• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shrinkflation - examples?

Darandio

Established Member
Both been "re-formulated" in recent years, this following the change in Cadbury's ownership in/after 2005, and are almost undoubtedly now made using cheaper / inferior quality ingredients. "Shrinkflation" of sorts! :rolleyes:

Although it was never advertised as such the Creme Egg chocolate was the same recipe as Dairy Milk. Following a cost cutting exercise feedback from customers it was changed to a different cheaper recipe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Typhoon

Established Member
The head honcho at Kraft was called to a select committee over when that company broke its employment promises after the takeover of Cadburys. She didn't turn up.

Given the recipe changes as well, she should have been disbarred from running a company in this country.
I think she should be named - Irene Rosenfeld. Disbarred, certainly, unfortunately too late to do that now, she has retired (and probably living on a a sizeable bonus for getting the deal done so easily, very generous pension, and share dividends), but she should have a restraint order preventing her from ever going within 100 miles of Birmingham, Bristol and York. Likewise the spineless management (the chairman got a knighthood in 2011). The Cadbury name used to mean something, not just in terms of chocolate - no more. Kraft means synthetic tasting cheese slices, and still does! (Actually those cheese triangle things seem to have shrunk too, judging by the box.)
Still she did manage to get Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, and Bernie Sanders to agree on something - that moving jobs from Chicago to Mexico needed to be opposed.

I should add that I lived in Birmingham, not far from Bournville, at the time.
I once bought a loaf of Warburtons bread, putting it in the freezer I thought that's a bit small compared to the one already in there - it was only 750g instead of 800g but the same price.
My supermarket own brand loaf is still 800g, still they have to pay for the Clooney ads somehow!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think she should be named - Irene Rosenfeld. Disbarred, certainly, unfortunately too late to do that now, she has retired (and probably living on a a sizeable bonus for getting the deal done so easily, very generous pension, and share dividends), but she should have a restraint order preventing her from ever going within 100 miles of Birmingham, Bristol and York. Likewise the spineless management (the chairman got a knighthood in 2011). The Cadbury name used to mean something, not just in terms of chocolate - no more. Kraft means synthetic tasting cheese slices, and still does! (Actually those cheese triangle things seem to have shrunk too, judging by the box.)
Still she did manage to get Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, and Bernie Sanders to agree on something - that moving jobs from Chicago to Mexico needed to be opposed.

I should add that I lived in Birmingham, not far from Bournville, at the time.

My supermarket own brand loaf is still 800g, still they have to pay for the Clooney ads somehow!

I would certainly agree with stripping a few knighthoods "pour encourager les autres" who may be tempted to sell British industry down the river.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Generally I too would rather the price increased.

I've not yet seen the 145/102g tins of tuna yet - the last I bought in Aldi were 160/112g.
In batch cooking once they dropped to xxx / 120g I started using three tins rather than two. This is around the same time as the larger tins disappeared from the shelves.

I've just looked at the Aldi & Hovis bread I normally buy and both are still 800g.

A jar of lemon curd is an odd 411g, back in time that would have been 454g.
The tuna is Princes Tuna Chunks, it went to that size in August 2020*. I now buy the Princes Drained Tuna Steak which is more expensive than chunks for the same drained weight, but is it better than chunks? I don't know yet, I've only just consumed the last of my stock of chunks. Tuna is one of those things you can easily keep in a cupboard for years 'just in case' there is some kind if supply problem, or a worldwide virus epidemic or something.

Princes tuna steaks drained110/102g drained£ 1.508/20
Princes tuna steaks drainedx 3 offer£ 3.008/20
Princes tuna chunks145/102g drained£ 1.258/20
Princes tuna chunksx 4 offer£ 3.508/20
Thinking of that - the best part of 43g of a 145g package you just pour down the sink.

The Warburtons bread was a one off, a few years ago, but the wrapper was printed with 750g rather than someone having took out a couple of slices out and resealed it!

*I have checked the Tesco website, it is quoting 145g/102g. Customer feedback suggests that the change had happened by January 2019.

I would certainly agree with stripping a few knighthoods "pour encourager les autres" who may be tempted to sell British industry down the river.
Having concerned myself with the ever-shrinking weight of Persil, I looked at the alternatives. Fairy non-bio powder is made in the UK (Proctor & Gamble), whilst Persil (Unilever) is made in Spain. Might as well support British manufacturing jobs where you can.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The tuna is Princes Tuna Chunks, it went to that size in August 2020*. I now buy the Princes Drained Tuna Steak which is more expensive than chunks for the same drained weight, but is it better than chunks? I don't know yet, I've only just consumed the last of my stock of chunks. Tuna is one of those things you can easily keep in a cupboard for years 'just in case' there is some kind if supply problem, or a worldwide virus epidemic or something.

