• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signal visibility during thick fog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donny158

I was in Manchester Piccadilly today and whilst awaiting my train to Doncaster I observed the departure of a train on the opposite platform. The Guard of the train was awaiting a green/amber signal and I noticed how far away the signal was at the top end of the platform. This got me wondering if this signal would actually be visible during thick fog and what would the procedure be if the signal was not visible? I assume the signals must have some sort of special lighting as I don't ever recall the rail network grinding to a halt during thick fog! Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Without knowing the state at Piccadilly the guard probably was watching for an OFF indicator rather than the signal itself. At big stations with complex throats and many chances for cross reading signals these are provided somewhere along the platform where they can only be easily seen on the relevant platform. They sort of repeat the signal, if the signal is showing a red aspect (being ON) the indicator will be unlit, if showing any proceed aspect (not sure about subsidiary aspects though) they will be lit and show the word "OFF". Banner repeaters are sometimes used, same theory, horizontal when signal on, 45 degrees when off.

If a guard cannot see a signal and no indicator is provided then they are expected to get into a position where they can see them. In short, walk along the platform until its visible. In theory a call can be made to the controlling signaller but I believe the signaller cannot say the signal is off but that it is "set in your favour" or words to that effect.

The rail network doesn't grind to a halt with fog but it does slow down, its one of the various causes of the massive annual delays seen in winter and leaf fall season.

Donny158

Thanks for the information, it answers everything for me!! ??????. I didn't notice the "off" indicator at Piccadilly but now you have mentioned it I have noticed these before at other stations! Thanks again!

Veteran Member
OFF indicators are specifically for staff despatching trains, banner repeaters for signal sighting where visibility is permanently restricted. Neither is specifically fog related.
Time was, with oil-lit signalling, no AWS, and heavy air pollution, that fog had a major impact on punctuality. I'm old enough to remember published Fog Service timetables, and being walked home through the last London smog....

Last edited:

SemaphoreSam

Is it in the near, or far, future, that signal indications will be readable on the footplate, without looking out windows? I think it's on some equipment now, but will it become universal? If so, will lineside signaling disappear eventually? Weather considerations would be lessened, and huge signaling cost savings would be realized, no? Sam

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Portsmouth Harbour has three banner repeaters each on platforms 3-5 with two provided on platform 1, this is due to the curvature of the station with no off indicators provided at all. Likewise platform 11 at Clapham Junction has a banner repeater but no off indicator. Banner repeaters are for guards and platform staff as much drivers.

TheEdge

Established Member
OFF indicators are specifically for platform staff, banner repeaters for drivers where visibility is permanently restricted.

I can think of two places where banners are used by platform staff and guards instead of OFF indicators and or directly viewing the signal. Those being Liverpool Street and Acle.

dk1

Veteran Member
I can think of two places where banners are used by platform staff and guards instead of OFF indicators and or directly viewing the signal. Those being Liverpool Street and Acle.

I can always give you 2 on the buzzer first. The Acle banner can be very difficult to spot ;)

Veteran Member
Is it in the near, or far, future, that signal indications will be readable on the footplate, without looking out windows? I think it's on some equipment now, but will it become universal? If so, will lineside signaling disappear eventually? Weather considerations would be lessened, and huge signaling cost savings would be realized, no? Sam

short answer: it's done now, it will become more common, they will theoretically disappear, money MAY be saved.

21C101

Established Member
Portsmouth Harbour has three banner repeaters each on platforms 3-5 with two provided on platform 1, this is due to the curvature of the station with no off indicators provided at all. Likewise platform 11 at Clapham Junction has a banner repeater but no off indicator. Banner repeaters are for guards and platform staff as much drivers.

Indeed, I think though the difference is that "OFF" indicators cannot be used by drivers to assume the signal is clear whereas banner repeaters can.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

ERTMS equipment is in use on the Cambrian line, and is supposed to appear on the Great Western and East Coast main lines over the next decade or so. There aren't really signals as such, instead the driver has a display indicating the safe speed and the brakes go on if it isn't obeyed.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Last edited:

muz379

Established Member
Without knowing the state at Piccadilly the guard probably was watching for an OFF indicator rather than the signal itself. At big stations with complex throats and many chances for cross reading signals these are provided somewhere along the platform where they can only be easily seen on the relevant platform. They sort of repeat the signal, if the signal is showing a red aspect (being ON) the indicator will be unlit, if showing any proceed aspect (not sure about subsidiary aspects though) they will be lit and show the word "OFF". Banner repeaters are sometimes used, same theory, horizontal when signal on, 45 degrees when off.

If a guard cannot see a signal and no indicator is provided then they are expected to get into a position where they can see them. In short, walk along the platform until its visible. In theory a call can be made to the controlling signaller but I believe the signaller cannot say the signal is off but that it is "set in your favour" or words to that effect.

