up to the level that the road to my hostal was located, but from the city below it’s a very steep walk up to the shopping centre, although they appear to be building a large outside lift from the lower part of the City to the shopping centre and bus station. This was the only day of the trip that I didn’t travel on any trains, but the following day I was heading back into Portugal.

shredder1

Established Member
Portugal and Northern Spain, (Day 5). Sunday 7th May 2023.

An early start and walk down the hill from my hostal in Vigo and down to Vigo Guixar railway station for a few early morning photographs before taking breakfast in one of the cafes in the city. I returned to the railway station just after 08.00 and enjoyed a two-and-a-half-hour train ride by Portuguese DMU back across the border and down into Porto. I had booked a different hostel this time, another one close by the railway station, I was however back in Porto for 11.00 am, so had chance to explore the city this time.

I started off by catching a Metro tram out to the depot at Contumil, I was after some photographs of the Nez Cassee`s, the CP Bo-Bo, class 2600s. Although I wasn’t allowed around the depot, I did find a few viewing areas, one from the station platforms, but the sun was in the wrong direction, so I decided to revisit it later in the week, the light was better from the platforms in the mornings. I returned to Porto Campanha and then caught a train down to Porto Sao Bento, the large and palatial terminus railway station, and I was lucky as no less than three of the class 2600`s were on the station on special trains.

I left the railway station and walked down to the river as I wanted to ride the historic trams, the Sociedade de Transportes Colectivos do Porto. For 7EU I travelled along the river on number 1 tram route from Infante to the end of the estuary at Passeio Alegre, and returning on the number 18 tram route into the city square at Porto, around 30 minutes each way and well worth a visit.

I returned to the magnificent Porto Sao Bento railway station, before catching a train back to Porto Campanha, and them taking an evening meal in the city. I was on another early start the next morning, the 05.32 Pendolino, but this time just as far as Lisbon Oriente, and a day exploring Lisbon. I did however get distracted from my early night in that someone at the hostel had a guitar, so I couldn’t resist blowing out a few tunes for the guys before I turned in.

shredder1

Established Member
Portugal and Northern Spain, (Day 6). Monday 8th May 2023.

I was up and showered at the hostel, and out for 05.00 to the platforms of Porto Campanha and in time for the 05.32 CP Pendolino down to Lisbon Oriente. It was a beautiful morning, although I slept a little on the way down. After taking a few photographs at the cathedral like, Oriente station. I purchased a suburban day ticket for 7EU and started heading for all Lisbon’s termini stations.

My first suburban train took me to one of Lisbon`s smaller suburban termini, Alcantara-Terra, one line continues beyond the station and through the streets to join up with the Cais do Sodre line, but I didn’t really have time to explore that line at the time and I’m not sure the link still operates anyway. I returned from Alcantara-Terra, to the junction station at Campolide, which also has a depot catering for electric multiple units, located at the side of the station, so a lot of stock is visible from the platforms. From Campolide I caught a train to the next major terminus, the magnificent Lisbon Rossio, a lovely station building with a very majestic façade. I took breakfast at a kerbside café in front of the station, as I had only had a snack on the train on the way down.

My next move was from Lisbon Rossio to Benfica, probably better known as the home to Lisbon`s premier league football team. Changing at Benfica I needed to catch a train to Braco de Prata, with a change to Lisbon`s Santa Apolonia terminus station. A moderner looking station than Rossio, but also busier with a large yard on the way in and a few locos dotted around with a few shunters operating in the yards.

I then walked out to the ferry service, as I wanted to cross the river Tagus, I was heading for the former depot and workshops at Barreiro. It was a pleasant trip across the river on the ferry and only took around 15 minutes, plus it was covered on my suburban day pass. At Barreiro, a new two platformed station has been built on site next to the ferry port, at the side of the station, was some derelict land with the old station building still standing opposite and a line of half cut up carriage bodies. My train was due to leave so I didn’t really get time to explores the area as I would have liked, but on departing, we did pass a few buildings which looked like part of the old workshops and also a roundhouse from the rear, but I suspect it was closed and possibly in other use. It would be a very sorry sight for anyone revisiting, who remembers the days of the Portuguese class 50s, that once resided in the location.