Princes tuna steaks drained110/102g drained£ 1.508/20
Princes tuna steaks drainedx 3 offer£ 3.008/20
Princes tuna chunks145/102g drained£ 1.258/20
Princes tuna chunksx 4 offer£ 3.508/20
Thinking of that - the best part of 43g of a 145g package you just pour down the sink.

The Warburtons bread was a one off, a few years ago, but the wrapper was printed with 750g rather than someone having took out a couple of slices out and resealed it!

*I have checked the Tesco website, it is quoting 145g/102g

Having concerned myself with the ever-shrinking weight of Persil, I looked at the alternatives. Fairy non-bio powder is made in the UK (Proctor & Gamble), whilst Persil (Unilever) is made in Spain. Might as well support British manufacturing jobs where you can.

Indeed - although to be fair to Unilever, I suppose at least they haven't screwed around with the product (as far as I'm aware !).

DelayRepay

Established Member
And lots of other changes I don't like...
Quality St/ Roses, sometimes get them as gifts, they are just not the same. Boring wrappers, whirl no longer defined.
Revels not he same.
Walnut Whips not the same.
Cadbury's Dairy Milk does not taste the same to me as it used to.
Creme Eggs, not the same taste.
Mars bar, the size is a joke.
Marathon Bars/ Opal Fruits, I don't purchase anything where the name has changed which only leaves US trips for the former.

You can add Celebrations (the chocolates) to that list. They stopped the Galaxy Truffles and now seem to consist mainly of Bountys.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've a lot of time for Quality Street. They seem to have maintained more of their character than their competitors and the crunchy orange one is a good addition.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I've a lot of time for Quality Street. They seem to have maintained more of their character than their competitors and the crunchy orange one is a good addition.
I do like Quality Street in principle - unfortunately the fact that the brand is Nestlé-owned means I'll never buy it. I won't decline it if offered by someone else, as the chocolate itself is quite good, I just refuse to put any money myself into that abomination of a company.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I do like Quality Street in principle - unfortunately the fact that the brand is Nestlé-owned means I'll never buy it. I won't decline it if offered by someone else, as the chocolate itself is quite good, I just refuse to put any money myself into that abomination of a company.

If only it was still owned by Mackintosh !

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Or even Rowntree Mackintosh !!

Indeed - I don't remember seeing Rowntree on the tin but it might have been there.

I'm quite happy to buy QS as the factory is in Halifax. However I insist on calling the owning company by its correct pronounciation "Nestles" (rhymes with John Nettles).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
However I insist on calling the owning company by its correct pronounciation "Nestles" (rhymes with John Nettles).
Correct? Really?! Why, then, does this Swiss company spell their own name with an é (acute) ?

Should therefore, IMHO, be pronounced "nest-lay" or "ness-lay".

Anyhoo, perhaps we can return back to our previously-programmed topic of conversation, which was, if I correctly recall, "Shrinkflation". 8-)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Correct? Really?! Why, then, does this Swiss company spell their own name with an é (acute) ?

Should therefore, IMHO, be pronounced "nest-lay" or "ness-lay".

Anyhoo, perhaps we can return back to our previously-programmed topic of conversation, which was, if I correctly recall, "Shrinkflation". 8-)

Correct because it's as pronounced on the historical milky bar adverts.

Anyhow, back to shrinkflation :lol:

MotCO

Established Member
Does anyone have evidence, packs and prices from decades ago?

I got VERY annoyed by oatcakes, round in a square box with lots of air at the top, but I think standard box sizes may be something to do with it.

The Guardian sometimes has pictures of strange BOGOF, buy one get one free, offers, something like: 'was a pound each, now five for a fiver!'

I am retired now so I spend time at home checking prices, and buy accordingly.

I've had something worse than that. I can't remember the exact details, but it was something like £1 each or 2 for £3. I wanted to buy 2, but could not take the risk that I would be charged £3 when I only wanted to be charged £2.

Gloster

Established Member
I've had something worse than that. I can't remember the exact details, but it was something like £1 each or 2 for £3. I wanted to buy 2, but could not take the risk that I would be charged £3 when I only wanted to be charged £2.
I have occasionally seen the same. For a short while there was a box of some own brand (Christmas?) biscuits at, I think, the old Safeway that was £2 per box, but £5 for two. However, it was only a few days before the individual price was increased; I think the mistake was what head office had fed into the computer.

There is a simple method: buy one, pay for it and take your receipt. Then buy the other in a separate transaction.

The Danish Railway Club used to have a neat little formica (or similar) notice in their headquarters offering postcards at 3 kroner each or three for 10 kroner. It was a joke, but it caught some people.

