• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunter Driver Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1971

I have just received notification that I have an interview for the position of shunter driver with a FOC. Is it possible to just have an ‘interview’ to see if I am suitable for the position, or would this be the first step before I takes assessments & further interviews? I have not done any tests in the lead up to the interview, I just applied direct from the FOC’s careers site. The e-mail notification I have received does not mention any future tests or assessments.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Depends on the company and what exactly "shunter driver" entails. Which company is it?

Last edited:

Alex1971

Some interview first. If the interview goes well they will have you do any relevant testing.

See this is what is confusing me a bit, I have sat the test for a shunter driver before but never got anywhere with it, it was with the same company (Freightliner). The tests were first which I presume I bombed, this time I have gone straight to an interview, I'm just wondering if its possible to learn on the job if the interview was a success, or is it mandatory for new shunter drivers to sit tests before they get offered a position?

Bucephalus

As far as I know, any driving roles require full psychometric tests done in person. It makes sense for the FOC to interview first because the tests are hard and you only get 2 attempts. Once those 2 lives are used up you cannot drive for any company.

When I applied for a non-driving shunter role with Freightliner I still had to do a couple of tests (online) - which I failed

Status
Not open for further replies.