From Barreiro I travelled up the line to Pinhal Novo, this is a main line station which the suburban line shares. I wanted to catch a train back over the bridge into Lisbon`s and realised that my ticket didn’t cover those services, so I went down to the ticket office to purchase an extra ticket, which would have been 3EU, but for some reason, the ticket office didn’t take cards at Pinhal Novo and I didn’t have cash. I went back up to the platforms as a train was due to got back to Barreiro and I spoke to a guard on the platform to explain my predicament, I thought he was a regional guard, his English was poor though and all he seemed to be able to say was impossible, impossible! So, I resigned myself to returning to Barreiro and catching the ferry back to Lisbon. I went to board the Barreiro train, but the guard I was talking too, was apparently a guard on that train and he wouldn’t let me on, I had a ticket and it was validated, I tried to explain this to him, but he didn’t seem to understand and closed the doors and the train went without me. A few minutes later the train I couldn’t get a ticket for, pulled into the station, so I had little choice but to catch it and explain to that guard what had happened. No guard came around though, the train crossed the bridge, I changed trains back onto a suburban unit and returned to Lisbon Oriente without issue. I booked my train back up to Porto, which was loco hauled behind a Siemens class 5600 series machine.

On the return journey we went through the huge yards, workshops and depot at Entroncamento, passing three large traverses and plenty of the older CP classes. I also saw two of the ALCO type locomotives parked up, one in brilliant yellow which I presume was on engineering duties. Entroncamento is also home to the Portuguese National Railway Museum, so it’s definitely a place I will visit next time.

I had booked a couple of nights in the second hostel I stayed at, a 6-minute walk from the railway station. I also called in at a local café for a traditional evening meal on the way back. When I asked for the bill, I was told they didn’t take cards, amazing, so I had to return to the railway station across the road to take some cash out from the machine on the wall, minimum amount 20EU and the machine charged mean extra 3EU, so probably best to avoid the backward cafes and restaurants that don’t take cards, most of them do though.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Places not taking cards these days is just crazy, in this day and age it feels like an alien concept. My local chippy doesn't do cards, but that I'm informed is most likely because they're Chinese and they don't believe in using card machines. I could be very misinformed there of course, they're lovely people and while I dislike using cash these days I make an exception for them.

shredder1

Established Member
Places not taking cards these days is just crazy, in this day and age it feels like an alien concept. My local chippy doesn't do cards, but that I'm informed is most likely because they're Chinese and they don't believe in using card machines. I could be very misinformed there of course, they're lovely people and while I dislike using cash these days I make an exception for them.
Yes especially in tourist areas. We have a lot of chippies and even ice cream vans that take cards now, Norway and Sweden are practically cashless countries, in fact I still use chip and pin and couldnt event use the toilets on the stations without contactless in Stockholm.

shredder1

Established Member
Portugal and Northern Spain, (Day 7). Tuesday 9th May 2023.

Another early start and my last full day in Porto. I was interested in the suburban lines of which there were four quite long ones, I caught the first suburban unit up to Braga, a terminus station for both Alfa Pendula’s and suburban traffic, returning on the same train back to the junction station at Lousado for another electric unit out to Guimaraes, another terminus station at the end of a branch.

I boarded the same unit back to Contumil, as it was still before noon and the sun was in the right direction for the CP class 2600s Id been trying to photograph, and on arrival nothing was parked in front of them. I took the photographs I wanted and caught the next train up to Ermesinde, the junction for the third line of the day. There was also a plinthed steam loco out side the station with an unusual wheel arrangement, a CP E201, 1-2-3-0 Tank locomotive.

The station building at Ermesinde are of a very modern unusual arty design. From Ermesinde I took a train along another suburban line to Marco de Canaveses, this was a through station that use to cross the border at Barca de Alva into Spain, but the lines appear to be out of use after Pocinho. I tried to buy a snack at Marco de Canaveses, but the only bar near the station didn’t accept cards and the nearest cash point was apparently miles away. I returned on the same train to its terminus, which was Porto Sao Bento, walked out to the Hard Rock café to add to my fridge magnet collection and I also had an excellent meal inside.

Returning to Porto Sao Bento and I was catching a train down to Aveiro, a junction for the metre gauge service which also serves the Alfa Pendular, high speed trains. While asking for direction to a supermarket from one of the locals, I was surprised to find he had a northern (British) accent, he was actually from Bury originally, but had lived in Portugal for the last 20 years, still not lost his accent though.

