• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Simplon Route Closure Summer 2024

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
After booking flights to match trains on the Simplon-Lötschberg route in June, I've just discovered the Simplon route is closed in Italy (Arona-Stresa, but effectively Domodossola-Milano) from June 9 to September 8.
EC services from the north are truncated at Domodossola, and there are Trenitalia buses from there to Milano Centrale taking 2h20m (the EC trains take 1h36m).
The work around Stresa is apparently gauge clearance for larger international freight trains.
Given the long-term problems on the Fréjus and Gotthard routes it's a pity RFI have to close a third trans-Alpine route.

My intended route was on local trains from Malpensa airport to Domodossola via Gallarate, but that is now impossible.
I've booked on the Malpensa-Domodossola express bus instead to catch up with my Swiss itinerary.
I'll miss the scenic rail route along Lake Maggiore.
I'm posting this in case others have plans to use this route in the summer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peteb

If tunnel remains open for local services then Brig-Domodossola-Locarno-Milan and vice versa should be feasible via Centovali route. Maybe that's a possibility for you to salvage the trip?

StephenHunter

Established Member

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
If tunnel remains open for local services then Brig-Domodossola-Locarno-Milan and vice versa should be feasible via Centovali route. Maybe that's a possibility for you to salvage the trip?
The SBB journey planner offers some routeings via Centovali, but with extended journey times.
As a result I can't reach my Swiss destination (Interlaken) from my flight without resorting to the bus (which is quicker than the train anyway from Malpensa).
If I had more time it would be a enjoyable diversion. ;)