On a slight tangent: one of the charity shops was doing a BOGOF on second-hand books. I had found one book that I wanted, but the woman would not ring it up on the till and insisted that I must buy two. I had to go back to the shelf, grab a second book, return to the till and pay the price on the book I had originally chosen. I then immediately donated the second book back.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
On a slight tangent: one of the charity shops was doing a BOGOF on second-hand books. I had found one book that I wanted, but the woman would not ring it up on the till and insisted that I must buy two. I had to go back to the shelf, grab a second book, return to the till and pay the price on the book I had originally chosen. I then immediately donated the second book back.
Definitely off topic as regards 'shrinkflation', but that's just plain bonkers. Surely on a "BOGOF" deal (= buy one get one free) the cost of one book (the one you wanted) would have been the same as two. What crazy till system is making you buy two (unless the overall cost of two books would then somehow have been less than just one). :rolleyes:

Typhoon

Established Member
I've had something similar, but this did make some sense. It was some sort of crisp like snack, all flavours were 2 for £2.50 or 1 for £1.50 - except one which was £1 (genuine - they were trying to clear it out). That was a favourite so I had two, used self service and put the second through as a separate transaction (I thought a third as another transaction was pushing it).

You haven't seen the piles of stock they have got round the back! People have been clearing out during lockdown.

Gloster

Established Member
You haven't seen the piles of stock they have got round the back! People have been clearing out during lockdown.

This was several years ago, long before COVID had ever been heard of. (I have seen the books that are stacked up at the local Oxfam.)

Typhoon

Established Member
This was several years ago, long before COVID had ever been heard of. (I have seen the books that are stacked up at the local Oxfam.)
In that case, don't go back! It will be Buy One Get Two Free - and she won't accept re-donations!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I have a book of antonyms, words with opposing meanings.

Obviously 'half-empty' is the opposite of 'half-full', but what might be the opposite of 'shrinkflation'?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member

Obviously 'half-empty' is the opposite of 'half-full', but what might be the opposite of 'shrinkflation'?
Dunno, has that ever happened except as a promotion? Even less likely a larger pack and a lower price.

Presumably shrinkflation has a limit. There will come a time when a product cannot be reduced further eg a packet of crisp or tin of tuna flake (both singular). At that point the 'share bag' will have shrunk to 50g and become the new standard pack, and the family sized tuna will be 200g, and around we go again.

david1212

Established Member
Perhaps the concept of price increases doesn't work too well in retail environments where a uniform selling price is the key selling proposition, i.e. your archetypal "pound" or "99p" shop.

I see "pound" or "99p" shops differently to the main supermarkets etc.

Here indeed their only option is reducing the quantity i.e. pack weight or number of items packed together.

I've not looked since things I do not buy but I recall back in time the weight of items in multipacks e.g. crisps would be less than from the supermarket chains.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I see "pound" or "99p" shops differently to the main supermarkets etc.

Here indeed their only option is reducing the quantity i.e. pack weight or number of items packed together.

I've not looked since things I do not buy but I recall back in time the weight of items in multipacks e.g. crisps would be less than from the supermarket chains.
Think originally that most multi packs at discount outlets were same sized as those from supermarkets, but gradually this equivalence seens to have been eroded away; as @Peter Mugridge mentioned upthread in post #33, multipacks of Walkers crisps at certain "poundshop" outlets now contain as few as four individual packs of the product. Buyer beware! :rolleyes:

david1212

Established Member
Think originally that most multi packs at discount outlets were same sized as those from supermarkets, but gradually this equivalence seens to have been eroded away; as @Peter Mugridge mentioned upthread in post #33, multipacks of Walkers crisps at certain "poundshop" outlets now contain as few as four individual packs of the product. Buyer beware! :rolleyes:

Indeed Buyer beware! :rolleyes:

With say Jacobs Club or Kit-kat the quantity of a multi-pack normally is clear but picking up on my post above are the individual items the the same size / weight as packs from ' insert name of preferred mainstream supermarket chain ' ?
I've just looked and for the Kit-kit I have the weight is stated but I can not find the weight directly anywhere on Rocky biscuit bars. It can be determined from the nutrition information of a bar and 100g that each bar is 21g.

For things like crisps the number of bags inside the multicolour multi-pack outer bag must be require more careful reading in addition to the weigh or each bag.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I would call 'shrinkflation' 'outflation', the opposite of which is .... :)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I would call 'shrinkflation' 'outflation', the opposite of which is ....
'Outflation' is the collapse of a currency by the printing of too much paper money.

So not really to do with being short-measured when buying food items and similar.

Like your thinking, though! ;)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
'Outflation' is the collapse of a currency by the printing of too much paper money.

So not really to do with being short-measured when buying food items and similar.

Like your thinking, though! ;)
So we'll get two for the price of one, a sort of flation BOGOF, the coming outflation coupled with shrinkflation. Those 'interesting times' many craved for will provide some nasty bites!