Returning to Aveiro railway station after my shopping trip, I caught the next suburban train back in to Porto Campanha. The train did however stop at a local station just before Campanha at Vila Nova de Gaia which has a small freight yard, but I noticed at the back of the yard there were about 6 old steam locomotives left abandoned and rusting away, had I had the time I would have loved to go exploring, but I didn’t fancy getting arrested and missing my plane the next day, but definitely a place worth visiting. I took a late tea in the city and returned to the hostel for my final night, having been satisfied by the lines I had managed to complete.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A most productive day there, and the finding of an ex-local guy must have been a bit of a surprise!

Definitely noted on the many places still doing cash only, just in case I actually make it back to Portugal!

shredder1

Established Member
A most productive day there, and the finding of an ex-local guy must have been a bit of a surprise!

Definitely noted on the many places still doing cash only, just in case I actually make it back to Portugal!

Yes indeed, Ill defo be back to Portugal at some point, next year maybe??

shredder1

Established Member
Portugal and Northern Spain, (Day 8). Wednesday 10th May 2023.

My last morning, and a few hours spent on Porto Campanha railway station, for breakfast and also while being rewarded with two freight diesel workings, a log train Northbound behind a Captrain Vossloh 4000 series, and a southbound on tankers behind CP class 1900/30 which was absolutely roaring through the station, there’s not many of these classes left now. There was also the charter, behind series CP 1400, these are internally similar to English Electric class 20s.

I took the Metro tram for the last time to the airport, I had an early afternoon flight, 13.25 from Porto and I was hoping to get back to my garage in North Manchester before it closed at 18.00, as I had left the car there all week for its MOT. I made it with ten minutes to spare, it cost me £139 for the MOT, so couldn’t grumble about that. I was home for 18.30 and working the next morning, it had been a great week, many thanks for reading.

Veteran Member
Pedantically, your 1-2-3-0 at Ermesinde is a 2-4-6-0 in Whyte notation.

Glad you enjoyed Portugal, I want to go back...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice work on making it back in time for the garage, £139 to me sounds like an expensive bill but then I've got no doubt similar coming up in a few days with my cycle. The ol' girl was second hand 11 months ago, I think something's just worn out and past its design life. Not ideal on the A6 but what can one do?

shredder1

Established Member
Nice work on making it back in time for the garage, £139 to me sounds like an expensive bill but then I've got no doubt similar coming up in a few days with my cycle. The ol' girl was second hand 11 months ago, I think something's just worn out and past its design life. Not ideal on the A6 but what can one do?

The car I have now is one of the lads cast offs, the kids give me all their old cars, but they work fine for me, lol

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Slovakia, (Day 1). Friday 7th July 2023.

The purpose of this trip was essentially to finish off the Cierny Balog forest lines and concentrate on several lines in the north east of Slovakia and the south west of the country, with the usual shed bashing forays, and a few depots and lines around eastern Czech.

Id taken a late flight from Manchester on Thursday night, arriving into Prague at around 01.30 Friday morning. Surprisingly I met Robert Prichard at the airport, who was catching the same plane as me, but I left him after we landed in Prague, Robert is the author of several excellent books including the Platform 5 European handbook number 8, Czech & Slovakian Railways, Locomotives, Multiple Units, Metros & Trams.

I caught the all-night bus into the city and was catching a train out just after 05.00, so it was not really worth booking an hotel for the night, instead I went for a ride on one of the all-night trams. I purchase a summer all line ticket at Prague H ln, at £23, incredible value for 7 days. The first train I caught took me to the other side of the country, Breclav and time for the first shed bash of the trip. I always ask around depots like Breclav and have not never been down yet, such is the friendliness of the Czech and Slovak railwaymen the depot was packed as usually and I had an excellent visit.

The next train took me across the border into Slovakia, Bratislava, where I spent a few hours on the main station before catching a train out to Nove Zamky, another regular depot I like to visit, it was not as busy as it has been though, but I still had an excellent visit and later returned to Bratislava for a few hours catching a later trip up to Zilina for the night. I had booked my normal go to Hotel Slovakia, at £20 a night, it is one of the cheapest in the city, I slept well that first night.