• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller Assessment Centre 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railblazer

I've managed to get through to the next part of the recruitment process and have been invited to an assessment centre.

Is there anyone here with some information on the new recruitment process?

I'm not going to be sent any practice papers in the post and have just been asked to look at a booklet on the Network Rail site. In the booklet there is nothing about a coloured dots test which I have seen many people commenting on in the forums. Do they still do this test ?

Also will there be any group exercises or presentations?

I would be so grateful for any information on this, thankyou.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railblazer

Hiya Tom, yes I'm an external candidate and it's going to be for a grade 5 position!

I tried to get more information when I confirmed my place and the woman said there might be a group activity and a presentation but she wasn't completely sure.

I also need to know whether to take a calculator in for the speed distance test? And will there be a lunch break in between?

TomBoyd

If its the same as when I did it, it's very straight forward, and they sent a document detailing what it would entail.

Are you sure they haven't said anything?

You wont need a calculator, the speed/distance stuff is really easy.

Railblazer

I see, thanks for that.

And nope, they just said refer to the online booklet! So I'm doubting there will be anything in the post :/

rustynails07

Hi Railblazer

First, congrats for getting there!

The coloured dots test you refer to is a simple colour blindness test, very simple do not worry about it, you just say the number that you can visualise within lots of coloured dots

The order of the assesments will be:

Map search, searching a map to find the same symbol in a given time limit
Lift counting, listening to a tone and counting what floor the lift is on while searching another map
Lift counting with reversal, counting 3 different tones going up and down, and working out what floor it stops at
Telephone directory search, searching a list to find 2 of the same symbol in a time limit
Lottery ticket, listening to a recording of lots and lots of lottery ticket numbers, then writing down when you hear tickets that end in 2 of the same letter
Fault finding, you are shown diagrams of open and closed gates, and a pattern to how each works, you have to work out using the diagram which gates do not work
Procedures, listen to a recording on train procedures then answer multiple choice questions
Rules Application, using provided diagrams, you must determine whether it is safe for a train to move across sections of track depending on open or closed crossing or what colour the signal is
Speed and time test, standard mathematical questions, no calculator allowed (or needed)

I hope this helps, if you google signaller recruitment selection booklet, you should find all of the above in more detail. Good luck mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.