• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Simplified overhead electrification

erk

It seems TPE have come up with a new design for overhead electrification. It might not however reduce the rate of pantograph entanglements. Photo taken at Manchester Piccadilly:
Photo shows overhead lines threaded through holes in the supporting gantries

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scrapy

Established Member
It seems TPE have come up with a new design for overhead electrification. It might not however reduce the rate of pantograph entanglements. Photo taken at Manchester Piccadilly:
View attachment 149966
It's not actually TPE that have come up with that marketing, it's the Transpennine Route Upgrade which is DFT/Network Rail. They've also started with TV adverts which depict a model railway which is what I think they are trying to show in that picture. There is also a giant boot and map in the picture that isn't true to life either!

DelW

Established Member
I know one shouldn't over-analyse humorous pictures like this, but can anyone work out what the object in the foreground field is meant to be? It looks to me like a giant three pin plug attached to two electric flexes, but why? (and if not, what is it?)

D6130

Established Member
I know one shouldn't over-analyse humorous pictures like this, but can anyone work out what the object in the foreground field is meant to be? It looks to me like a giant three pin plug attached to two electric flexes, but why? (and if not, what is it?)
Looks like an electric heater for keeping the sheep warm in winter!

stuu

Established Member
Is the field supposed to be an electric blanket?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Is that AI generated? The really odd window layout on the Northern unit seems to suggest so. That or a very abstract artist! :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thanks. It looks like the "double window" effect on the Northern unit isn't actually what's there, but rather it's the jerkiness of the video causing it to appear. I've come across that before, it's usually caused by getting the interlacing setting wrong when doing the final rendering.

driverd

The northern 331 is an attempt at one based on a bachmann 150. If you look closely at the underframe, doors and roof you can see the origins. The double windows is where they've added a divider to the centre of the 150 windows to give it a more civity look. No idea how they did the middle vehicle, though.

There's some giant posters in a few stations over this part of the world - do I have too much spare time at work to analyse such things? Probably, yes! :lol:

Benjwri

Established Member
It’s one of those adjustable plastic loops, presumably for the other boot. I’m not sure what you call them, but you press down on them and pull them along the lace, having the effect of tightening.

McRhu

There was a OLE design competition some years ago with some beautiful but in many cases totally impractical submissions. The holy grail - as always - was light, simple and unobtrusive (ironically everything that Series. 1 ain't).

Benjwri

Established Member
There was a OLE design competition some years ago with some beautiful but in many cases totally impractical submissions. The holy grail - as always - was light, simple and unobtrusive (ironically everything that Series. 1 ain't).

Which one are you suggesting that was?

I’m guess from the description though it was impractical because it’s simple design.

nlogax

Established Member
From the final shortlist Moxon eventually won the competition and in 2018 prototypes were built in conjunction with Mott McDonald. Bear in mind this was approaching six years ago..anyone know if these will actually be implemented on any HS2 sections?

https://moxonarchitects.com/projects/518-integrated-ols
Prototype HS2 OLE structure designed by Moxon and constructed by Mott McDonald
Patent Pending

As part of the UK’s signature high-speed rail project, Moxon, working in conjunction with engineer Mott MacDonald, has designed sleek and cost-effective integrated overhead line structures (OLE).

A clever innovation has allowed for the design to take a reduced profile, minimising visual clutter. Using composite materials with intrinsic electrical insulation properties, the structural and electrical protection requirements have been combined in a single new cantilever component. This eliminates the need for visibly obtrusive ceramic insulating pots.

The complexity of the structure is thus dramatically reduced, with a 70% reduction in part count relative to existing OLE systems, speeding up installation times and reducing whole life cost.

The reduction in height and overall lessened visual impact makes these OLES appropriate for sensitive sites while maintaining full interoperability with all other high speed OLE systems currently on the market.

DelW

Established Member
It’s one of those adjustable plastic loops, presumably for the other boot. I’m not sure what you call them, but you press down on them and pull them along the lace, having the effect of tightening.
Ah, good call - it doesn't seem to match the lace on the other boot, but I think you're spot on.

McRhu

Which one are you suggesting that was?

I’m guess from the description though it was impractical because it’s simple design.
The VelocitY option appealed to me on the above grounds. The problem would be the small matter of the tracks being too close together to allow for the centre-spread configuration.

From the final shortlist Moxon eventually won the competition and in 2018 prototypes were built in conjunction with Mott McDonald. Bear in mind this was approaching six years ago..anyone know if these will actually be implemented on any HS2 sections?

https://moxonarchitects.com/projects/518-integrated-ols
View attachment 149998
Many thanks for that. I didn't know they had actually created a real-life installation. I'm no OLE engineer, but I would think that the straight registration arm (no lift without catching the pan) and what looks like some issues with adjusting height of the cantilever might cause problems when released into the wild.

nlogax

Established Member
Many thanks for that. I didn't know they had actually created a real-life installation. I'm no OLE engineer, but I would think that the straight registration arm (no lift without catching the pan) and what looks like some issues with adjusting height of the cantilever might cause problems when released into the wild.
The Moxon page from the link shows another installation featuring a standard Series 1 F&F angled arm.

Msq71423

We were sent internally last week a short behind the scenes of this ad. No CGI involved- it was all animated traditionally with stop-motion animation. Have to admit when I first saw it I thought it was computer animated though.

Skie

It's a still from a short video ad on the upgrade project. Looks like a mix of 00 gauge and cheap cg though I could be wrong.

Not quite. It's a seperate shot of the set taken for print/web media. Biggest giveaway is that the trains have swapped lines and other little things have changed (like the location of the shoelace toggle).

Gostav

What is the top speed of such simple tramway style overhead electric line in realistic? 25mph?

Russel

The northern 331 is an attempt at one based on a bachmann 150. If you look closely at the underframe, doors and roof you can see the origins. The double windows is where they've added a divider to the centre of the 150 windows to give it a more civity look. No idea how they did the middle vehicle, though.

I've just zoomed in on the centre vehicle, I don't think it was from the 150, the body shape and roof detail is different to the two outer cars.