The rail network doesn't grind to a halt with fog but it does slow down, its one of the various causes of the massive annual delays seen in winter and leaf fall season.
As far as I am aware the off indicator also lights for subsidiary aspects for example if the main aspect is red but the position lights are lit to shunt into sidings or something .

Indeed, I think though the difference is that "OFF" indicators cannot be used by drivers to assume the signal is clear whereas banner repeaters can.

This is also my understanding , the visual indication coupled with the AWS sounding a warning would indicate the repeated signal was at caution or preliminary caution, no AWS and the repeated signal is on proceed .

All the off indicator is for is to tell the staff dispatching the train that the signal is in an aspect at which the train can proceed past it . Depending on the aspect the driver then proceeds accordingly .
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I can always give you 2 on the buzzer first. The Acle banner can be very difficult to spot ;)

This , although not an official method of working . The effect is the same . The guard is made aware the signal is displaying a proceed asoect . The driver is aware that the signal is not ON

moggie

OFF indicators show OFF when the signal is controlled to a proceed aspect including a PL aspect if provided. Indeed they are primarily provided for staff carrying out train despatch duties from a position where the platform starter signal might often be unsighted by either platform buildings or the train which is being despatched. As such their sighting performance is low as they only ever need to be viewed over short distances. So typically this may be left hand positioned signals on right hand side platforms, but there are other scenarios.

Banner signals have much better sighting characteristics for their primarily purpose to aid the driver where the main signal sighting is constrained and therefore need to be viewed over greater distances to be of any use. If the position of the banner coincides with a platform which might otherwise require OFF indicators to aid train despatch then the Banner will suffice instead.

21C101

Established Member
Nobody viewing this forum will be able to see the hotlinked image in post #13 (unless it was already present in their internet cache), because I have taken measures to discourage hotlinking. All they will see instead is an annoying flashing warning notice.

I think we noticed that from Yorkies post. I still have the spots in my eyes. :lol:

Seriously though, have you considered the possibilty that such rapid flashing might affect someone epileptic?

carriageline

Established Member
I know of a location where a double sided OFF indicator is used on a running line, which repeats a semaphore signal. Prize for whoever can tell me where ;) (presuming there isn't many around!)

PS it's not on a platform lol

Railsigns

Established Member
I think we noticed that from Yorkies post. I still have the spots in my eyes. :lol:

Seriously though, have you considered the possibilty that such rapid flashing might affect someone epileptic?

No, I hadn't, but it's a fair point. I can alter the flashing rate. Some adverts I've seen on certain websites are even worse, mind.

Searle

Established Member
21C101:1883024 said:
Nobody viewing this forum will be able to see the hotlinked image in post #13 (unless it was already present in their internet cache), because I have taken measures to discourage hotlinking. All they will see instead is an annoying flashing warning notice.

That was my thought as well, made my room temporarily into a club with all the flashing x_x

LowLevel

Established Member
Stockport is another with helpfully positioned (albeit a tad unreliable) platform banner repeaters instead of OFF indicators.

TDK

Established Member
In theory a call can be made to the controlling signaller but I believe the signaller cannot say the signal is off but that it is "set in your favour" or words to that effect.

The guard will contact the driver and not the signal box, because if the driver cannot see the signal they would not take the word of the guard that the signal is off Fog will only cause minor delays as drivers can drive at linespeed in fog and know where everything is under poor visibility conditions, leaf fall is probably the highest annual cause of delay throughout the whole year.

455driver

Veteran Member

Really!
So I have been doing it wrong all these years because I drive the same speed in fog as I do in any other weather conditions*!

*Freezing conditions likely to effect traction/braking excepted!

LowLevel

Established Member
If semaphore distants and double blocking get involved it can slow you down but with a few exceptions I don't think there are that many properly busy sections of line signalled in this fashion left.

455driver

Veteran Member
If semaphore distants and double blocking get involved it can slow you down but with a few exceptions I don't think there are that many properly busy sections of line signalled in this fashion left.

There are no semaphores anywhere I (and most other train drivers) drive trains but dont let that stop you looking for some silly little exception to get your point across will you! :roll:

LowLevel

Established Member
I would dispute the most part (for now) but will concede that's changing! Still plenty of them about all over the place. I sign quite a few hundred miles of railway as a guard and they're still all over the place around here. Not many of my routes are semaphore/AB free so they certainly figure in my mind more than your own I guess.

Tomnick

Established Member
All that stuff about double blocking has gone from the latest issue of the comic anyway! The only time I've really noticed fog causing a delay is when a train's missed the distant and the home signal is a semaphore that's not particularly visible.

najaB

Veteran Member
There are no semaphores anywhere I (and most other train drivers) drive trains but dont let that stop you looking for some silly little exception to get your point across will you! :roll:
There're still quite a few semaphores left up here in Scotland, and not just on branch lines.

Minilad

Established Member
Worcester. Arrrrrggggghhhhh!!

Fog shouldn't really slow anything down. Not if you have a driver up front who knows his road. Thats what we are paid to do

Status
Not open for further replies.