• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling Diagram Abbreviations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mothball

Merry Christmas all!
While scanning Traksy looking at the Christmas messages left by signallers in the area, I noticed a lot of the berths around the Ordsall Chord/Manchester Victoria area had "ITEM *57*", can anyone tell me what this would mean and are there any other regular abbreviations used?
Some seem fairly clear, T3 for possessions, "Shut" "O.O.U" and "NO GO" etc.
Scanning further I can see a few "T375" and "C86", do these have a generic meaning or is it purely based on whatever reference the signaller chooses to use?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
Merry Christmas all!
While scanning Traksy looking at the Christmas messages left by signallers in the area, I noticed a lot of the berths around the Ordsall Chord/Manchester Victoria area had "ITEM *57*", can anyone tell me what this would mean and are there any other regular abbreviations used?
Some seem fairly clear, T3 for possessions, "Shut" "O.O.U" and "NO GO" etc.
Scanning further I can see a few "T375" and "C86", do these have a generic meaning or is it purely based on whatever reference the signaller chooses to use?

Thanks!
Leeds showing T375's, **** and a couple of 'SHUT's
I am assuming that T375 has a specific meaning.

Mostly the signallers make it up.

As you say, "T3" is (was?) the rulebook module number about possessions, but item-X will just be that the particular possesion is item number X in one of the regular operating notices (weekly or periodic I forget which has them in). So your "ITEM""*57* " and "T357" (read as T3-57 but the berth only takes 4 characters) are just different signallers using there own ways to mark ends of posession number 57.

I would hazard a guess "C86 " could be a stabled class 86 loco.

mr_moo

Mostly the signallers make it up.

As you say, "T3" is (was?) the rulebook module number about possessions, but item-X will just be that the particular possesion is item number X in one of the regular operating notices (weekly or periodic I forget which has them in). So your "ITEM""*57* " and "T357" (read as T3-57 but the berth only takes 4 characters) are just different signallers using there own ways to mark ends of posession number 57.

I would hazard a guess "C86 " could be a stabled class 86 loco.
Yep, signallers often deal with multiple possessions in their area so sometimes (there's no convention or rule for this, it's just something that makes life easier for some signallers) they use the Weekly Operating Notice reference of part therof to help identify which tracks are in which possession.

Steve Harris

You might like to refer to this previous
thread which mentions certain abbreviations used. Post #164 in that thread is very helpful (if you don't want to read through all 12 pages).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.