• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[SI/DE] How to reserve sleeper EN414 Ljubjlana - München Ost - Stuttgart

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Hello everyone.

Looking ahead to June, and a probable Interrail trip with some students. I will need to reserve overnight accommodation on board EN414 from Ljubljana to either München Ost or Stuttgart. It seems like you can't do this online. Does anyone have any tips for making this reservation outside Slovenia?

(EN414 seems to be a portion of the Zagreb - Salzburg - Zurich train...)

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rvdborgt

Thanks both. Will keep an eye on the booking horizon and follow those steps.
You can already book for June (and the rest of the summer).
Night trains are getting booked up pretty quick this summer, although this one doesn't look too bad yet. But you'd better not wait too long.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Many thanks for these explanations. Was not aware of the "Interrail as a discount" trick. (Very similar to how I book SJ night trains in Sweden with Interrail).

Next question, and thanks for your patience: the couchette options clearly state that the compartment will be shared, but the "compartment with 3 beds" / "...2 beds" do not. If I book a single reservation in the 3 bed or 2 bed compartments, will I be sharing?

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 08.02.13.png

Nunners

Many thanks for these explanations. Was not aware of the "Interrail as a discount" trick. (Very similar to how I book SJ night trains in Sweden with Interrail).

Next question, and thanks for your patience: the couchette options clearly state that the compartment will be shared, but the "compartment with 3 beds" / "...2 beds" do not. If I book a single reservation in the 3 bed or 2 bed compartments, will I be sharing?

View attachment 131239
You will be sharing with a member (or two) of the same sex.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Basic info re what one calls just sleeper:
couchette (liegewagen in german) is a kind of basic bunk-´rolling hoStel´ cabin has 6 seats/bunks, lately some are sold at premium as just 4 to have more space. Pretty cramped. Shared sex, though some female-only cabins are now set aside. The old original idea was one sleeps in daytime clothes or similar.
Sleeper/Schlafwagen/wagons-lits(spalni vagon in slavic): real beds, should even be made up for you, so no real daytime seats, 3 in a cabin, only same sex if shared, in premium only 2 sold-there is a clever way to then make more space in between. It should go without saying that seat61.com has also all this info. At normal mid-euro supplmt prices a sleeper cost about double a couchette p.p. -or also about same as a decent hotelroom (think Ibis etc.) would cost over there-for the room, not just a bed. It should perhaps be added that the promo is always that this is the very best-all is relative in life and a lot will depend on age and when was last renovation done of that car.
Confusion very often seems to arise with Brits due to language and lack of liegewagen on that island.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Basic info re what one calls just sleeper:
couchette (liegewagen in german) is a kind of basic bunk-´rolling hoStel´ cabin has 6 seats/bunks, lately some are sold at premium as just 4 to have more space. Pretty cramped. Shared sex, though some female-only cabins are now set aside. The old original idea was one sleeps in daytime clothes or similar.
Sleeper/Schlafwagen/wagons-lits(spalni vagon in slavic): real beds, should even be made up for you, so no real daytime seats, 3 in a cabin, only same sex if shared, in premium only 2 sold-there is a clever way to then make more space in between. It should go without saying that seat61.com has also all this info. At normal mid-euro supplmt prices a sleeper cost about double a couchette p.p. -or also about same as a decent hotelroom (think Ibis etc.) would cost over there-for the room, not just a bed. It should perhaps be added that the promo is always that this is the very best-all is relative in life and a lot will depend on age and when was last renovation done of that car.
Confusion very often seems to arise with Brits due to language and lack of liegewagen on that island.
We had some "couchettes" here built in the Grouping Era (for the LMS, IIRC) and which operated well into the BR era.

Some pictures of the sleepers on EN414 can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.