• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling simulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul.S

Im not a signaller by profession, in fact im a lorry driver. Ive always been interested in signalling. I have used simsig and pc rail, but are there any other decent simulators out there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Temple Meads

Established Member
Having tried a few out over the years, I don't think you could find any better - or with such an active community - than SimSig.

MCR247

Established Member
The only one I've thought to be almost as good as simsig was called signalling centre. However this was years ago so their sims might be a bit dated

Paul.S

cheers everyone. I do enjoy simsig but the trouble I have is I don't like the scrolling of the screen to see everything. It used to be a separate page for each section of the line, I cant seem to find new sims that still do that....

MCR247

Established Member
Scrolling > paged IMO and a lot of people agree so all of the new sims are scrolly afaik

GB

Established Member
There is no hard and fast rule about new sims having to be scrolly. It depends on the individual developer so if he prefers paged, the sim will be paged and vice versa.

Personally I prefer scrolly as its easier to get where I want without having to remember whats on which page. Plus extending and scrolling across three screens looks impressive :lol:

oldrailman

I used PC Rail for years but must admit I'm now a confirmed Simsigger due to its much more 'real life' feel. I get on fine with the scrolly sims in general, but some need vertical scrolling, New St is a case in point.
I also tried Signalling Centre but found it much too fiddly as regards joining/splitting trains.

Mal.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Having used SimSig since July 2011 I will stick with it. I have all the simulations in the book for it. In addition I also think it is the best replica having once been for an organised visit to an IECC with a society group.

Dave

Muzer

Established Member
I'm also one of the minority who prefers paged. I do see a place for scrolly, but I think it is a little too overused. I certainly think sims of IECC areas should be paged like the actual area.

Paged sims that are still current (I'm counting a paged sim as something that still uses the page backend — since I've not seen a paged loader sim I'm not sure if the visual clues I'm using would still work. I'm referring to the orange buttons and the "overview" mode that contains a large text box and a few small thumbnails of the pages):
* North London Line
* Cambridge
* Sheffield
* Peterborough
* Royston (only one page)
* Drain (only one page)

Rather short list, I'm afraid.

But yeah, I do really love SimSig. I've got onto playing some of the much harder sims solo, and it's quite a fun challenge!

Last edited:

Temple Meads

Established Member
I'm sure a paged layout is fine if you're working in a real IECC, but for single player home use I find it a little hard to keep track of. Scrolly sims definitely seem to flow better, IMO.

Tomnick

Established Member
I'm also one of the minority who prefers paged. I do see a place for scrolly, but I think it is a little too overused. I certainly think sims of IECC areas should be paged like the actual area.
Of course, in reality, the signalman should be able to see the whole area under his control at once if he so chooses - the number of monitors vs the number of overview screens should always allow this. In Simsig, on the other hand, there's no way (is there?) of spreading a paged sim over more than one monitor without opening a second instance of a sim and running it as a client. I find the ability to spread a scrolly sim over three monitors invaluable when running a busy sim single-handed - New Street fits perfectly, with just enough room to leave the simplifier open at one end :) .

David Goddard

Established Member
I discovered Signalling Centre Software around twelve years ago, downloaded the first Windows Simulation and got hooked! Now have all four and love them. Unfortunately Andrew has closed down for now, but may return in the future. You can still download the one hour trials.
I have also downloaded a number of evaluation copies from PC Rail, but never bought a full simulation.
Interesting reason about the others out there, will have to investigate.

carriageline

Established Member
Of course, in reality, the signalman should be able to see the whole area under his control at once if he so chooses - the number of monitors vs the number of overview screens should always allow this. In Simsig, on the other hand, there's no way (is there?) of spreading a paged sim over more than one monitor without opening a second instance of a sim and running it as a client. I find the ability to spread a scrolly sim over three monitors invaluable when running a busy sim single-handed - New Street fits perfectly, with just enough room to leave the simplifier open at one end :) .

You can create a "New view" which just opens another window of the sim view which you can scroll into the appropriate position!

Edit: just seen you said paged, that I'm
Not sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.